HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 7:27 PM
of Canada

University of Lethbridge

The University of Lethbridge has chosen a site for the Destination Project. Exciting things are around the corner I think.

http://www.uleth.ca/unews/article/un...demic-building

And the government is throwing in $200 million:

http://www.uleth.ca/unews/article/de...rnment-alberta

All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post
The University of Lethbridge has chosen a site for the Destination Project. Exciting things are around the corner I think.

http://www.uleth.ca/unews/article/un...demic-building

And the government is throwing in $200 million:

http://www.uleth.ca/unews/article/de...rnment-alberta

It's too bad the south wing of the building in the campus plan ca. 1968 will not be added to house the science facility referenced above. It would more or less have completed the original vision for the campus. But then the multiple lakes and streams and university centre were never built either.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 4:37 AM

As an alumnus of UofL, I'm quite excited about this project. While I didn't take any science classes, I did feel that the CCBN and Water Research Building were disconnected from the rest of the campus. This new building will help to bridge the research buildings to the rest of the campus.

My wish for a future project would be to build underground or above ground parkades on the site of the west lot. That sea of parking that is the west lot is such a terrible first impression into the campus.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
As an alumnus of UofL, I'm quite excited about this project. While I didn't take any science classes, I did feel that the CCBN and Water Research Building were disconnected from the rest of the campus. This new building will help to bridge the research buildings to the rest of the campus.

My wish for a future project would be to build underground or above ground parkades on the site of the west lot. That sea of parking that is the west lot is such a terrible first impression into the campus.
Parking has always been an eyesore on the campus. While I would have liked to see the original design followed, there's a chance here to make up for years of poor design decisions.

IIRC, the research buildings to the north were only the beginning of a planned larger research park.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2014, 9:24 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GernB View Post
It's too bad the south wing of the building in the campus plan ca. 1968 will not be added to house the science facility referenced above. It would more or less have completed the original vision for the campus. But then the multiple lakes and streams and university centre were never built either.
Do you have images of the bits from the original plan that weren't built?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Do you have images of the bits from the original plan that weren't built?
I've got some old newspaper clippings that don't show well after scanning. Basically there was a south wing to match University Hall to the north, an addition to the north end of the PEd bldg that made it symmetrical, and a large semi-circular bldg near the lake. Another lake was planned in the area just west of the breezeway in the middle of U Hall. I'll see if I can find some better quality images and will post them if I have any better ones.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 12:18 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 5:24 PM

Sorry duplicate post. Not sure what I did.

Last edited by GernB; Apr 22, 2014 at 8:50 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Looks like it, though I have never seen this design from an overhead perspective.. I have some poor quality copies from the Lethbridge Herald of a model of the design from a couple of other angles. This appears to be Erickson`s first proposal. The second was more reminiscent of his SFU concept, and had an almost Greek-temple-like appearance. Sadly the provincial gov`t went the third design and left off about 200 ft from the north end which was to include a large video production studio. Still an impressive building but very unlike the original concept which was to be a "reflection" of the high level bridge just downriver, and the PE bldg. designed by local architects Robins Watson was never completed according to plan.

Last edited by GernB; Apr 22, 2014 at 8:44 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 2:32 PM
of Canada

Architects selected:

http://www.uleth.ca/unews/article/ar...nation-project

Quote:
The University of Lethbridge Board of Governors has chosen the firms Stantec Architecture and KPMB Architects, in joint venture, to lead the design process of its new science and academic building and energy/utility centre; key elements of the transformational University of Lethbridge Destination Project.

In its agreement with the U of L, Stantec Architecture/KPMB Architects will undertake a comprehensive consultation process with university and community stakeholders, as well as complete the design phase of the project.

“The Destination Project steering committee deserves recognition for the significant work they undertook to recommend a design team to the board,” says Provost and Vice-President (Academic) Dr. Andy Hakin. “Due to the complexity of this project, the comprehensive selection process took 10 weeks. The final three short-listed submissions were impressive and the final selection decision was difficult. I am confident, however, that we have selected the right group.”

The selection process included a request for qualifications, request for proposals, formal interviews, fee proposals and on-site interviews.

The Stantec Architecture/KPMB Architects team has completed projects of similar scale to the U of L’s new science and academic building in the past, including the $140-million George Brown College Waterfront Health Science Campus and the $622-million Bridgepoint Active Healthcare Complex continuing care facility (both in Toronto, ON).

Hakin has indicated that the level of consultation that will be undertaken in the coming months will be unprecedented for a construction project at the U of L.

