HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 10:35 PM

Atlanta: Perimeter Submarket Thread

I got tired of going around searching for news on developments in the Perimeter area, so I compiled it here.

Colliers' report on Perimeter office market

U/C

Two Glenlake - Greenstone Properties, Pope & Land, Granite Properties

350,000 sqft Office

Abernathy Four Hundred - Ackerman and Co., Russell New Urban Development, Abernathy Development Partners

400 Hotel
550,000 sqft Office
20,000 sqft Retail/Restaurant

Proposed

High Street - GID Urban Development Group

400 Hotel
1500 Condo
1500 Apartment
400,000 sqft Office
400,000 sqft Retail

Link to Big Version of Site Plan

A rendering of High Street courtesy of Trae

245 Perimeter Center - Novare Group

150 Hotel
900 Condo
350,000 sqft Office
33,000 sqft Retail
6,000 sqft Restaurant

The Terraces - RB Terraces LLC

400 Condo
12,000 sqft Retail/Townhome
22,600 sqft Restaurant

Perimeter Center East Mixed Use - RB 84 PC, LLC

240 Hotel
330 Condo/Apartment
8,000 sqft Restaurant

Lakeside - MetLife, Greenstone Properties

200 Hotel
300 Condo/Apartment
1,125,000 sqft Office - not this much is new maybe only like 7-8 hundred thousand the rest is existing.
50,000 sqft Retail

Palisades - Trizec Properties

200 Hotel
200 Condo
524,000 sqft Office
50,000 sqft Retail
10 Live/Work

Palisades ARC Review

35-story condo tower near Perimeter Place - ???

I remember hearing about this a couple of months ago but dont remember any details. anyone??

4004 Perimeter Summit - Hines, GE Pension Trust

400,000 sqft Office

Last edited by ATLskyline; Jul 28, 2007 at 11:07 PM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 11:24 PM
Apathetic...and Loving It

Yawn.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 11:29 PM
Urban Explorer

There is a lot of activity going on around the Perimeter (well, mostly on the north side), but I can't help but be bored with it. All the buildings look the same.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 1:50 AM

Im glad to see this thread. Some never before seen (by me at least) renderings of buildings going up in Atlantas 4th largest skyline. I do have to agree though, most of those buildings are boring.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 4:54 AM
(Oo=vw=oO) .:R32

Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy View Post
Im glad to see this thread. Some never before seen (by me at least) renderings of buildings going up in Atlantas 4th largest skyline. I do have to agree though, most of those buildings are boring.
Yeah, but you got to wonder how this area will look in 50 or even 100 years. How are all these suburban/campus type developments going to mature? Sell off the land around the buildings to build more buildings. It seems so interesting to see suburban edge cities and even more interesting to wonder how they will evolve.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 4:30 AM

Midtown and downtown will eventually merge with Buckhead and Buckhead will merge with Sandy Springs Perimeter area and eventually merge with Cobb Galleria area that will eventually merge with vinings area and it will be freakin awesome all skyscrapers. But that will be a while....

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 2:30 PM

....and then Atlanta will merge with Macon and Chattanooga and Birmingham and before we know it the entire US will be pure urban density from border to border.

But seriously, I also think it will be interesting to see how this area matures in years to come because you can already see the shift (at least if only a little) from suburban to urban/walkable designs. I think the success for edge cities like this will be to find the right combination of ped-oriented and car-oriented developments. I could see the Perimeter area looking more like Buckhead does today in 20-30 years.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLian12 View Post
Sandy Springs Perimeter area and eventually merge with Cobb Galleria area that will eventually merge with vinings area and it will be freakin awesome all skyscrapers. But that will be a while....
Hopefully, there will be a Northern Arc relieving 285 in place. Think the Top-end sucks now?..

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 5:09 AM
Man of Many Statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMidtowner View Post

....and then Atlanta will merge with Macon and Chattanooga and Birmingham and before we know it the entire US will be pure urban density from border to border.

But seriously, I also think it will be interesting to see how this area matures in years to come because you can already see the shift (at least if only a little) from suburban to urban/walkable designs. I think the success for edge cities like this will be to find the right combination of ped-oriented and car-oriented developments. I could see the Perimeter area looking more like Buckhead does today in 20-30 years.
It is important that these urban projects pan out and turn out to be sustainable. I tend to this that it is somewhat of a fad to some and the mainstream public prefers the suburban lifestyle. I have nightmares of closed down stores in desolate would-be urban centers. The coming housing bust couldn't have come at a worse time. For any of these centers to survive, they are going to need a lot of residents near by.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 11:01 AM

dante, It's happening out there right now. Take a spin down Perimeter Center East and you can see it firsthand. What I think is encouraging is that they are building a mix of rental and for sale units. They are demolishing all of the older low-rise office space throughout the neighborhood slowly but surely. It is being replaced with retail and/or residential - but so far no new office space, which is probably why The Perimeter now has the lowest office vacancy rate in the metro.

They are also steadily making more and more pedestrian improvements. Perimeter may be loathed by a lot of folks, but it isn't going anywhere. It is our largest sub-market and has the highest concentration of white collar jobs between DC & Texas. Anyone that cares about this city should be pleased at what is going on out there.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 1:46 AM

245 Perimeter Center

otherwise known as Novare's new Perimeter project. Siteplan is now out. Will be a 2 phase projects with one of the 30 story towers going up first and then it looks like the other 30-story tower and 14-story office building will go up in the second phase.

Site Plan

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLskyline View Post
otherwise known as Novare's new Perimeter project. Siteplan is now out. Will be a 2 phase projects with one of the 30 story towers going up first and then it looks like the other 30-story tower and 14-story office building will go up in the second phase.

Site Plan
It just gonna make the traffic worse. Abernathy/400 and 285/ashford will backed up for miles during rush hours.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 12:55 PM

^They already are. Are you saying that we should just keep the staus quo over there? I'm all for making this area as dense as it can possibly be, and it is happening right in front of us on a daily basis.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
^They already are. Are you saying that we should just keep the staus quo over there? I'm all for making this area as dense as it can possibly be, and it is happening right in front of us on a daily basis.
I know the traffic is bad right now but it is only for only a certain hours during day. And what's wrong with the status quo? It is just gonna increase the hours of traffic and more pollution. Are you telling me you want that just so for the sake of density? I prefer smart growth and not just let's plump everything possible down just to make an area dense.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonheart8588 View Post
I know the traffic is bad right now but it is only for only a certain hours during day. And what's wrong with the status quo? It is just gonna increase the hours of traffic and more pollution. Are you telling me you want that just so for the sake of density? I prefer smart growth and not just let's plump everything possible down just to make an area dense.
How do you expect traffic condition to improve unless density rises? The more developments like this = the less people need to be in their car which also = the more likely hood for mass transit. As the perimeter area fills out we can only hope that the level of attention to street presence increases. This development doesn't seem to be a shining example from the site plan, but it's definitely an improvement from most of the tiny footprints amongst a sea of parking lot that is common for most developments OTP.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
They are also steadily making more and more pedestrian improvements. Perimeter may be loathed by a lot of folks, but it isn't going anywhere. It is our largest sub-market and has the highest concentration of white collar jobs between DC & Texas. Anyone that cares about this city should be pleased at what is going on out there.
You are exactly right. The Perimeter area is hot!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
How do you expect traffic condition to improve unless density rises? The more developments like this = the less people need to be in their car which also = the more likely hood for mass transit. As the perimeter area fills out we can only hope that the level of attention to street presence increases. This development doesn't seem to be a shining example from the site plan, but it's definitely an improvement from most of the tiny footprints amongst a sea of parking lot that is common for most developments OTP.
I like the new development proposals and certainly hope they get built, and to be frank, they will help to line my pockets.

Living in the area the traffic isn't really that bad most of the time - only at rush hour. I used to work in Midtown (well, over by the tracks) and going home during the worst part of rush hour there are still ways around it and it isn't really as bad as some may paint it. Other than rush hour, in the Perimeter area, I hardly ever find myself complaining about traffic - it just isn't that much.

I suppose there would be some trade-offs in traffic volume with higher density developments but I would think that more depends on who buys and where they work and for how long. There are just so many variables.

As for hi-rise condos in the area I can't for the life of me, other than the desire to perhaps have a view, understand why somebody would want one over a single family house for the price. If I consider the way I live, what I do, and the value I'd take my house anyday over some place like the Manhattan - like by far. For the price of much smaller condo, with actually less convenience (I won't bore you with the details) I have more than twice the square footage, equal maintenance costs and 1.5 acres to boot. What I'm saying is I would guess there are a number of people that would shop and realize that and make the single-family home choice in the Perimeter area, thus limiting the attractiveness and volume of such developments.

But heck, to each his own. If that's what they want then more power to them.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 3:03 PM
BANNED

Has anyone heard if they are still building the Grand Bohemian Hotel by the Perimeter Marta? It was reported last November in the ABC and AJC.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 1:09 AM

Update on Two Glenlake (Newell Rubbermaid)

Two Glenlake is the new building that is going up near Abernathy and GA-400 next to the building that was formerly signed as Siebel (One Glenlake). The construction on Two Glenlake seems to have been very speedy and they're already up to about the 11th floor.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 4:36 AM

My friend is a Valet at Ashwood with PF changs , McCormicks and Brio and they have great lunch Business and he says half the people walk from all around and ive seen it. They might drive to and from work but the more dense the more people are gonna walk. Perimeter is going through a big boom and its good for everyone I think because its kind of a prototype of Suburban transformation to Urbanization for Atlanta.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta