HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 8:28 PM
Denver is the M/W Father!

Location: IN THE LAND OF MILK AND HONEY WHERE HOPS AND CANNABIS REIGN SUPREME!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post
About 1 mile from 17th & California. Here's the view from the condo:

By the way... Happy Inauguration Day everyone!!!!
I am so freaking jealous of your view Ken! One day I will be in the downtown area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt

I'm sort of in your neighborhood but a couple miles west.

I-25 is majorly congested during rush hour, so it takes about 1.5 times the distance that it would take to get to downtown from Aurora.

Really? Have you noticed all the freaking infill in our area!? OMG when I first moved up here 4 years ago there wasn't really much past 120th now 160th feels like 120th used to. It's Suburban growth but hey it's better than no growth, and the Urbanish developments along Hwy 36 are very nice with more going up all the time. I wonder if Hwy 36 will ever become more like the DTC? That would be pretty cool IMHO.

There is no such thing as remaining constant.

Last edited by blm3034L!fe; Jan 29, 2009 at 8:31 PM. Reason: SPLNG

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 8:39 PM
I like this much better

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm3034L!fe View Post
I wonder if Hwy 36 will ever become more like the DTC? That would be pretty cool IMHO.
Imagine a skyline of mid-rises from Boulder down towards Castle Rock...

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snodrifter View Post
Imagine a skyline of mid-rises from Boulder down towards Castle Rock...
Well from Downtown to the DTC there are highrises almost all the way through, except once you pass Colorado Blvd then the highrises are more spread out, kind of the same thing along Hwy 36 into Downtown. There are highrises from Boulder to about 88th or Sheridan but not as consistant as the DTC and not quite as tall but still some 14 Story Towers in the area.

Then as you continue on 36 onto I-25 south to Downtown, the towers are kind of scarce. Unless you count the occasional 6 or 8 Story office tower placed off the freeway? Which there are some, not enough to consider it "connected" a stronger urban corridor from Boulder to Castle Rock may happen one day. Especially as/after fasttracks takes effect, I believe TOD's are going to be HUGE in the years to come! So maybe in 30-50 Years that might be a reality.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 10:43 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

It's interesting how the different threads of each city have different acronyms. I am just curious as to what DTC means?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 10:49 PM
Bah!

Here in the Quad Cities I am around 10 blocks from downtown Rock Island, around a mile and a half from downtown Davenport, 3 miles from downtown Moline and three and a half miles from downtown Bettendorf.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 11:05 PM
I like this much better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
It's interesting how the different threads of each city have different acronyms. I am just curious as to what DTC means?
Denver Tech Center.

Like, our second downtown, building and jobs-wise. There really isn't much reason to go down there (I don't think) unless you work there. Although there are several apartment projects, restaurants, and a few bars and whatnot in the area. It's got lightrail access.

Copyright © 2007 by Foresight Aerial Photography

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 11:44 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Thanks.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 11:48 PM

Denver Tech Center - Here's an excellent shot of the DTC taken by KCgridlock.

EDIT: Whoa - Took me a long time to locate this photo - and I see Snodrifter has already replied!

Last edited by CPVLIVE; Jan 29, 2009 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Comment

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 1:25 AM
100% Right 50% Of Time

Snodrifter - do you really want Atlanta metro to be dropped on top of us?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 1:52 AM
I like this much better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teshadoh View Post
Snodrifter - do you really want Atlanta metro to be dropped on top of us?
I live in Cap Hill and don't plan on living more than 1 mile from downtown, so I could really care less...

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm3034L!fe View Post
Really? Have you noticed all the freaking infill in our area!? OMG when I first moved up here 4 years ago there wasn't really much past 120th now 160th feels like 120th used to. It's Suburban growth but hey it's better than no growth, and the Urbanish developments along Hwy 36 are very nice with more going up all the time. I wonder if Hwy 36 will ever become more like the DTC? That would be pretty cool IMHO.
When I first moved here in 1991, there was absolutely no connection between Boulder, the east Boulder Co. cities and Denver metro. In the late 90s, I remember taking 104th east to DIA, and there was almost nothing between US-36 and I-25. Now, I'm up by 120th, and it's quite filled in. Granted, most of the development is suburban in nature, this is turning into a pretty dense area. We'll see what happens. I kind of hope we don't get much sprawl north of the beltway, but Frederick and Firestone are now essentially metro suburbs.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Denver Tech Center.

Like, our second downtown, building and jobs-wise. There really isn't much reason to go down there (I don't think) unless you work there. Although there are several apartment projects, restaurants, and a few bars and whatnot in the area. It's got lightrail access.

Copyright © 2007 by Foresight Aerial Photography
Sounds like DTC is to Denver as Sandy is to SLC (office space, some dense residential, light rail access - except DT Sandy also has a soccer stadium and, IMAX Theater, and a 2-level shopping mall)

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 5:38 AM
I like this much better

The IMAX is just up the road at Colorado, and Park Meadows mall is just down the road.

I can't wait to go to a game at Rio Tinto, though, F RSL.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 8:13 PM
100% Right 50% Of Time

Quote:
I live in Cap Hill and don't plan on living more than 1 mile from downtown, so I could really care less...
You would start noticing when more of the downtown office towers become vacant leading to fewer restaurants & bars & ultimately more pollution due to people commuting further.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_logic View Post
Sounds like DTC is to Denver as Sandy is to SLC (office space, some dense residential, light rail access - except DT Sandy also has a soccer stadium and, IMAX Theater, and a 2-level shopping mall)
Denvers Dicks Stadium for the Colorado Rapids is located N/E at Stapleton which when completly built out, would resemble Sandy and it's Office and eminities. The DTC Photo provided is a little out dated, you can tell from the Construction on I-25/I-225 intersection, the DTC area is BOOOMING right now as is Downtown Denver. Majority of the "open area" you see in that photo are either being filled in or have already been filled in. That photo does the DTC no justice.

And like Snodrifter mentioned the IMAX is about 2 Miles north of DTC and Park Meadows Mall Is MASSIVE and it's only about 7 Miles south of DTC or intersection of I-25/I-225 It's weird because the towers are more spread out as you go south of 25/225 but there are towers all the way to Park Meadows on to 470 and even Lincoln Road now. It just keeps GROWING!!!

The second photo you see on the Thread is a better photo of the Tech Center although some of the developments are out of the shot. Even though the economy is in the tank towers are still going up in both Downtown and the DTC. I don't think Denver or the DTC will see a serious decline with development.

Last edited by blm3034L!fe; Jan 30, 2009 at 9:10 PM. Reason: Spelling

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 11:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_logic View Post
Hey Urban_logic, I think this would be more like DTC is to Denver as Cottonwood Corporate Center is to Salt Lake City. I don't think there is an equivalent to Sandy. Sandy is it's own special case. Sandy is mostly just competing out of spite because of petty partisan politics and religious differences. Sandy is mostly LDS (Mormon) Republican and is trying to create an alternate conservative or "wholesome" downtown on suburban infrastructure which is designed to limit human interaction and the spread of differing ideas so that there is conformity, in contrast to liberal Salt Lake City's urban format which is designed to maximize on human interaction and the spread of differing ideas, which is why Salt Lake City is so liberal and progressive. Why else do you think Utah's LDS Republican State Legislators blocked Salt Lake City from using hotel taxes to build the Rio Tinto Stadium in downtown, and then conveniently allowed Sandy to use those same hotel tax dollars to build the Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy? Perhaps this is because of Mormon prophecy which states that Salt Lake City will become so wicked that God will destroy it. You can bet that if the Salt Lake region ever has an earthquake, Mormons will blame it all on Salt Lake City's "wickedness."

Last edited by urbanboy; Jan 30, 2009 at 11:38 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 3:11 AM

^ Whoa easy there killer, J/K

I had read somewhere that the Denver Tech Center actually has more Per Square Foot Office Space than Salt Lake City, but I cannot find the Article, so don't hold me to that. But I know I had read it somewhere.

Anyway if Utah continues to progress and if City and County officials start to "see the light of Urbaninaty" then i'm sure one day somewhere along the Wasatch Front near a UTA Lightrail Line you will have a "True Second Downtown" like Denver has in the Denver Tech Center.

Although some of the Denver Forumers say the DTC is not a true "downtown" because it is more sprawled out? I have to disagree a bit, because it is has become much more than just a Suburban Office Park, Denver has plenty of those. And trust me Five to Ten 8-12 Story buildings in an area does not really qualify as a "Second Downtown" IMHO something like that would qualify as a Suburban Office Park. But definately not a "Second Downtown" Hell Colorado Blvd, South Havana in Aurora, Broomfield and the Federal Center in Lakewood, and Jefferson County area in Golden would all qualify as "Second Downtowns" if that were the case. And all four of those areas have way more than 5-10 highrises in each area. But trust me they do not compaire to the DTC.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 12:27 AM

I totally agree with BLM on this one. Salt Lake really doesn't have the equivalent of a DTC yet. I think Sandy probably best compares with the Interlocken area.

When I lived downtown Denver I never would have thought about going down to the DTC area for anything. However, my sister lives down there and when I go back to visit, everyone that lives in "the bubble", as they call it, have plenty of places to play. I've been really surprised.

I'm not really sure what political leanings or religion has to do with anything, but I certainly wouldn't call the DTC and it's surroundings as a bastion of liberals by any stretch of the imagination. Just my thoughts anyway.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 2:42 AM

^ Thanks litvil3

I was hoping my comments wouldn't turn into a VS topic, I have a question for you? Why did you move to SLC? Denva is where it's at my friend.
J/K amigo seriously you should consider moving back out here. Some very attractive things are going to be taking place in Denver over the next 10-20 Years. Things that I believe would be worth experiencing yourself.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 4:48 AM

I love Denver. Have no doubt. I was promoted out here with my old job, but quit, sold my house and now I'm an Urban Planning major up at the U.

Not sure where to after that, but I doubt it will be Denver. There are many other great places to experience!

I'm there at least once a quarter though and I keep tabs on all the changes that are happening. I still read the RMN and DP everyday and have to fill my parents in on what's happening in their city.

I do love it though. My profs, and friends all get annoyed with my Denver boosterism out here in SLC.

And to be fair, I've loved living in Utah for the past six years. There are some AMAZING things happening here as well in all parts of the state. I'm certain that where ever my next city is, they will all be tired of me heaping praise on SLC.

I don't post much, but I love reading this forum. I think we should all feel very lucky to live in the Mountain West regardless of the locale. This is such a dynamic, vibrant place to be right now. It's so great seeing all of the positive changes that are occurring in all of our communities.

Ok, that was longer than I thought . . . but yeah, that's a little about me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West