HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTU Arch View Post
^ It has been. A developer is currently building on and filling in a city block adjacent (north) to the Farmer's Market with more townhomes. (http://www.dallasnews.com/business/r...ers-market.ece) They are building them as they sell them. Believe they have more than a few dozen under construction right now with a finishout of around 100. This corner of downtown is really getting a makeover, and turning into one of my favorite areas downtown. The views of the skyline from this area are uninterrupted. Looking forward to what comes about with this new plan for the Farmer's Market and what one developer is doing in Deep Ellum next door.

There is one developer that has bought more than thirty parcels of the old wardhouses in Deep Ellum. He was interviewed on the local media (http://www.wfaa.com/entertainment/De...189134541.html), and stated he plans to rework the store fronts, repurpose (not teardown) the buildings for new tenants, work with the city on streetscapes, bring in a new mix of art galleries, restaurants, bars, and music venues. All this with a targeting a more mature crowd then what we knew in the 80's and 90's. Miss the 80's / 90's Deep Ellum, but this new plan will be good for the area.
Deep Ellum needs a lot more lofts and apartments built within it's retail areas.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Deep Ellum needs a lot more lofts and apartments built within it's retail areas.
I agree. There will be a lot of residential units in this area that will open up in the next couple of years, maybe not in Deep Ellum, but close to it like the southeast part of downtown along Harwood St. We have so several renovation projects going near the area, Deep Ellum hopefully will reach its full potential if this developer becomes successful, and the Farmers Market will be redone. Things are shaping up in downtown.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 6:01 PM
high five!

Affordable artist housing potentially coming to Dallas Arts District

By JEFF MOSIER
Staff Writer
jmosier@dallasnews.com
Published: 19 February 2013 11:13 PM

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/commu...s-district.ece

Quote:
His nonprofit arts group, La Reunion TX, hopes to address that, if it can secure $1.1 million in low-income housing grants to subsidize residences for artists at a new development in the Arts District. The City Council’s Housing Committee on Tuesday endorsed a tax-credit application for the project, Flora Lofts, although the application faces fierce competition from others seeking the housing assistance.

If built, the six-story residential development would go up on Flora Street, near two feuding neighbors: the Nasher Sculpture Center and Museum Tower, a luxury high-rise where most condominiums cost at least $1 million.
Quote:
Meckfessel said the 39 affordable housing units would rent for $360 to $790 each. Eight penthouse units, priced at market rates, would go for about $1.75 per square foot — or $1,750 for a 1,000-square-foot apartment.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 6:02 PM
high five!

Quote:
The six-story structure at 2121 Flora Street will feature upper stories that are stepped back from Flora Street, with landscaped terraces on those floors. The artist housing on the upper floors will be blended with street-level retail filled with uses like a café, gastropub, floral shop, technology gallery and other creative neighborhood benefits.
http://www.florastreetlofts.com/wp/

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 3:56 PM

A few shots of new-ish stuff from my trip to Dallas this past weekend:

Perot Museum

Perot Museum

Klyde Warren Park and Museum Tower

New development in Fort Worth

Construction on TCU's stadium

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post

New development in Fort Worth
Looks like you and I crossed paths over the weekend and didn't realize it. We ultimately decided not to rent there, but it's a great location, close to the museums.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 9:51 PM

^Out of curiosity, how much does it cost to rent in that area? Say, for a one bedroom?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 7:26 PM

Quote:
^Out of curiosity, how much does it cost to rent in that area? Say, for a one bedroom?
These are on the Ft. Worth side of the metro, which tends to be less expensive then the Dallas side of the metro. According to their website one bedrooms range from 720 for the smallest to 1900. www.theloftsatwest7th.com

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 7:56 PM

Any updates on the on going projects?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 8:17 PM

Here are some of my Pictures of the West 7th street and Lancaster area in Fort Worth. This area used to be almost entirely industrial and warehouses.

Untitled by Micro55, on Flickr

x by Micro55, on Flickr

And over in downtown, here is a historic building that is being torn down to make way for more development in Sundance

DSC_0298 by Micro55, on Flickr

This is what will be replacing this building and the empty surface lot behind,

Source: http://www.fortwortharchitecture.com/cassidy.htm

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 9:28 PM

Quote:
I think the average one is about $1400 a month; we were looking at two bedrooms at around $1900 a month.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 9:34 PM

I also looked into that building in which Chuy's is located. Nice, but a little bit more than I wanted to spend.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 6:36 PM

Posted this in the transportation blog, but posting here too since it applies to DFW.

A new report has come out about Amtrack's ridership numbers from the Brookings institute. http://www.brookings.edu/research/re...-puentes-tomer

Its a mixed bag but generally ridership numbers have gone up. I have to say being in Texas I had to do a double take at the DFW numbers. While DFW is not one of the 10 metro's they cite as being a major contributer to ridership, the overall increase from 97 to 2012 is substantial (482.9% up from 34K to more than 200K). Something to not be ignored and shows growing support of passenger rail at least in North and Central Texas. Houston had a growth of a little over 4,000 riders in the same period to a total of 20K plus riders, San Antonio 60% to 70K, and Austin 383% to about 54K. I'm a supporter of HSR, and now understand why Amtrack in Texas is concentrated more on connecting DFW with San Antonio / Austin with HSR. I always thought Houston / DFW was the first natural connection, but looking at the ridership numbers puts a new perspective on it. Still think Houston and DFW need to be connected as being the two primary metro's in the state.

http://transportationblog.dallasnews...il-plans.html/

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTU Arch View Post
Posted this in the transportation blog, but posting here too since it applies to DFW.

A new report has come out about Amtrack's ridership numbers from the Brookings institute. http://www.brookings.edu/research/re...-puentes-tomer

Its a mixed bag but generally ridership numbers have gone up. I have to say being in Texas I had to do a double take at the DFW numbers. While DFW is not one of the 10 metro's they cite as being a major contributer to ridership, the overall increase from 97 to 2012 is substantial (482.9% up from 34K to more than 200K). Something to not be ignored and shows growing support of passenger rail at least in North and Central Texas. Houston had a growth of a little over 4,000 riders in the same period to a total of 20K plus riders, San Antonio 60% to 70K, and Austin 383% to about 54K. I'm a supporter of HSR, and now understand why Amtrack in Texas is concentrated more on connecting DFW with San Antonio / Austin with HSR. I always thought Houston / DFW was the first natural connection, but looking at the ridership numbers puts a new perspective on it. Still think Houston and DFW need to be connected as being the two primary metro's in the state.

http://transportationblog.dallasnews...il-plans.html/
Now if we could only get a big jump in DART ridership. If there was a Dallas to Houston route I would certainly use DART more.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 5:47 AM

Thanks Austin55, Fort Worth is looking real good with all the development that is happening in and around downtown.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 6:41 PM

The new Perot Nature and Science Museum is already talking expansion.

http://cityhallblog.dallasnews.com/2...ompleted.html/

This is exciting. Been there and the building is awesome, and well done. Its just small when compared to other Nature and Science. This museum has been sold out just about every weekend since it opened.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 7:30 PM

^Yeah it's a really neat building, and I had trouble getting tickets when I went becuase it was so busy.
I just wish the exhibits were more neutral. An energy hall sponsored by an oil company, and the hall is 75% about fracking, with no mention of any of the possible negative consequences? It's a clear conflict of interest and a shame to see something like that in a science museum.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 5:36 PM
Verticle

Here's a picture from my office window in Uptown of the Carlisle rising. Taken yesterday, March 7, 2013. I am not sure about the helicoptor...it was hovering for quite a while, but not over the Carlisle.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 5:41 PM
Verticle

Picture of the Stoneleigh Residence construction taken today, March 8, 2013 from my office window in Uptown. Seems very slow on putting up the skin.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 9:09 PM

Thanks for the pics. The project you named is actually the Taylor http://forum.dallasmetropolis.com/sh...-3030-Carlisle, but it is on Carlisle. There is also a midrise going up across the street (3003 Carlisle) not shown in your pic. That drive on Bowen / Cedar Springs is buzzing with activity. You pass by 4 big construction sites as you drive into Oak Lawn from Uptown (the Taylor, 3003 Carlisle, the parcel of land bounded by Turtle Creek and Bowen, and the apartments going up at Cedar Springs / Sale Streets.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations