HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 24, 2006, 2:03 AM
BeenThere,DoneThat

It sounds like the garage/pool/sundeck will be north of the tower so it will be partially in the shade?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2006, 1:59 PM

Schedules can't be followed with precision so if there is a period where nothing is going on it doesn't mean the project has been halted. Subcontractors have many commitment and there could be a reason not visible to us why work stops for a few days.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2006, 5:45 PM

Murano is a go!

Originally Posted by pcp_ip
"I could very well be wrong. It appeared that they were actively working on filling the hole in. And the fabric sign was missing. That's why I asked!

I'll walk by it today and take a look."

As most of you already know, D'Angelo Bros. is NOT a construction company, they are a demolition company. The Murano will not have an undergroud garage, so there will be no hole to dig. They have been conducting what they call "soil remediation" studies since they demolished the Budget lot which had gas lines for the tanks used to refill their rental fleet. I've been told that the upside is that that car lot was relatively newer so all of the lines were intact and the soil quality was not compromised. Even if it was, they take measures to correct it, albeit at the expense of their construction schedule. The soil underneath the Murano got the thumbs up, and they will be pouring the actual concrete for the tower within a week. D'Angelo is moving out and Turner is moving in. So according to Turner Construction, the company building the Murano, they are actually ahead of schedule with the groundwork getting enviro-clearance. They also built Cira Centre, so I'm glad to know that quality work will be on display at the Murano as well.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2006, 5:48 PM
Hard worker

^ Thanks Guru! Got any inside info on 10 Rittenhouse?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2006, 6:05 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Well that's good to know. There is talk of altering the building's diagram entry. I'll let them know what's up.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2006, 6:05 PM

10 Rittenhouse

Inside info? Why, what have YOU heard? I've only heard a few things about that project that would concern me. They have financing, they have buyers, but they don't have contracts yet. So, at this point, they are only taking reservations, which is fine really; tons of projects do it that way. It's half a dozen of one or the other really.

More pressing are the engineering and equipment issues. The building will probably get built, albeit far longer than anyone would care to admit. You've seen that site, right? Where do you think Turner is going to put its equipment? The quesiton of space is very much a challenge for them. You have to get city approval on everything. They recently got approved on the construction, but not on closure of neighboring streets for their construction traffic. That can have a profound impact on delaying construction of the building. It's a tight space, and there is limited, if any room to store equipment. Other buildings on the waterfront do not have those problems for obvious reasons. Comcast has that entire block, and so does Symphony House. Murano just now got approval to shut down a lane of traffic on both 21st and Market St. These are not minor details, they're HUGE. Getting your equipment and crews in and out can make the difference between 6 months and even one year if you can't get those details worked out.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2006, 6:11 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

True. That was a big issue of concern during the meeting for the Barnes Tower on Wednesday. The contratcors would need to shut down a lane on 21st Street for their work which is actually removing a lane of parking in a neighborhood where parking is at an extreme premium.

They are hemmed in at that site. Those are details I would hope a builder with the kind of experience Turner has would work out well in advance.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2006, 6:18 PM

RE: 10 Rittenhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by volguus zildrohar
True. That was a big issue of concern during the meeting for the Barnes Tower on Wednesday. The contratcors would need to shut down a lane on 21st Street for their work which is actually removing a lane of parking in a neighborhood where parking is at an extreme premium.

They are hemmed in at that site. Those are details I would hope a builder with the kind of experience Turner has would work out well in advance.
It's not Turner, it's the city of Philadelphia. Unfortunately, we live in a city that has bureaucratic red tape with no rhyme or reason. There is no sure fire timeline for ANYTHING that anyone can possibly count on. The sad fact is, they get back to you when they are damn well good and ready, and there's no way of knowing how long that can take. Even something as simple as a city cert can take a month or a year, no joke! Why? Noone knows. Sometimes political connections help, sometimes they don't make any difference at all. It's mind blowing how archaic this city operates and the impact it can have on such amazing projects that will make the city BETTER!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2006, 6:27 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

We all know that, for sure. It's easily the wost thing about Philadelphia and certainly the largest thing that has kept this city in the Stone Age. The renewed investment in Center City is happening despite the city.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2006, 7:01 PM
furified freestyle

i don't recall seeing these before yesterday ...

Old Posted Mar 24, 2006, 7:41 PM
Philly Roots

Cant they cover the street so traffic can go through an they can put stuff on top. Its done all the time in New York. I am not sure how much weight it can hold. The crane will have to be fully supported by earth. And if these are developers. Then they could buy those other surface lots and use them.

If the city has approved construction and demo of those poor buildings theyll have to give some prividge of this

Old Posted Mar 24, 2006, 10:54 PM

10 Ritt -

i reported a few days ago that i contacted the saleswoman there. she said they are only taking reservations (i thought that was odd) and sometime next week they will begin pinning the rittenhouse club to avoid another 18xx springarden st diaster (where a neighboring building collapsed).

im sure wheeler knows hes on thin ice with the community; if the ritt club collapsed during construction...it could be like one of those southwest airlines commericials - wheeler being chased by NIMBY's armed with pitchforks and lawyers and in the background you hear, "wanna get away? well now you can with southwest airlines new low fares..."

so was she bullshitting me? we should find out next week.

now back to the murano....

Old Posted Mar 25, 2006, 4:50 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

McBane, you can slap 10 Rittenhouse updates here in the 10 Rittenhouse construction thread.

God knows it needs the help.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2006, 1:55 AM

Thumbs up building up

So I hear that they start building 'up' strarting the first week of April! Keep the pictures coming!!!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2006, 7:30 PM

Breaking Ground

Yes Doc,

I heard the same thing from Turner. They are done with the prep work for the tower, are ripping up the area where the garage will be and are starting to pour the first week of April. I have some friends who know the builders and apparently there will be no fancy ceremony like the one at Symphony House. They're not egomaniacs like Dranoff where the party and the advertising is more about him than the building! haha Nevertheless, it's nice to see the Murano move from the pages of a magazine to an actual building on the ground. I wish more of those cool renderings were actually being built!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2006, 1:53 AM

I just realized that the residents on the upper floors of the Murano are gonna look out they're window and see the scrolling highlighted marquee atop the Peco building...well at least sometimes they will.

damn, Nova lost....o'well Soprano's are still on

Old Posted Mar 27, 2006, 2:49 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Yeah, that's true. PECO is only two blocks away. I wonder if that will make for any friction...

Old Posted Mar 27, 2006, 4:06 PM
Do you like... Huey Lewis

surely something will go up between Peco and the Murano and it wont be an issue, at least, not for this building
"I'm exceedingly pro-growth, but I have to respectfully dissagree. Growth is not the holy grail, smart growth is. Uncontrolled, careless growth which ends up creating problems in the long run is called cancer." -Eigenwelt

Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2006, 8:05 PM
I ate your kids. Sorry.

Read some mention of concrete a few pages ago. Is this gonna be steel or concrete core - steel frame?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2006, 10:34 PM

I'm glad there is some positive news here unlike 10 Rittenhouse. It makes sense for these projects to start in the springtim so they can get a good 7 or 8 months of construction out of the way before weather becomes an issue. If we can get a ground breaking on 1919 and the Ritz building we will really be moving forward.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive