HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

745 Thurlow in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 3:37 AM

photocredit: me

1st pic: the 30% off closing sale continues at Sport Mart
2nd pic: new sign on the noodle restaurant between the McDonald's and Sport Mart announcing closing on Feb. 26th.

Given the previous info of the karaoke place closing on the 25th it looks like the end of the month may be the deadline for moving.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 4:10 AM
Reason and Freedom

I will not miss that dirty building. Too bad it is not being replaced with something better than the popcorn box.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 4:12 AM

But i sure am going to miss that location of the Japanese restaurant and Samba.

Does anyone know if Somba is relocating?

I thought the underground restaurant section was always an interesting urban feel.

Would be nice if such a commercial element was re-built in to the new tower...

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 5:49 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
But i sure am going to miss that location of the Japanese restaurant and Samba.

Does anyone know if Somba is relocating?

I thought the underground restaurant section was always an interesting urban feel.

Would be nice if such a commercial element was re-built in to the new tower...
You know, in all my life, I don't think I ever went in there or knew about the place.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 5:54 AM

The Japanese restaurant felt like a true Tokyo style restaurant / bar, underground, a little dark but lots of atmosphere.

And Samba is amazing, all you can eat Brazilian food! The serve Kangaroo meat, so delicious!

I hate it that were are loosing all these interesting restaurants and in return just getting more Cactus Clubs and Earls.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 5:59 AM

i dont understand why you like dark cramped dingy places to eat.

I say good riddance I cant wait to see that POS gone

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 6:04 AM

these places are not dingy They are very clean, but they have lots of character and atmosphere. Samba has live music and bely dancers as well. If you have been to Europe or Japan you would understand.

The Japanese restaurant there is actually very high end Japanese, again, more ethnic, with real Japanese cooks and waitresses. All the finishings inside look like they are straight out of Japan as well. It is not just another Korean sushi knock off fast food spot.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 6:16 AM

Yeah, the Japanese place is/was very authentic looking - like it had just moved from a Japanese village.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 7:38 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I'm sorry Metro but Samba was pretty bad. Neither the food, the service nor the atmosphere was anymore Brazilian then Nando's is Portuguese.
That said I understand what you mean, but underground stuff doesn't seem to work here, take a look at the fate that happened to the food court just next door. Think we'd have better luck with restaurants located off lanes then underground.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 8:44 AM

Samba hooked me with Kangaroo meat, so good! Where else can I find Kangaroo meat on a big skewer?

Food courts are less ideal for off to the side underground areas (not connected to a major mall / thoroughfare like Pacific Centre or the one near Waterfront), but restaurants like the Japanese one on this site can, and do prosper in such locations, because they use such features to their benefit in creating ambiance.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 6:18 PM

Quote:
these places are not dingy They are very clean, but they have lots of character and atmosphere. Samba has live music and bely dancers as well. If you have been to Europe or Japan you would understand.
What was the name of the pub we were drinking at over the summer? The lower level of that place is pretty much exactly like what you are describing, and I loved it down there.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 7:21 PM

That was Steamworks, and yes, their lower level is exactly what I am talking about in having interesting urban environments. Not more bland street level Cactus Clubs.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 7:44 PM

Quote:
That was Steamworks, and yes, their lower level is exactly what I am talking about in having interesting urban environments. Not more bland street level Cactus Clubs.
Its bad enough Vancouver has been loosing these type of places for years now, what's even worse is what is replacing it. Samba was so-so kind of place for me personally but it did add some variety to the dining options (both in set-up and location). And judging by the way all of our developments seem to be carbon copies of previous ones, I suspect you'll be sadly proven true that a 19th street level Cactus Club or Earls located downtown will likely take its place.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 3:51 PM

Sign outside McDonald's says this location's last day is this Sunday, Feb 26th.
Sign in Sportmart window says this Friday, Feb 24th is last day for them.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 4:08 PM

At least the lower level of Steamworks has windows and light. Underground spaces do add variety, but they generate very little in rent without windows.

Any guesses how long it will take to demolish 745 Thurlow?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
At least the lower level of Steamworks has windows and light. Underground spaces do add variety, but they generate very little in rent without windows.
...and that's exactly the how and why you get variety. It is those quirky lower rent set-ups that allow unique niche-based businesses to thrive. If you eliminate that, all your left with are spaces that only large-scale chains can afford. In other cities we have seen these type of spaces used to add a greater variety to the commercial options available to the public. Its worked very well in Vancouver too but the problem is that we have so few of these types of places and seem to be losing more of them as time goes on. The city's insistence on uniform design does not help matters any.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 7:20 PM
+

Last edited by Hed Kandi; Oct 4, 2022 at 4:23 PM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
...and that's exactly the how and why you get variety. It is those quirky lower rent set-ups that allow unique niche-based businesses to thrive. If you eliminate that, all your left with are spaces that only large-scale chains can afford. In other cities we have seen these type of spaces used to add a greater variety to the commercial options available to the public. Its worked very well in Vancouver too but the problem is that we have so few of these types of places and seem to be losing more of them as time goes on. The city's insistence on uniform design does not help matters any.
Completely agree with respect to variety; the loss of unique spaces is a problem in a lot of areas (and other cities) and was discussed in the retail thread.

My point was only that underground retail spaces simply don't make economic sense to build unless they are connected to larger complexes (ie. Bentall/PC) or rapid transit.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 7:55 PM
scared of rain

Quote:
Completely agree with respect to variety; the loss of unique spaces is a problem in a lot of areas (and other cities) and was discussed in the retail thread.

My point was only that underground retail spaces simply don't make economic sense to build unless they are connected to larger complexes (ie. Bentall/PC) or rapid transit.
Case in point, the the Flack Block has a really cool basement retail space with a single width CRU at street level (beside Meat and Bread).
It has gone unleased for years, all of the rest of the space in that bulding was snapped up reasonably quickly.

Nuba has a semi basement space across the street that is pretty cool.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 8:01 PM

Quote:

You're right they don't make much sense from a property developer's point of view. You bring up a very good point of them working within a larger complex. Sadly, the city does not care much for these larger complexes. Their insistence on cookie-cutter designs for new buildings does nothing to help the situation either.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver