HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States

Old Posted Jun 20, 2020, 11:00 PM

Smile Nicest or most beautiful skyscraper in each U.S. state

This thread was inspired by the thread "Most dreadful skyscrapers in the USA", but with a more optimistic and positive spin: what is the best-looking skyscraper* in each state in the USA?

*(and/or "high-rise building" if that state lacks any true skyscrapers).

I encourage folks to look at criteria such as the general shape and form of each building, materials and design, and also consider the greater urban environment and how each skyscraper compliments its surroundings (after all, a particular skyscraper may look beautiful in one setting, but jarring and out-of-place in another). Each building should be judged primarily on exterior aesthetics, but other factors such as historical significance, architectural heritage, or just practicality and use of the interior space, can be considered for tie-breaking purposes. Let's see if we can make it to all 50 states, and I'll start us off.

New York: Empire State Building, New York City.

It was a close race between this one and the Chrysler Building, because both are beautiful, iconic, and stunning examples of the Art Deco movement (which I have a particular fondness towards, for which I blame Bioshock and Fallout), but I think the ESB just edges out its competitor for not only being taller, but also for being the tallest in the world for 40 years. Also, was featured prominently in the movie King Kong, so it also beats out the Chrysler on the cultural significance front.

Ohio: Terminal Tower, Cleveland.

What the ESB is to NY, the Terminal Tower is to Ohio: another towering monument to the optimism and euphoria of the Roaring 20s and the Art Deco age, but built and opened during the grim and gritty times of the Great Depression, and then going on to dominate and define the city's skyline for decades to come.

Colorado: 1999 Broadway, Denver.

Though it's neither the tallest nor most distinctive landmark on the Denver skyline, 1999 Broadway is, in my opinion, the most unique and architecturally interesting mile high-rise in the Mile High City. It was built around (and on top of) an old and historic church, the Holy Ghost Catholic Church, so it looks almost like the two buildings are connected.

Utah: Wells Fargo Building, Salt Lake City.

Utah doesn't have very many high-rises to choose from, but out of what they do have, I think this one looks the nicest of the lot (its trapezoidal shape makes its edges look more sleek and knife-like, which is better than the boring rectangular blocks throughout the rest of the city). It earns extra points in my book for being the tallest in the state and overtaking the previous tallest, the LDS Church's office building (which, no offense to anyone's religious beliefs, looks simply dreadful - like it's better suited to be a nuclear reactor containment structure somewhere in the former Soviet Union).

Last edited by i4isoar; Jun 21, 2020 at 3:06 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States