“This is one of the largest projects ever undertaken in southern Alberta. An integrated design process that engages key stakeholders is critical to the project’s success,” says Hakin.

The consultation process will begin mid May and feature multiple design “super weeks” where a large contingent of the consultant team will meet with university and community stakeholders. Details of this process will be released in the coming weeks.

Stantec Architecture is a global design practice recognized for client-focused design solutions that seamlessly blend trends in academia, student life and scientific discovery into dynamic and responsive academic environments. KPMB Architects is one of North America’s pre-eminent design practices and has received over 175 awards, including 12 Governor General medals and four American Institute of Architects Honors Awards. Together, the firms have offices in Lethbridge, Calgary and Toronto.

In December 2013, the Government of Alberta announced a $200-million commitment to the Destination Project. Previously, the Province invested $12.5 million towards the planning process of the project.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 5:07 PM

Nice to see this moving forward!

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 7:45 PM
of Canada

Another article from the Lethbridge Herald. Almost a month old now but I didn't see this one before. No pictures yet but more hints on the scope of the project.

http://lethbridgeherald.com/news/loc...of-architects/

Quote:
By Zentner, Caroline on May 2, 2014.

lethbridge herald

czentner@lethbridgeherald.com

The University of Lethbridge has chosen a team of architects to bring its vision for the Destination Project to life.

Stantec Architecture and KPMB Architects, in a joint venture, will lead the design process for the science and academic building and the utility energy centre.

“The final three short-listed submissions were impressive and the final selection decision was difficult. I am confident, however, that we have selected the right group,” said Andy Hakin, vice-president academic, in a news release.

The lead architect, Bruce Kuwabara, and his partners have masterminded many projects, including the Centre for International Governance Innovation in Waterloo. It recently won a Governor General’s Medal for Architecture.

Brian Sullivan, project manager, said he’s pleased with the choice because the project is large, lengthy and complex and he’s confident Kuwabara will have direct involvement.

The new building, which is about 32,000 square metres or three-quarters the size of University Hall, will become home to the researching and teaching facilities for the physical and life sciences, including physics, chemistry, astronomy, biology, biochemistry, neuroscience and psychology. Stantec will be designing the interior of the building.

The utility energy centre will give the U of L a new heating and cooling plant. The current heating and cooling plant is located in University Hall and it supplies other buildings on campus through underground pipes. However, it has reached its maximum capacity.

“The existing one is 50 years old. It’s quite obsolete, technologically speaking, and the pieces and equipment are old,” Sullivan said. “The new facility will have capability for the whole campus, plus the new science and academic building, plus several future buildings.”

The new heating and cooling centre should also reduce the university’s carbon footprint and the amount of energy it uses.

The architectural team will hold focus group meetings on campus over the summer to help create drawings and design alternatives. Further consultations with campus communities and the community at large will take place in the fall once students have returned.

“We’ve got a ways to go before we start digging up the campus,” Sullivan said.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 10:06 PM

Apparently, the CCBN will be moving its functions into the new complex and their old building will be repurposed. The spaces freed up in UHall will also get repurposed. Perhaps more single first year student dorm rooms?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 5:27 PM
of Canada

There's a bit more to look at now:

http://www.uleth.ca/unews/article/th...g#.VCMIhOd94yJ

With a few options:

and a slide show presentation:

http://www.uleth.ca/featured-project...esentation.php

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 5:39 PM

I thought that the footprint of the new building was going to be much larger and connect the north entrance of UHall in the east to the Prairie Quad in the west. I'm disappointed that this doesn't seem to be the case.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 7:03 AM
ARTchitecture

They have selected the design called "The Hub" as the winner of the competition for the new Science and Academic Building and are looking to start construction next year! It'll probably be the biggest single building on the campus, so it's a pretty big deal.

This is the one they chose:

http://www.uleth.ca/unews/article/un...g#.VROvmvnF93s

According to the "Destination Project" website, interior design work is underway...

http://www.destinationproject.ca/

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 6:12 PM

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 10:45 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I went to this university as well. Nice to see quality buildings being added!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 10:26 PM
ARTchitecture

Looks awesome!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 10:32 AM
ARTchitecture

Since there's no Lethbridge thread.... here you go!

Here's an older update but a beautiful photo of the construction of the University of Lethbridge Science and Academic Building from last year!

http://www.destinationproject.ca/201...-construction/

Lethbridge Transit's new transit terminal and park n ride is nearing completion in the middle of the city's downtown core. The building will also house the Southern Alberta offices and terminal facilities for Red Arrow, which is now the only intercity bus service in Alberta.

https://globalnews.ca/video/4613239/...-2019#autoplay

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia