HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 8:41 PM
Windy City Dan

Madison St

"The Madison" is no shrinking violet.

Bonus. Down the street, I forget the development name, but this exterior renovation turned out well. The center is sort of whatever, but the flanking bay window portions as well as the way it meets the street are really nice IMO.

Last edited by intrepidDesign; Feb 18, 2014 at 11:28 PM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Well, the reason I made the map was to show that transit access doesn't actually seem to be especially important to redevelopment. It's true that Loop office workers look for it, but they seem to solely bid up safe Blue and Brown Line locations with trendy restaurants and good schools rather than pioneering elsewhere. In a metro growing as slowly as Chicago, there's just not that much pressure to relieve.
I always monitor restauranteurs for gentrification. The owners of Lula Cafe (Nightwood in Pilsen) and Empty Bottle (Thalia Hall and Dusek in Pilsen) are great examples. These neighborhoods become destinations and young gentrifiers looking for affordable rent pave the way for professionals like myself 5-10 years down the road.

I am still bullish on Bronzeville though. I love the surrounding activity occurring in Bridgeport, McKinley Park, Hyde Park and Pilsen.

Last edited by Justin_Chicago; Feb 19, 2014 at 12:21 AM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Wait, what? Wasn't soil sampling being done recently? So this isn't approved yet?

Ridiculous. This thing needs to be built.
I agree that something like it in program needs to be built, but its form as rendered in the last design we've seen will end up having it look like a 'monster' as Mark Thomas of the Alley protests. I really hope a more granular-scaled design emerges before the construction papers are drawn up; otherwise, we will be saddled with one overwhelming pile of PoMo at that corner.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidDesign View Post
Should have a pretty good presence in the neighborhood. I've been enjoying the drive north on Racine from Harrison watching this go up.

Hope you don't mind that I used your picture angle. It was just about the same perspective as the rendering, and I got inspired!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Hey LVDW - speaking of Theaster Gates, I noticed in his Ted X talk he said something about purchasing a big performance space near Grand Crossing that is now abandoned. Is he the investor part of the sale of the New Regal Theater on 79th?
I haven't heard anything that confirms that, but knowing the people I do know who are involved, I wouldn't at all be surprised. Gates is definitely on my list of people to meet though, he's freaking awesome.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I haven't heard anything that confirms that, but knowing the people I do know who are involved, I wouldn't at all be surprised. Gates is definitely on my list of people to meet though, he's freaking awesome.
Yeah he is awesome. I'm sure if it's him, he got some other big time funders. I really want to meet the guy too - I guess having 2 friends on Facebook in common with him is a start ;-) I'm sure it's not that hard to do it. I really want to visit that area, especially once they're done with the bank renovation and the 32 units + art center going up all in that same area. If they put a few cool restaurants there (I think that's the plan) then that area could be looking VERY interesting.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 2:07 AM
TL;DR

Mr. D's map is slightly flawed in that it doesn't take into account the number of new units associated with a given building permit.

Without more information, a building permit map is a poor proxy for densification; maybe all of those permits are deconversions for all I know. It is a better proxy for gentification; wealthier people mean more building activity even if the population is decreasing.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidDesign View Post

Bonus. Down the street, I forget the development name, but this exterior renovation turned out well. The center is sort of whatever, but the flanking bay window portions as well as the way it meets the street are really nice IMO.
I have been following the developments at the Madison as well, as that is another property I am interested in renting at.

I am actually MORE interested in renting in that new building they are building at Madison and Racine (22 no aberdeen). It looks like the units will be AWESOME, but they are going to be leasing for May 1, and my lease doesnt expire until Sept 30

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Mr. D's map is slightly flawed in that it doesn't take into account the number of new units associated with a given building permit.

Without more information, a building permit map is a poor proxy for densification; maybe all of those permits are deconversions for all I know. It is a better proxy for gentification; wealthier people mean more building activity even if the population is decreasing.
The other thing, which I don't know why people aren't listening to me, is that his map is not accurate. It's missing hundreds of permits unless each square represents like 10-20 permits. The map is great, but yeah - way under represented by what's actually been issued.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 5:27 AM
The City

^. Not to mention all of the unpermitted rehabs that have gone on in the city, of which there are many

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 2:22 PM

Quote:
The other thing, which I don't know why people aren't listening to me, is that his map is not accurate. It's missing hundreds of permits unless each square represents like 10-20 permits. The map is great, but yeah - way under represented by what's actually been issued.
It looked lite to me too. Especially having seen your permit maps.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
It looked lite to me too. Especially having seen your permit maps.
Yup. There's tons in Lakeview, Bridgeport, West Town, Lincoln Park, etc that are not represented here.

In other small but positive news, 2 new buildings (8 total units) were issued building permits in Bronzeville near the 43rd St Green Line stop at 4332 S Prairie and 4335 S Michigan. Both appear to be on vacant lots and from the same owner, Legenda C-3 LLC. It will be interesting to see if there are more permits coming this week for the same area. That would be great to see..

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 4:36 PM
You had me at herro...

Just got an e-mail from the Buena Park neighborhood group that there's a meeting on Monday to discuss "Loukas Development proposal for the corner of Sheridan and Dakin".

Curious which corner it is, certainly not the southwest where there's a large new condo building, probably not the larger building to the northwest. It's either the building with the ACE on the southeast corner, or the place that should get the development - the abandoned bar on the northeast corner. Problem is I believe that building is slated to be torn down when they smooth out the red line curve there near Irving Park.

I'll have to see what the proposal is, but it's a great location rigt next to the Sheridan Red Line, with the #80, #151 and #36 buses all within a few minutes walk.

It's sad though, as that same development group was the one slated to build the mid-rise for the corner of Irving and Sheridan just on the other side of the red line. Now we have that horrid Walgreens there set back from the street with a parking lot right on the corner next to the L tracks.

Then across the street where Weiss hospital has torn down the 3 story wraparound older apartment building, then the nice 3-flat next to it and then closed down Nicks Uptown bar. The bastard hospital hasn't shoveled ONCE in front of that bar and it's horrible for people walking to and from the L stop.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago View Post
Just got an e-mail from the Buena Park neighborhood group that there's a meeting on Monday to discuss "Loukas Development proposal for the corner of Sheridan and Dakin".

Curious which corner it is, certainly not the southwest where there's a large new condo building, probably not the larger building to the northwest. It's either the building with the ACE on the southeast corner, or the place that should get the development - the abandoned bar on the northeast corner. Problem is I believe that building is slated to be torn down when they smooth out the red line curve there near Irving Park.

I'll have to see what the proposal is, but it's a great location rigt next to the Sheridan Red Line, with the #80, #151 and #36 buses all within a few minutes walk.

It's sad though, as that same development group was the one slated to build the mid-rise for the corner of Irving and Sheridan just on the other side of the red line. Now we have that horrid Walgreens there set back from the street with a parking lot right on the corner next to the L tracks.

Then across the street where Weiss hospital has torn down the 3 story wraparound older apartment building, then the nice 3-flat next to it and then closed down Nicks Uptown bar. The bastard hospital hasn't shoveled ONCE in front of that bar and it's horrible for people walking to and from the L stop.
I am surprised by this. I would think the area is stagnant until developers are aware of the city's plan for the Redline/Purpleline Modernization plan. The Sheridan Redline stop will be the most expensive section if the city plans on straightening the track. I expect the city to pursue eminent domain and essentially tear down most of the buildings along the stretch. Too bad people in the townhall meetings voted against extending the subway system north! Higher property values along the original track and lower acquisition costs could potentially outweigh the incremental cost. Anyways, I hope the city takes over the Walgreens through eminent domain so we can start new.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 5:07 PM

^Looking at all that old building stock tight up to the L tracks at that segment around the Sheridan stop makes me cringe thinking about having to plow through all of that to straighten that segment out. Development won't fill back in the way it exists around the tracks now. Not even close.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 5:15 PM

Speaking of Uptown and transit - last night there was a meeting about the Wilson stop rehab and I guess residents are happy now. According to this article, construction will start in the Fall and end in 2016. Originally it was supposed to end in 2017.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140...nts-compromise

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 5:18 PM
You had me at herro...

Alderman just e-mailed about the development. Unfortunately it's on the northwest corner butting up against the L tracks and it's a very well maintained, quality architecture older 3-4 story brick building that wraps the corner.

The proposal is an 8 story residential and retail building.

http://james46.org/3936-sheridandaki...m_medium=email

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago View Post

http://james46.org/3936-sheridandakin-proposal/

Hell yes! This is a must build.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 5:20 PM
tilted & shifted

Quote:
Speaking of Uptown and transit - last night there was a meeting about the Wilson stop rehab and I guess residents are happy now. According to this article, construction will start in the Fall and end in 2016. Originally it was supposed to end in 2017.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140...nts-compromise
Finally. This has been held up for way too long and should've happened years ago. Wasn't there some dispute over the placement of a column?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 5:45 PM

Looking at the map, this building should be safe from the Redline Modernization plan. I think the logical route is straightening the track after the turn and wiping out Walgreens, Holiday Club and every single 3/4 story until the cemetery. I assume someone in City Planning is smart enough to consider construction plans 10 years down the road before approving the development.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development