HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 3:29 PM

In terms of the ribbon board, could it be that it was "built to fit" and cannot be used in another facility, that it was end of life, that there was no interested facility or that the removal process some how damaged it beyond repair?

In terms of the old score board, there is still the talk of building an approximately 5,000 seat arena in Winnipeg near the MTS IcePlex. Might they stash the score board in storage for a possible reuse at that facility if it happens? Depending on the success of the Moose in the city they might end up becoming the lead tenant out there or we could end up seeing the long discussed junior team. Either way the facility could be designed around using that score board.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
In terms of the ribbon board, could it be that it was "built to fit" and cannot be used in another facility, that it was end of life, that there was no interested facility or that the removal process some how damaged it beyond repair?

In terms of the old score board, there is still the talk of building an approximately 5,000 seat arena in Winnipeg near the MTS IcePlex. Might they stash the score board in storage for a possible reuse at that facility if it happens? Depending on the success of the Moose in the city they might end up becoming the lead tenant out there or we could end up seeing the long discussed junior team. Either way the facility could be designed around using that score board.
As a sidenote, one of the WFP articles about the return of the Moose mentioned that a reason for the AHL returning to Winnipeg is because TNSE was thwarted in their attempts to bring a WHL team to Winnipeg. (Fine with me, I prefer the AHL anyway.)

I found that a bit surprising... from what I've heard over the years, the WHL has strenuously opposed putting a team in Winnipeg. I'm sure they tolerate the Wheat Kings on a grandfathered basis, but would road trips to Manitoba be that much worse if teams had to hoof it a couple more hours to Winnipeg? If anything, it might make those road trips more efficient if they could bang out at least 3 games per Manitoba swing. But either way I'm fine with the WHL not wanting to be here.

But I can't imagine TNSE building a rink just for the Moose or the WHL in any event... MTSC has plenty of excess capacity available for free, so a new arena would not make sense. The only way it could happen is if some competing ownership group managed to snag a WHL team, move it to Winnipeg and build a 5,000 seater on their own... and that would be a longshot prospect to say the least.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 3:57 PM

Quote:
In terms of the ribbon board, could it be that it was "built to fit" and cannot be used in another facility,.
that's exactly what I'm thinking when I heard that it's going to the dumpster, and probably the cost of modifying it to fit it on another facility will be too expensive beside that its an old technology (about ten years old). Its like more cheaper to buy a new giant tv than repairing a ten year old tv.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
As a sidenote, one of the WFP articles about the return of the Moose mentioned that a reason for the AHL returning to Winnipeg is because TNSE was thwarted in their attempts to bring a WHL team to Winnipeg. (Fine with me, I prefer the AHL anyway.)

But I can't imagine TNSE building a rink just for the Moose or the WHL in any event... MTSC has plenty of excess capacity available for free, so a new arena would not make sense. The only way it could happen is if some competing ownership group managed to snag a WHL team, move it to Winnipeg and build a 5,000 seater on their own... and that would be a longshot prospect to say the least.
In terms of the WHL blocking attempts to bring a team to Winnipeg could this partly be the Wheat Kings claiming Winnipeg as part of their territory? I also wonder if it might have something to do with the old Warriors teams.

In terms of the building itself, it is part of the grand vision for the Red River Ex site with a number of uses already planned that would never work well at MTSC. Having a smaller, and in theory cheaper to operate, building for the Moose, other smaller sized events and the needs of the Red River Ex could make sense. The question is if there is enough of a market for the Moose and if the overall operation of the two sites would make sense. It might even be possible to make the new building the Jets practice rink over the one at MTS Ice Plex. You need to think of it more as a cross over from the Ice Plex than a step down from MTSC.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 6:07 PM

Quote:
In terms of the WHL blocking attempts to bring a team to Winnipeg could this partly be the Wheat Kings claiming Winnipeg as part of their territory? I also wonder if it might have something to do with the old Warriors teams.
I can't imagine there are any territorial issues with Brandon... they are 200 km away and largely irrelevant to the Winnipeg marketplace. Even the most hardcore hockey fans I know are only vaguely aware of the Wheaties and how they're doing, let alone actually spending money to support the team.

The issue that I have always heard is one of travel costs... it's an expense that the west coast teams don't want to bear. I frankly don't see how Wpg is really any different than going to Brandon or any of the existing Sask teams, but somehow it is a problem and the league doesn't want to go any farther east. That puts Winnipeg in a bit of a junior hockey vacuum, as the OHL sure as hell won't come here and neither will the Dub. Maybe a USHL team is the way to go for junior?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 6:17 PM

Schedule in the WHL is uneven/weighted to playing teams in your conference more often than the opposing conference. The Wheaties play most of their games against Sask and Alberta teams and only make one road trip during the regular season to BC and the U.S. based teams. Don't think travel is much of an issue with placing a WPG team in the league therefore.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 7:01 PM

I don't recall exactly where I heard/read this, but it was mentioned that TNSE conducted surveys at one point of their season ticket base and the appetite for WHL just wasn't there. Which is what lead them down the AHL to Winnipeg path.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 7:11 PM
arf

Interesting. I always remember watching the Winnipeg Warriors come to Regina in the 80s. They were absolutely terrible in their last season 83-84 with a 9-63 record.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
Schedule in the WHL is uneven/weighted to playing teams in your conference more often than the opposing conference. The Wheaties play most of their games against Sask and Alberta teams and only make one road trip during the regular season to BC and the U.S. based teams. Don't think travel is much of an issue with placing a WPG team in the league therefore.
Yeah, that's basically how I understood it to be. You wouldn't think it would be a huge deal for the PA Raiders or whomever to come to Winnipeg. But this is always the reason cited whenever the subject comes up.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:

In terms of the building itself, it is part of the grand vision for the Red River Ex site with a number of uses already planned that would never work well at MTSC. Having a smaller, and in theory cheaper to operate, building for the Moose, other smaller sized events and the needs of the Red River Ex could make sense. The question is if there is enough of a market for the Moose and if the overall operation of the two sites would make sense. It might even be possible to make the new building the Jets practice rink over the one at MTS Ice Plex. You need to think of it more as a cross over from the Ice Plex than a step down from MTSC.
There is absolutely no chance of the Moose or any other True North-owned franchise operating out of a building they don't own. The Ex probably wouldn't let them build there anyway.

The only way they build a small arena is that there is a serious need for a ~5000 seat arena/venue for smaller concerts in the city... but still unlikely they would move the Moose there. It's one of the reasons True North took on the Burt, but it's still too small for many artists.

Also if for some reason TN was looking at building a smaller arena they would undoubtably build it downtown. They're not gonna spend hundreds of millions developing all that land and then move your second biggest money-generating asset for those tenants somewhere else.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
There is absolutely no chance of the Moose or any other True North-owned franchise operating out of a building they don't own. The Ex probably wouldn't let them build there anyway.

The only way they build a small arena is that there is a serious need for a ~5000 seat arena/venue for smaller concerts in the city... but still unlikely they would move the Moose there. It's one of the reasons True North took on the Burt, but it's still too small for many artists.

Also if for some reason TN was looking at building a smaller arena they would undoubtably build it downtown. They're not gonna spend hundreds of millions developing all that land and then move your second biggest money-generating asset for those tenants somewhere else.
agreed. 5000 seats is an odd number for a concert venue

To tell you the truth I don't see them Building a new building anytime in the near (20 years) future. True North runs the burt cummins theater which I Believe seats 1900 or so. And They have the MTS centre which can be a 5000 to 10,000 seat concert venue or an 18,000 seat concert venue. That basically fills any needs you have as an entertainment company. I think the red river idea is on the back burner to True North square. And the arrival of the moose has probably lit a bigger fire under the urgency of that project with more hockey downtown. In a few more decades MTSC will start to show its age. And they will start to seek out a new home for the Jets. MTSC will serve as a great home for the moose for another 100 years if needed and aside from the light bill and maintenance It's not gonna cost true north much to keep it open and operational. They also won't have any competition like they would have with Winnipeg arena. I don't see an AHL building in Winnipeg's future anytime soon unless they inherit MTSC

Last edited by Oilkountry; Jun 13, 2015 at 2:18 AM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 10:32 PM

Last edited by Oilkountry; Jun 13, 2015 at 9:40 PM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 4:39 PM

wpg.sun.com

I'm going to enjoy this " Experiment"..

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post

wpg.sun.com

I'm going to enjoy this " Experiment"..
Whats the experiment?

former 8th overall pick. Comes cheap. Will more than live up to that contract. Could be the key signing of the year...*could be*.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
Whats the experiment?

former 8th overall pick. - Never lived up to that billing as a top 10 pick.

Comes cheap. True - Wants back in the NHL - KHL didn't want him

Will more than live up to that contract. - Experiment

Could be the key signing of the year...*could be*. - Experiment

He wants back in..he'll take what he can get..

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 10:35 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Rest assured, unless he talks to Trouba and agrees, he won't be wearing the number 8.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
He wants back in..he'll take what he can get..
Then every player is an experiment. If he plays only to the same level he did before he left two years ago, he will be a productive member of the roster. I expect more.

He doesnt think he will be allowed to wear 69 either. I'd guess maybe he wears 9.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 10:44 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
Then every player is an experiment. If he plays only to the same level he did before he left two years ago, he will be a productive member of the roster. I expect more.

He doesnt think he will be allowed to wear 69 either. I'd guess maybe he wears 9.
It would be hilarious if he did wear 69, but having said that, if he chooses 9, then I won't be mad, because then we know that the last person who wore number 9, wasn't worthy of the legend who wore number 9 in the olden days of the old Jets, in which he is Bobby Hull.

Actually, if I were Burmi, I wouldn't even consider it out of respect to Bobby Hull himself, but then again, who knows.

Not saying that Burmi will be a legend. He's still quite young and still has many years to go, but over the course of time, he will be an impact player, like he was when he was here with us in the first two years. Maybe even a more mature and seasoned player since the last time we saw him on ice.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
It would be hilarious if he did wear 69, but having said that, if he chooses 9, then I won't be mad, because then we know that the last person who wore number 9, wasn't worthy of the legend who wore number 9 in the olden days of the old Jets, in which he is Bobby Hull.

Actually, if I were Burmi, I wouldn't even consider it out of respect to Bobby Hull himself, but then again, who knows.

Not saying that Burmi will be a legend. He's still quite young and still has many years to go, but over the course of time, he will be an impact player, like he was when he was here with us in the first two years. Maybe even a more mature and seasoned player since the last time we saw him on ice.
Yeah. You never want to disparage the legacy of an alcoholic nazi-sympathizer who beat his wife and kids. But god willing, Alexander Burmistrov's play can keep the number in its high esteem.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 3:35 PM
What could go wrong?

MTS Centre scorebord construction.

from Winnipeg Jets ‏@NHLJets Twitter
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan