HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

53W53 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscaper View Post
If Jean Nouvel, the actual architect, doesn't convince you that the myriad of past and recent renderings showing gold and silver at the top is correct... then nothing will until you see the end result, I guess

Also Enclos, the company actually fabricating the cladding, has this to say on 53w53rd on their website's project list

The architect and the cladding company telling us as plainly as possible what is obvious in the renderings.
There you have it straight from the horses mouth X2!
I guess they will just have to wait and see

Although I guess I can see the confusion since there are renderings that exist without the gold and silver, but at the same time the ones with the gold and silver clearly are not some magical difference in the reflection of sunlight, especially the ones at night.
Is it possible that there was a change of plans sometime during the planning of this project? That would explain the renderings without the extra color. Or maybe they were just incomplete models? Either way, the official instagram posted this rendering just two weeks ago with the gold and silver: https://www.instagram.com/p/BYRLbcflqci/?taken-by=53w53
And this one just 4 days ago: https://www.instagram.com/p/BYtJIdilB5i/?taken-by=53w53

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 4:35 PM
New Yorker for life

Again, you folks will just have to see. But regardless, this tower will be stunning.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 4:50 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

well this silver and gold resolution business at the top is certainly a twist.

for now it just gives us something else to look for as the cladding arrives on site and as it continues to rise.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Again, you folks will just have to see. But regardless, this tower will be stunning.

Wait and see that the architect and cladding company are wrong about their own project?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 5:09 PM

^Yeah no wait and see, it will be black, silver, gold. It's just design development, remember initial renderings for this thing are 10 yrs old. It should look really good, and the differentiation in colour helps it avoid looking too much like the John Hancock bldg.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 12:34 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:

Wait and see that the architect and cladding company are wrong about their own project?

Yes. Wait and see what will go up. I'm telling you it's not going to be what you think. But all you have to do is wait. It will cost you nothing.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 12:41 AM

Quote:
...I'm telling you...
Why should we believe you and not 1) what we see with our own eyes, 2) what the building's architect tells us, 3) what the cladding company tells us.

I mean, really? Why does what you say supersede all those things?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 12:44 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Why should we believe you and not 1) what we see with our own eyes, 2) what the building's architect tells us, 3) what the cladding company tells us.

I mean, really? Why does what you say supersede all those things?
Listen, I don't care what you believe. That's the end of it. The building is under construction. Watch it got up or don't. I don't care.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 1:16 AM

From the sales gallery. Hopefully they eventually show this model in the MoMA, I'm curious to see it in person as it's a little difficult to grasp the exact shape of this tower sometimes as so many of the renderings use forced perspective.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 1:29 AM

Great model showing the gold and silver top (that's supposedly some grand illusion to everyone )

They struck the right balance of being subtle and differentiating about the color change

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 1:43 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
This. The most exciting tower design to be going up on the planet at the moment.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 1:43 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Great model showing the gold and silver top (that's supposedly some grand illusion to everyone )

They struck the right balance of being subtle and differentiating about the color change
And that's just a model. Now, imagine when you see the real thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
This. The most exciting tower design to be going up on the planet at the moment.
It is, at least at the moment. It could be threatened by the Steinway Tower.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 5:40 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I'm kinda meh on the design and how it interacts with the area but you really can't get a grasp of the context from mock-ups and renderings (from photos, 432 Park Ave shits up the skyline and is ugly but is very striking in person) but the construction site is damn impressive and the space and footprint they have to work with. I walked over there daily while in NY for my wedding.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 7:25 PM

If we're not going to actually discuss and look at renders and just say "wait and see" then that kinda defeats the purpose of this board, no?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 7:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesh222 View Post
If we're not going to actually discuss and look at renders and just say "wait and see" then that kinda defeats the purpose of this board, no?
Agreed!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 8:39 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Nobody said you couldn't discuss the renders. They're practically posted on every page.

kevin gouge

Last edited by NYguy; Sep 11, 2017 at 8:53 PM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 12:47 AM

Quote:
I agree and I'm wondering what the general consensus is on the gold and silver. I really like it and I agree with Streetscraper that it's a perfect balance between subtle and explicit (according to the renderings). I honestly didn't even notice the color change for a while and it seems many other people did not either. Some people even thought it was just sunlight which I think speaks for the subtleness of it. But at the same time some people seem to be very against it. I think it adds a nice twist and some extra character to the design of the building.

Thoughts?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 1:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylkoorB View Post
I agree and I'm wondering what the general consensus is on the gold and silver. I really like it and I agree with Streetscraper that it's a perfect balance between subtle and explicit (according to the renderings). I honestly didn't even notice the color change for a while and it seems many other people did not either. Some people even thought it was just sunlight which I think speaks for the subtleness of it. But at the same time some people seem to be very against it. I think it adds a nice twist and some extra character to the design of the building.

Thoughts?
The model is good. I'm fine with that being built.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 2:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylkoorB View Post

Thoughts?

In my opinion, I love that the top will turn to gold and silver, classic colors that will make this building stand out even more (especially with all the taller scrapers rising around it).

Can you imagine 111 W 57th in this scene (below), soaring well above Verre, forming a tight, dense, step-wise pinnacle… elegant architecture and gold accents playing off each other, and both playing off the lush greens of the park and surroundings…

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 2:40 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive