HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 5:24 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexal View Post
Is anyone else worried the city will implode in on itself eventually unless we get a train or subway or gondola or something. Getting to the domain isn't easy, especially if you have to drive up 360 -- the light is timed such that only a couple cars in a line of hundreds get through at rush hour, and nobody knows how to accelerate on the 360 hills. I live near the 2222 and 360 intersection and the domain feels "far" to me because of how stressful it is to drive up 360. I work in an office on 2222, but my company is one of the "lucky" ones moving adding an expansion office in one of the new domain towers, and I'm terrified my team will be one of the ones assigned to it.

I love that this city is growing bigger, but I am also worried.
If L.A. hasn't imploded yet...then Austin has nothing to worry about for decades.

jk

In all seriousness, all this crying about traffic in Austin makes me giggle. I've been all over the world and traffic in Austin is "bad," but, not disastrous. It's far worse in many, many, many other cities. I will say, this IS the time to make tough decisions and implement new mass transit options before the city gets too big where said options become too cost prohibitive.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Is anyone else worried the city will implode in on itself eventually unless we get a train or subway or gondola or something. Getting to the domain isn't easy, especially if you have to drive up 360 -- the light is timed such that only a couple cars in a line of hundreds get through at rush hour, and nobody knows how to accelerate on the 360 hills. I live near the 2222 and 360 intersection and the domain feels "far" to me because of how stressful it is to drive up 360. I work in an office on 2222, but my company is one of the "lucky" ones moving adding an expansion office in one of the new domain towers, and I'm terrified my team will be one of the ones assigned to it.

Must be indeed!

360 really ought to be a real highway but the neighborhoods won't allow it.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 6:19 AM
Meh

I cringe at the idea of turning 360 into a real highway. I'd rather not see a lot of concrete over there, any really. Expanding 360 would likely encourage more development. The only way I could get behind taking out the traffic lights is by digging out for underpasses. I just don't want to see any overhead concrete out there. It's one of the most unique stretches of road in any of the major cities because of the natural landscape.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 8:20 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I cringe at the idea of turning 360 into a real highway. I'd rather not see a lot of concrete over there, any really. Expanding 360 would likely encourage more development. The only way I could get behind taking out the traffic lights is by digging out for underpasses. I just don't want to see any overhead concrete out there. It's one of the most unique stretches of road in any of the major cities because of the natural landscape.
Dug out underpasses and no access roads.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
Man, those are really going to change the look of the Domain from Burnet.

I wish they could figure out some way to develop the grassy patch sandwiched between these buildings and Burnet, though. My guess is it's some kinda drainage area or something.
The city has approved and released a permit/case for a 6 story, 155 room "Element Hotel" with a parking structure at 10728 Burnet Rd. I believe this maps out to somewhere in the grassy area.

See link for city reference file name SP-2017-0416C: https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...errsn=11810832

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 6:41 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynmark View Post
The city has approved and released a permit/case for a 6 story, 155 room "Element Hotel" with a parking structure at 10728 Burnet Rd. I believe this maps out to somewhere in the grassy area.

See link for city reference file name SP-2017-0416C: https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...errsn=11810832
Yes, when I plugged the address in it put a pin on the grassy spot between RBFCU and the retention pond...or just about where Brockton Dr. meets up with Burnet Rd.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
There are already preliminary plans to put in overpasses over most of the intersections. The only remaining lights will be at the northern and southern most ends. If you do enough Googling, I'm sure you'll find the info.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
There are already preliminary plans to put in overpasses over most of the intersections. The only remaining lights will be at the northern and southern most ends. If you do enough Googling, I'm sure you'll find the info.
The light at 183 is the one that most needs a bypass.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 11:35 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:

I know what you mean, I live on the Southside and getting to the Domain can be a hassle in the best of times. We live in a fairly spread out city but we've seen the benefits of dense/compact development. To be able to get around with a wide range of mass transportation options would be ideal and maybe someday we will have them.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 5:50 PM

Asian American Cultural Center moves forward with plans for a senior living facility, public tearoom and dumpling shop

Quote:
Preliminary plans for a senior living facility, updated child care center and a public teahouse and dumpling room at the Asian American Cultural Center are in early stages of the city’s permitting process, the center’s director Amy Wong Mok said.

The center, located at 11713 Jollyville Road, Austin, currently houses preschool and day care programs as well as cultural events but only utilizes about 30 to 40 percent of the land the facilities are situated on, Wong Mok said.

“The character of a community will be measured by how we treat our elders and our children so we are trying to do our part, meet that need and build a community,” she said.

While Wong Mok said she has been developing plans for the center for over three years, she made the formal zoning change request July 13. The project requires a zoning change from limited office use, or LO, to community commercial mixed-use, or GR-MU, to allow up to 80 to 100 senior living facility units as well as the tearoom and dumpling house. Any height variances will be subject to public input, Wong Mok said.

The zoning change case has not yet gone before the city’s Zoning and Platting Commission, which needs to approve the plan prior to a final vote from Austin City Council.

District 10 Council Member Alison Alter sent out a notice Aug. 27 asking for input from community members interested in attending a public meeting regarding the project. A date for the public meeting has not been set yet.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 10:05 PM
クラブトクヨ

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 7:35 PM

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 8:48 PM

I'm not seeing "Domain Residential" on this map. Do we know where it is?

EDIT: unless it's "Luxury High-Rise Apartments?"

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I'm not seeing "Domain Residential" on this map. Do we know where it is?

EDIT: unless it's "Luxury High-Rise Apartments?"

Until more info is added to the site plan, I'm assuming it's the 23-story "Luxury High-Rise" - especially since Domain III seems to be part of the same project. Domain III may be the first Domain tower to take advantage of the new 305' height limit. I don't know what Domain II is.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 3:43 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
So we have these four (three of which are moving faster than the fourth), two more Domain northside towers (one of which is about to go vertical), the two Capella towers, and whatever emerges from Brandywine that will all be over 200’ and are mostly over 300’. That doesn’t include the three small senior housing towers. That’s a skyline for a small city.

The next big domino to fall is the IBM building next door to these three proposed towers. Hopefully, by that time the area will be upzoned further for 400’ or more.

Last edited by wwmiv; Oct 19, 2018 at 3:55 AM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 4:22 AM

My wishlist for the area still includes:

1. Infill development on the parking lots.
2. Redevelop Braker Pointe as mixed use with a pedestrian bridge into the Domain.
3. Redevelop the La Quinta.
4. Move the bus service yard elsewhere and redevelop that as mixed use.
5. Expansion of the research facilities at J.J. Pickle.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 5:23 AM
Meh

I'm wanting to see more priority on making it into a grid system. I hate these lazy winding streets and awkwardly shaped blocks and them being passed off as an urban area. It may just be wishful thinking on my part, though.

I am looking forward to some more height. It's kind of neat noticing the Domain area buildings now from I-35. If we can get a few taller buildings there then it'll feel like a 2nd skyline.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 5:25 AM

Grid based urbanity is largely a North American thing. Old world cities are way more free form, so I am not necessarily opposed to a more piecemeal approach on the basis that it will feel less urban when complete.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 1:09 PM

A grid system is easier to navigate for first responders. I drove a fire truck back in the 90s and I can attest to that.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
A grid system is easier to navigate for first responders. I drove a fire truck back in the 90s and I can attest to that.
I'm a grid guy, but mostly because it's a good way to structure car traffic/parking/control. As this corridor grows, we're going to need ways to deal with traffic. Arguably the Domain itself already does.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin