HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 7:08 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
It makes sense that they assumed the hipsters would like their product, but they forgot how night time traffic is a major driver.

Having a shawarma joint open late next to the toad and related drinking/club establishments would be smart.
Kebap places like shawarma and Döner shops are life. I'm shocked we don't have more in Winnipeg . Here in Germany there are literally kebap stands open all the time, even in the smaller cities. It's also super cheap, 5 bucks or less in most cases.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 7:08 PM

^Hopefully they stay open late. Winnipeg seems to be the only city in the world that doesn't have late night DONAIR/KEBAB shops. Even in Edmonton they're everywhere.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Kebap places like shawarma and Döner shops are life. I'm shocked we don't have more in Winnipeg . Here in Germany there are literally kebap stands open all the time, even in the smaller cities. It's also super cheap, 5 bucks or less in most cases.
I've noticed that too when visiting other cities. But around here, it seems that a shawarma meal with drink is going to set you back around $15 which is a bit pricy for what it is.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 7:19 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I've noticed that too when visiting other cities. But around here, it seems that a shawarma meal with drink is going to set you back around $15 which is a bit pricy for what it is.
Yeah I've always wondered about that. Like 4 euros gets you a basic Döner and a beer in the cheapest places. Even in priced big cities it's always less than 5 euros for a kebap which is 7.50 cad

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 7:19 PM

I wouldn't consider Shwarma Khan a competitor for the donair shops that we don't have. It's decidedly much fancier.

We just have a ton of cheap fried chicken & pizza spots – some should change over lol.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 7:21 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I wouldn't consider Shwarma Khan a competitor for the donair shops that we don't have. It's decidedly much fancier.

We just have a ton of cheap fried chicken & pizza spots – some should change over lol.
We could lobby the government to get us a bunch of Turkish immigrants to do it for us. They've done a marvellous job her in 'Schland

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 7:43 PM

Quote:
part of the reason is that Germany has a lot of that type of food is the fact they have a large middle eastern community. I actually met someone from Vancouver this week that had never had a schwarma and didn't know what it was, so not sure it is prevalent everywhere.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 7:56 PM

Osborne Village church opposes heritage status on basis of religious freedom
Baptist congregation fears placement of church on historical list creates potential for state interference

An Osborne Village-area church is using the separation of religion and state as an argument against a city plan to confer heritage status on the building.

On Friday, city council's property and development committee voted to place Trinity Baptist Church on Gertrude Avenue on the City of Winnipeg's list of historical resources.

The 80-member congregation opposed the heritage designation for its 108-year-old building on the basis it could hamper the church's religious freedom, in the event it wished to make changes to its interior.​

Pastor Brad Warkentin said while the church has every intention of preserving the building, it's concerned about the future potential for the city imposing onerous conditions on renovations to the worship space.

"We want to be long-sighted and understand that future generations need to be free to make decisions about that worship space that prioritizes our beliefs over esthetics," Warkentin said at city hall.

"We do value the history of our building and our church is passionate about maintaining the historicity of the building."

Warkentin said while he believes city hall and city council have nothing but the best intentions toward the church right now, he fears the potential for future administrations behaving less amicably decades down the road.

Deep interest in avoiding 'state influence'
Beyond that practical concern, the church also has a philosophical reason to oppose the designation, he added.

"The separation of church and state is one of the bedrocks of what makes Baptists, Baptists," Warkentin said. "In our congregation, there's a deep interest in remaining independent from state influence."

Trinity Baptist was originally built as Nassau Street Baptist Church in 1910. A city heritage assessment describes the interior as remaining in "remarkably original condition."

​Fort Rouge-East Fort Garry Coun. Jenny Gerbasi, who sits on council's property committee, said she had never heard the separation of church and state used as an argument against heritage designation.

She called the argument fascinating but said it could not dissuade her or her colleagues from granting heritage protection to the church.

Heritage Winnipeg director Cindy Tugwell said she too was dumbfounded by the argument.

"We don't want to open Pandora's box," she said, adding she fears novel arguments against heritage preservation.

"The whole premise of designation all over the world in historic cities is that the government does have the right to protect a heritage property for the benefit of the public, for people, for future generations."​

The heritage designation of Trinity Baptist Church still faces approval from city council's executive policy committee and council as a whole.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...tage-1.4698065

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Where in Germany?

Austria introduced me to Shawarma and Donair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
part of the reason is that Germany has a lot of that type of food is the fact they have a large middle eastern community. I actually met someone from Vancouver this week that had never had a schwarma and didn't know what it was, so not sure it is prevalent everywhere.
Interestingly, I can't recall seeing many, if any shawarma places in Vancouver

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 10:39 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Where in Germany?

Austria introduced me to Shawarma and Donair.

Interestingly, I can't recall seeing many, if any shawarma places in Vancouver
I'm in a small city north of Berlin. You can't throw a stone without hitting one of those shops in any town over 25,000 people. There are also an absurd amount of bars here. The quaint downtown in my town of 50,000 puts the best parts of any North American city to shame in terms of vibrancy.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 10:45 PM

That argument by the church is absurd. Prioritize belief over aesthetic... lol are you out of your minds?!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 10:52 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
That argument by the church is absurd. Prioritize belief over aesthetic... lol are you out of your minds?!
There is something fishy about that whole line of reasoning. It sounds like an excuse for the sake of 'keeping their options open' or something along those lines, which is, of course, total bullshit.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
There is something fishy about that whole line of reasoning. It sounds like an excuse for the sake of 'keeping their options open' or something along those lines, which is, of course, total bullshit.
Yeah. What concerns me is the fact they only have 80 members (how are they still surviving), because that could mean they may want to do something else with the space soon. I wonder if maybe the city/HW caught wind of something.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 7:37 PM

The OV BIZ seems to be saying the old OVI (160 Osborne) will be open again by Canada Day, but it doesn't sound like it will be occupied:

Quote:
"Canada Day is quickly approaching us, and we love to celebrate our city and country by throwing an all-day block party! Including our fashion show which will take place inside of the old Zoo hotel, now holding a stage and catwalk for our Osborne clothing stores to show off their very hip, modern, posh, and diverse styles!"
https://www.uwinnipeg.ca/career-serv...al-june-21.pdf

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 7:39 PM

^ It looks like a gotdam wreck. It won't be ready for anything by July 1 except demolition.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 7:44 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ It looks like a gotdam wreck. It won't be ready for anything by July 1 except demolition.
Are there plans for the OVI site?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
Are there plans for the OVI site?
OV BIZ director claimed to the WFP that the OVI was leased, and the WFP printed it as fact.

But Cushman Wakefield is still marketing it as for lease, and as Esquire noted, it looks awful right now (they seem to be slowly demoing the facade)

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 8:05 PM

The only thing it could be ready for is a super-trendy/hip fashion show in an abandoned building – they've done nothing except demo so far.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 8:14 PM

Quote:
I'm in a small city north of Berlin. You can't throw a stone without hitting one of those shops in any town over 25,000 people. There are also an absurd amount of bars here. The quaint downtown in my town of 50,000 puts the best parts of any North American city to shame in terms of vibrancy.
This could be why Germany is ranked 23rd out of 191 countries for alcohol consumption.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 9:42 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
This could be why Germany is ranked 23rd out of 191 countries for alcohol consumption.
Half litre beer is 25 euro cents at the grocery store ,

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan