HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Oct 26, 2006, 3:47 PM

The 2 towers were proposed for the same property as the Courtyard, back towards the Skylon, but that was a few years ago.
The Skylon proposal was, I believe, from the late 90's (remember the signs that used to be at the property corners showing a similar picture). Like most things Skylon, it didn't and probably never will happen.
On a positive note, the updated proposal for the Hilton expansion goes to council next Monday, so it looks like that might really happen soon. (I was reading the meeting agenda and guess who the only major opposition is to this expansion. Here's a hint: it starts with Sky and ends with lon!!!)

Old Posted Oct 26, 2006, 6:22 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

o i see. that is Courtyard in grey, and a parkade will go where the all-day breakfast is now. very nice. Skylon could be drowned out by those two towers and Hilton.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2006, 1:55 AM
"CITY OF THUNDER"

I was told from an employee at the Marriott Courtyard that the towers are still a go, but not for a couple of years. With the passport law coming into affect this seems to be the norm around here. I also can confirm that the Skylon does plan on blocking the Hilton expansion, because of a deal that they have or had with the city that no building could exceed the height of the tower, whatever!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2006, 5:49 AM

After taking a look I think those photos are Courtyard project not Fallsview. Looking at the new photo, the grey building has a unique "wave or hill" room piece when if you look at the Courtyard picture you can see the same piece on the smaller building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drafty
The 2 towers were proposed for the same property as the Courtyard, back towards the Skylon, but that was a few years ago.
The Skylon proposal was, I believe, from the late 90's (remember the signs that used to be at the property corners showing a similar picture). Like most things Skylon, it didn't and probably never will happen.
On a positive note, the updated proposal for the Hilton expansion goes to council next Monday, so it looks like that might really happen soon. (I was reading the meeting agenda and guess who the only major opposition is to this expansion. Here's a hint: it starts with Sky and ends with lon!!!)

Old Posted Oct 28, 2006, 1:52 PM
"CITY OF THUNDER"

CLICK>ACCESS NIAGARA has an article about work being done around the base of the Skylon Tower, for some reason the site won't let me leave a comment. When I was there the other day a worker told me that it was just work replacing old cracked cement, he said it had nothing to do with the fire, which I also wondered about!

Last edited by FALLSVIEW; Oct 30, 2006 at 4:28 AM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2006, 11:20 PM
"CITY OF THUNDER"

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the upcoming Hilton expansion, but the Denny's parking lot is taped off at the back of the building. Was helping a couple of friends today and one of their friends works for an electrical company who plans on making a bid for the Hilton expansion. I guess this is for real guy's!!!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2006, 3:43 AM

Do you now if Denny's is still open? I think groundbreaking will be exciting. This will be one of the largest hotels (tallest I think) in Canada at over 900 rooms in total.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2006, 4:30 AM
"CITY OF THUNDER"

Yae it's still open, but this is definately going to happen Mucciared. I guess we'll see what happens at Monday's council meeting.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2006, 1:34 AM
"CITY OF THUNDER"

CONSTRUCTION UPDATES...

Work has begun on floor number two of the Motel 6!

Same goes for the new Country Inn & Suites!

Ellen avenue side of this Boutique hotel is almost done!

Last edited by FALLSVIEW; Oct 31, 2006 at 5:04 AM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2006, 3:17 AM

On the subject of Canadian Tire being built at the Square, in May of last year, council approved expansion plans for the north end Canadian Tire to 91,000sq.ft. An A&P expansion and more retail was also included. Has anybody heard anything more about that?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2006, 4:46 AM
"CITY OF THUNDER"

WORK HAS BEGUN ON
OLD NIAGARA TOURIST CENTER

AUGUST 31 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by FALLSVIEW
I noticed the other day that the blue and white information centre on the corner of Stanley Ave. and Roberts st. / HWY 420 has been sold. It has been up for sale for awhile and is a prime location for just about anything, wait and see what goes in there.

SEPTEMBER 6 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALLSVIEW
In late August the sale of the the old information building on Stanley Avenue closed. It sold for $450,000. Expect action on this property in the near future.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2006, 4:48 AM
"CITY OF THUNDER"

Quote:
Originally Posted by drafty
On the subject of Canadian Tire being built at the Square, in May of last year, council approved expansion plans for the north end Canadian Tire to 91,000sq.ft. An A&P expansion and more retail was also included. Has anybody heard anything more about that?
I personally haven't heard anything more about that Drafty.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2006, 5:00 AM
"CITY OF THUNDER"

THESE TWO BUILDINGS HAVE SEEN EXTENSIVE WORK DONE
TO THEIR RESPECTIVE HOTELS.

SKYLINE INN continues work on their interior renovations.

Last piece of the puzzle for the overhauled COMFORT INN.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2006, 5:18 AM
"CITY OF THUNDER"

FUN HOUSE IS GETTING SOME EXTERIOR WORK DONE THIS WEEK!

PERHAPS A NEW FACADE?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2006, 7:54 PM
"CITY OF THUNDER"

DOWNTOWN VS ARENA VS POLITICS!!

I have always believed that Mayor Salsi and a majority of council members have never desired to see this OHL proposal through no matter the deal, and a strong desire to see the Downtown deal through no matter the deal.

1. Last year JDS Delcor aproached Mayor Ted Salsi about the
prospect of bringing back the OHL to Niagara Falls, the mayor took
it upon himself to decline this idea without any input from
council!

2. Last year Aaron Lichtman came knocking in regards to
revitalizing a pretty large Downtown which is in utter decay and in
a very rough part of the city. He promised $100 million in retail
investment to the Queen Street area, but only if $36 million worth
of public projects - a parking garage, parks and reconstructed
roads - are completed.

3. Mayor is "quoted" as saying he gets shivers at the thought of seeing downtown restored to its former glory, and as far as bringing back the OHL “We’ll work to see what arrangements can be made as long as it’s in the best interest of the citizens of Niagara Falls.” I've only recently heard him use the line “residents best interest when refering to the downtown project. He has also made it clear on numerous occasions that his first priority is to re-vitalize the Downtown.

4. City council votes to build a 2001 seat arena at the old
Cyanamid site. Cyanamid plans to donate to the city 16 acres of the
93-acre site. Residents argue that the arena should atleast be the
same capacity as the old arena. A seat sale is started and thanks
to Niagara residents, we atleast have 3000 seats. Not nearly big enough for a tourist destination that doesn't even have a convention center.

5. "LAST YEAR" Unite Here, a labour union representing hotel
workers in Niagara Falls, sounded the alarm about the Cyanamid site
because the environmental review was using old data, some of it
taken in the 1990s after the plant closed. Still council did not
take this serious and pushed forward with plans for a 3000 seat
arena.

6. After St. Catharines turned down revamping there old arena into
a 5700 seat arena, because they had just invested in a new 4plex. JDS came back to Niagara Falls after the urging of council members, to see about joining forces on their proposed 3000 seat arena, and uping the size to 5700.

In a nutshell Aaron Lichtman has "never" offered a business plan or market study on which he has based his plan....CLICK> Council OKs $40K for new market study. <The city instead has to invest it's own money for the same studies that Mr. Lichtman already has in his possession. Yet the Mayor gives him his full and undivided attention. In order to help fund the Downtown
project, the city will sell land at the corner of Montrose and Mcleod approx 7 million. I personally think this land would make a better location for an arena with no worries of contaminents. During the Sept 11th council meeting in which I attended JDS was more or less ambushed by the Mayor and Mr. Macdonald regarding the proposal from JDS. During the meeting the arena site being contaminated became the main focal point of the meeting and not the arena deal. Might I add council was informed about this site last year. The Mayor eluded to the fact that the city had only done a study for a 3000 seat arena not a 5700 seat arena, it was then obvious to all of us right there that the Mayor was searching for an out to this arena deal. It also became even clearer of his true intentions when I read this article...CLICK>Cytec site clean for twin-pad project. Afterall why would the Mayor want to deviate from getting 100 million worth of investors for the Downtown? What a legacy this would leave Mr. Salsi with. Plus the new arena land had already been donated, then they could use existing city owned land for funding of the Downtown. So now you tell the people arena site is safe, but only for 3000 not 5700, how convenient. Meanwhile JDS walks away out of frustration and the Mayor keeps his reputation intacked. Later on he can boast about how he has saved the Downtown with 100 million dollars in investments. Bottom line is JDS is a thorn in the side of Mayor Salsi's true agenda!!!

Here are some of the latest developments in the Downtown saga, which for me only stands to benefit tourists and Downtown businesses...

Council to review proposal to limit downtown funding

Downtown votes to keep 36 million in funding project

WHOOPS!! City staff report leaked to The Review.

Main and Ferry revitalization could include expropriation.

Now the Mayor has to do some damage control...

"I am currently not satisfied that we have all the information in order to make the best decision on behalf of the people," Salci said during a press conference that got upstaged when Steve King, another candidate for mayor, began asking questions.

WOW! THAT'S A DIFFERENT TUNE HE IS SINGING NOW!!

Niagara Falls should not proceed with Historic Niagara's proposal unless it makes "sound business sense" and "does not unduly burden" taxpayers, Salci said.

SOUNDS LIKE SOMEONE IS COVERING HIS TRACKS NOW!!

Ald. Wayne Campbell said Salci was "doing damage control" Monday after news stories last week about a report that outlined four categories of land transactions that would need to occur if a partnership between the city and Lichtman is to work. The report raised the possibility of expropriating some private property if negotiated sales could not be negotiated.

A majority of council voted last week to move that report, intended for a closed-door meeting, onto the agenda for next Monday's public meeting partly because of the controversial comments about expropriation.

Salci said he considers expropriation of private property downtown "a last resort."

There were no council members at Salci's conference. Campbell was working at the time, but later said it has been "typical" of Salci not to advise aldermen about announcements he makes.

SOUNDS LIKE A MAYOR LOOKING OUT FOR HIS BEST INTERESTS!!

Where we stand today, is that the Mayor because of his insistance in trying to hide from the public his true intentions, by holding numerous closed door meeting's, had it blow up in his face this time...

SO THIS IS WHERE THE DOWNTOWN STANDS TODAY WITH NO HOPE IN HELL OF PROVINCIAL OR FEDERAL FUNDING FOR THIS PROJECT...

Council wants to sell to Lichtman

OH YEAH!! AND BEFORE I FORGET, THE OHL DEAL IS PUT OFF UNTIL AFTER THE ELECTIONS, HERE IS CONFIRMATION OF THIS...

I talked to Steve Ludzik of JDS and Alderman Jim Diodati and they decided to wait until after the November 13th election. They decided not to go now since it was the advice of Diodati that JDS would not receive a fair hearing since the two weeks before an election is "The Silly Season".

Current Council members are now more interested in getting attention and will be more likely to vote on the basis of what they perceive will generate votes, not necessari;y the right decision.

This close to an election Council will spend more time grand-standing than making the right decision based on information on hand. Probably smart to wait as some of these guys on Council will not likely be re-elected.

OH BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE, APPARENTLY THIS DEAL IS DEAD NOW?

COUNCIL BODYCHECKS OHL DEAL.....

All I can say is that I will be voting for change, starting with the Mayor.

MOST ARTICLES FOUND @ NIAGARA FALLS BLOG - TRAVEL and TOURISM NEWS.

Last edited by FALLSVIEW; Nov 2, 2006 at 3:17 AM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 5:22 PM
"CITY OF THUNDER"

Niagara News Releases.

Ten Canadian Players Make it to the Final Tables.

Factory worker wins $1 million.

McGuinty Government Gives Boost To Hospitality And Tourism Industry.

Niagara based Fluance Speakers releases a new enhanced home theater system

OHL bid on hold until election.

The OHL Deal is probably finished, it's just not worth it for the city to put in that kind of funding and then having to turn around and rent ice from there own facility. However I stand firm to the fact that the Mayor treated this ownership group very unprofessionally, and he will not receive my vote!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2006, 3:08 AM
"CITY OF THUNDER"

HILTON MODIFIED TO 52 STORIES

The Hilton has again been modified from its original 58 stories @ 172 meters up to 193 meters and now back down to 52 stories @ 171 meters with a decorative cupola feature that projects a further 6 meters. The requested change in height is to accommodate this architectural feature. The latest proposal has a gross floor area of 153,000 sq meters (1,647,000 sq feet). The revised plan presented at Mondays Council meeting was approved with various design modifications to the original proposal. The next step is for Council to pass an amendment to the Zoning By-law to permit the specific design of the project. The architectural peer review panel is supportive of this latest proposal, and they note it is significantly better then the previous design considered in 2004. Other changes occurring are replacing the theatre with a multi purpose atrium, including restaurants and performance areas.

The Loblaws company which is building the Zehrs Superstore is waiting for completion of the Dorchester Road expansion before they begin construction.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2006, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

I'm glad that the Hilton Expansion is actually still alive.

Flickr®

Old Posted Nov 7, 2006, 6:39 PM
"CITY OF THUNDER"

Recently I have decided to start my own Niagara Falls Development & Proposal Blog. You can also click my signature below.

Last edited by FALLSVIEW; Jan 9, 2007 at 4:08 PM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2006, 7:08 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

I think you should continue posting here, even though the responses aren't that plentiful, there are those of us that do read it for news.

Flickr®

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario