HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Wow, on Robie?

That site would be great for a tower. I can hear the NIMBYs already!
problem with the site is that its small, and therefore the density isn't there to allow a good tower. I mean i guess one could always do a 14 storey 4 unit per floor building, but thats hardly efficent.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
problem with the site is that its small, and therefore the density isn't there to allow a good tower. I mean i guess one could always do a 14 storey 4 unit per floor building, but thats hardly efficent.
The article said that zoning allows only a 4-6 storey structure.

There was also an article somewhere that said Wadih Fares is in negotiations with John Carroll to buy the Carroll Pontiac site on Bedford Highway, adjacent to the project he has already received approval for.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
The article said that zoning allows only a 4-6 storey structure.

There was also an article somewhere that said Wadih Fares is in negotiations with John Carroll to buy the Carroll Pontiac site on Bedford Highway, adjacent to the project he has already received approval for.
Fares is doing the engineering for the project next door. The property is owned by Goushen (spelling).

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 2:15 AM

Well news is out, even though its been well known it was coming, on the cylde steet lots.

First one, bound by Queen Street, will go to expersions of interest in Oct with second lot in year two. There is a third lot on Queen, which is land left over that will be sold in year 3.

I am not sure i like the idea of a 15 foot setback on cylde street (a requirement) as it decreases the land value and limits what can be done. I rather see to the lot line with a maximum height at street level of 3 stories.

Can't wait to see what comes out of the wood works for this one.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 11:30 AM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Well news is out, even though its been well known it was coming, on the cylde steet lots.

First one, bound by Queen Street, will go to expersions of interest in Oct with second lot in year two. There is a third lot on Queen, which is land left over that will be sold in year 3.

I am not sure i like the idea of a 15 foot setback on cylde street (a requirement) as it decreases the land value and limits what can be done. I rather see to the lot line with a maximum height at street level of 3 stories.

Can't wait to see what comes out of the wood works for this one.
It will definitely be interesting... and also good that they have said that any deal will include a deadline for developing.

I also found it quite interesting the article in ANS about the fact that with three of the banks leases coming up for renewal in the new few years that they could dramatically alter the landscape for one of the proposed developments. Basically if one or more decide to go in a new location, then that may drive one of these new office towers that wouldn't have otherwise gone forward. Most likely that is Waterside, but they had mentioned that even a back like the Royal switching might be enough to make one like the triangle lands building possible (if they signed a lease with Empire).

The fact that multiple banks are looking to renew leases possibly changes the whole dynamic downtown in terms of breaking the current logjam where no one moves forward. It also makes sense to me for the banks to want to be in the latest and greatest Class A, which then frees up some of the older Class A for that next tier down of clients who can't afford the top prices.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 6:52 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
The fact that multiple banks are looking to renew leases possibly changes the whole dynamic downtown in terms of breaking the current logjam where no one moves forward. It also makes sense to me for the banks to want to be in the latest and greatest Class A, which then frees up some of the older Class A for that next tier down of clients who can't afford the top prices.
Like I said, I think this would be great for the downtown even if vacancies rise. Landlords obviously don't like a surplus of space and they hate to let prices fall but it makes sense for some older buildings to gradually move downmarket. In the future, buildings like the current Royal Bank tower could be an attractive place for a variety of companies not willing to pay top dollar for office space. Right now those companies are moving to the suburbs because a purpose-built building downtown is too expensive and slow.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 11:32 PM

I don't know if there is a thread for this but, Killam prop. is hoping to break ground within the next month at the top of Shaunslieve apts for a new devp off the Bedford Hwy. Plus a new devp for down the south end(off Spring Garden) within the next year or two and another one in Dartmouth by Victoria Gardens, within a couple of years. Please note that this is Halifax and you may need to add years to these projects.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 12:08 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The Spring Garden project is by Camp Hill cemetery, right behind the grey and white circa 1960 apartment building. There's a pretty big open space in behind which I believe is a parking lot. It won't look very different but it's added density.

There was also that talk of redeveloping some buildings on the more commercial south side of the street but that sounds like it is pretty far off.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfxtradesman View Post
I don't know if there is a thread for this but, Killam prop. is hoping to break ground within the next month at the top of Shaunslieve apts for a new devp off the Bedford Hwy. Plus a new devp for down the south end(off Spring Garden) within the next year or two and another one in Dartmouth by Victoria Gardens, within a couple of years. Please note that this is Halifax and you may need to add years to these projects.
Is there any mention of how tall the Shaunslieve project is? There's some pretty sizable buildings back there.

And to clarify the Victoria Aparment complex is the weird setup on Boland Road correct?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Is there any mention of how tall the Shaunslieve project is? There's some pretty sizable buildings back there.

And to clarify the Victoria Aparment complex is the weird setup on Boland Road correct?
Not sure how big or tall but I can find out. Yes Victoria and Boland is the site. Plus the Spring Garden site is in the back parking lot next to the grave yard by Killams building.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfxtradesman View Post
Not sure how big or tall but I can find out. Yes Victoria and Boland is the site. Plus the Spring Garden site is in the back parking lot next to the grave yard by Killams building.
Thanks.

I heard of the Victoria site I believe if it is on Boland Road. According to my memory it will be four stories tall and in the rear of the site.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 1:53 AM

Quote:
I agree completely. This is one of the most urban parts of the city so you should be able to build to the lot lines. Everything else in the area is right up to the street right of way. Whatever gets built will look odd setback when everything around it hugs the street. Three stories and additional height setback would make a lot more sense.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 5:00 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
I agree completely. This is one of the most urban parts of the city so you should be able to build to the lot lines. Everything else in the area is right up to the street right of way. Whatever gets built will look odd setback when everything around it hugs the street. Three stories and additional height setback would make a lot more sense.
The plan is outlined here (sadly, from 2006): http://www.halifax.ca/capitaldistric...vember2006.pdf

I believe they are talking about the creation of a widened sidewalk rather than a setback with landscaping between the sidewalk and building. In other words, this amounts to a widening of Clyde Street that will mostly be devoted to pedestrians. It could also function as a quiet public space.

Not sure it's necessary but it could actually be very nice if implemented properly. It's an alternative way to provide a buffer between Schmidtville low scale residential and medium scale infill development north of Clyde.

I am not sure if the Trillium has a similar setback.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 4:55 PM

Thought it was intresting:

Condos proposed for Northwest Arm heritage property

By BRUCE ERSKINE Business Reporter
Sat, Sep 18 - 4:54 AM

A heritage property on the Northwest Arm in Halifax could become home to a 14-unit condominium development.

The half-hectare property at 10 Kirk Rd. in Jollimore features an arts and crafts-style house built in 1914 by Dr. R. Evatt Mather, a Halifax eye doctor and surgeon.

The wood and stone home was designed by well-known architect William Brown, whose other commissions included an Oland residence on Jubilee Road.

Arts and crafts architecture, often associated with bungalows, grew out of the anti-industrial arts and crafts movement of the 19th century and features simple designs and natural building materials.

The property, known as Finntigh Mara, Gaelic for small house on the sea, includes four other buildings and an in-ground swimming pool.

It is owned by Marterra Inc., which lists Halifax architect Jennifer Corson of Solterre Design as a director and recognized agent.

Marterra has applied to Halifax Regional Municipality for a heritage development agreement that would turn the main house into a two-unit condominium.

Twelve single-unit condominiums would be built on the property, which would incorporate the other existing buildings, with the pool and pool house used as common amenities.

A public information meeting on the proposal will be held Sept. 22 at 7 p.m. at the Capt. William Spry Centre on Kidston Road.

Municipal planner Mackenzie Stonehocker said applications to develop municipal heritage properties aren’t uncommon.

"We do several heritage development agreements every year," Stonehocker said in an interview Thursday. "All are unusual in some way."

The heritage development application fall under Policy 6.8 of the Municipal Planning Strategy, she said.

The policy allows owners of registered heritage properties to apply for development agreements not otherwise permitted by the land-use designation, so long as the property’s heritage integrity and value are maintained.

"It allows for development while maintaining heritage aspects," Stonehocker said.

The public information meeting is a preliminary step in the heritage development-agreement approval process, she said.

"This is just the beginning."

The plan will also have to be reviewed by the municipality’s heritage advisory committee and by the watershed advisory board because the property has waterfrontage.

( berskine@herald.ca)

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 5:34 PM

Barrington Street church may develop property to avoid bankruptcy
By CHRIS LAMBIE Business Editor
Sat, Sep 18 - 4:54 AM

A historic downtown Halifax church is looking to a developer for salvation.

The congregation of St. Matthew’s United Church will hear a presentation Sunday from a committee that’s been struggling for two years to come up with a way to keep the 153-year-old house of worship out of the red. The Barrington Street church, which had annual operating expenditures of $441,000 for the year that ended June 30, has been forced in recent years to dip deeply into its endowment fund to make ends meet.

"We must redevelop our site and our building both inside and out," says a new 40-page report on the church’s future.

"We have to determine what purposes and programs and funding sources can make it possible for St. Matthew’s to be a living church in the Halifax downtown."

The report warns of dire consequences if the church’s 350 parishioners reject the idea of developing its surrounding lands.

"After considered thought, discussion, prayer and discernment, the (committee that examined the problem) asserts that the only reasonable alternative to accepting the above recommendations, which we believe are required to achieve a sustainable St. Matthew’s, is to take the appropriate steps now to close St. Matthew’s United Church.

"In the absence of creating the sustainable church outlined in the proposed vision, this outcome is inevitable. A planned closure and distribution of assets is far more likely to result in St. Matthew’s remaining assets being used for the betterment of the community than for our own, likely doomed, attempt at survival."

The church now has about $1.8 million in its endowment fund. But the report warns that could be spent by 2019 if nothing is done to stop the financial hemorrhaging.

"It’s pretty bleak," said Tim Matthews, a Halifax lawyer and chairman of the church’s board of directors.

"The church has a substantial trust fund. But it’s been using that over time to supplement annual revenues from donations from the members in order to pay the expenses. When you do that, eventually your trust fund runs out and, at that point, your expenses are greater than your income. That’s bankrupt."

The plan to save the church would involve St. Matthew’s signing a long-term lease with a developer, who would bear the cost of building the project. An appraisal hasn’t been done on how much rent the church would charge.

"Bottom line — we’d like to have something that generated some income to help maintain the historic building," Matthews said. "Commercial is less likely because of the need for parking and access from the street. It’s probably more likely to be condos or residential apartments."

While the church is talking with one developer, it has not inked a deal, Matthews said.

"At this point it’s confidential on both sides," he said.

Big-name developers including Wadih Fares, Jim Spatz and Louis Lawen said Friday that they aren’t in talks with St. Matthew’s.

But Fares, who is planning a $20-million development on a Joseph Howe Drive church property, said churches make good neighbours.

"Having a church next to your development is a plus," said the president of WM Fares Group. "They don’t make much noise."

St. Matthew’s made an unsuccessful last-minute petition to the city’s urban design task force about 18 months ago to increase limits on how high a developer can build on the site.

"But the urban design task force felt that they had to maintain a principled position on the lower heights in the Barrington conservation district, rather than making piecemeal or spot exceptions," said Andy Fillmore, the city’s manager of urban design.

Anything built where the church sits now and in the south yard, next to Government House, can’t be any higher than 22 metres, which could be six or seven storeys. Development on the northern part of the church’s land, which borders the Maritime Centre, must be limited to 11 metres in height.

"The task force was unsympathetic to a few developers who were just looking to increase the value of their land but were quite moved by the church’s position," Fillmore said. "It was not an easy decision for them to turn them down on this one."

Matthews is still hopeful the city will eventually lift height restrictions on the church property.

"There are all kinds of developments going on on Barrington Street — at least being talked about in theory — including things that have a fair bit of height. So who knows what it’s going to look like at the end of the day?" Matthews said.

"Something’s got to happen because there’s a lot of empty space on Barrington Street and it’s looking pretty poor right now for what is, essentially, the main street of the city."

The church property is about 30 metres deep, with about 12 metres of green space on either side of the existing structure. The church also owns a separate lot to the east of the main property.

The existing church will need to go through a structural assessment to determine the future cost of maintaining the building, he said.

"Are we going to have a bill for a million dollars a year and a half from now, or something like that in the worst-case scenario?" Matthews said.

( clambie@herald.ca)

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 6:17 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Did you all just read that??? They actually WANT to go higher than the 6-7 storey limit. We need more church's like this one. I support this project and best of luck to them.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
"Anything built where the church sits now and in the south yard, next to Government House, can’t be any higher than 22 metres, which could be six or seven storeys. Development on the northern part of the church’s land, which borders the Maritime Centre, must be limited to 11 metres in height."
Seems like the city has this a little backwards...

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 7:34 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
Seems like the city has this a little backwards...
This sounds unusual to me also. Are they trying to preserve the Maritime Centre?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
This sounds unusual to me also. Are they trying to preserve the Maritime Centre?
Lol no its because of the Heritage District on Barrington Street. The church lot is within the zone but the lot to the east is outside of the zone and therefore can be built up higher.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I presume that Government House was probably the focus of any attempts to "preserve" heritage assets

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth