HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 4:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post

I remember years ago lots of Your slamming Scheiff also.Then he became one of the best players in the nhl.
I never said anything bad about Scheifele. Ever.

Quote:
Either way. I cannot stand sucks on the ice. Hence Cindy and my dislike for him. He is like PK. Always crying about something. He makes so much money he shouldn’t act like he does. In fact isn’t he the highest paid in the nhl or the highest paid contract. An insane one at that.
You are exaggerating about Crosby and his complaining. Also, Crosby is not the highest paid player in the NHL.

Quote:
As for cups........... Buffy has a few cups. Ladd had a few cups.
Byfuglien only has one Stanley Cup.

Quote:
So What? It takes an entire team. Look at the Caps this year. Not doing so good are they amd they do have a cup. Look at. Vegas they are a joke this year as I predicted btw.
It's six games into the season. Too early to draw any conclusions.

Quote:
Had the jets beat them last year we’d have probably had the cup. Now would that have made Laine or Scheif or Wheels superstars.....like Cindy and his box of tissues.
None of the players you mention are remotely as good as Crosby.

Last edited by Jets4Life; Oct 17, 2018 at 12:52 PM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 3:38 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJYBR View Post
You quoted me as saying Laine is not an elite player...When the first thing I said is that he is an elite player.

I'm assuming you're talking about Crosby when you say Cindy. I am pretty sure he is outside the top 10 in salary, and he is definitely outside the top 10 in cap hit.

Please take the time to do some digging before misquoting someones remarks or throwing out incorrect stats when trying to make a point.
You can't call Laine an elite player in his second season. Especially since he looks like garbage out there so far this season. Laine has talent and a wicked shot, but the rest of his game leaves much to be desired right now. I have no doubt he will be an elite player, but it's way too soon to call him that in his second season in the NHL.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 3:58 PM

^ We're into season 3 with Laine. I agree that he hasn't looked great so far this season but in fairness the Jets had a pretty unimpressive first 10 or so games last year too, as I recall... things got a lot better.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 4:38 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ We're into season 3 with Laine. I agree that he hasn't looked great so far this season but in fairness the Jets had a pretty unimpressive first 10 or so games last year too, as I recall... things got a lot better.
No, I get what you're saying. My point is that Scheifele and Wheeler are elite players. They have been in the league long enough to have established themselves as such. Byfuglien is debatable. Morrissey is on his way to becoming an elite player. He is my standout guy so far this season. He always brings his A game.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Crosby was an elite player. Jen is still a top player. But I wasn’t really knocking off Cindy anyway. It was the remark the the second top goal scorer in the league isn’t an elected player comment made by whatever his name was is a joke.

I remember years ago lots of Your slamming Scheiff also. Then he became one of the best players in the nhl. Laines paired with little. It doesn’t work for them. The rest of your line has to jive with you. Put Mathews or McJesus or Cindy with two guys that don’t jive and their points would drop substantially.

Either way. I cannot stand sucks on the ice. Hence Cindy and my dislike for him. He is like PK. Always crying about something. He makes so much money he shouldn’t act like he does. In fact isn’t he the highest paid in the nhl or the highest paid contract. An insane one at that.

As for cups........... Buffy has a few cups. Ladd had a few cups. So What? It takes an entire team. Look at the Caps this year. Not doing so good are they amd they do have a cup. Look at. Vegas they are a joke this year as I predicted btw.

Had the jets beat them last year we’d have probably had the cup. Now would that have made Laine or Scheif or Wheels superstars.....like Cindy and his box of tissues.

In fact they should make a tissue box with his mugshot on it. I’d buy that.
Crosby took a huge pay cut so that the Penguins could ice a good roster. He was supposed to get around 10-12 million but asked 8.7 million. He is at 10 or something now, but that is still really low for him. You're delusional man.

2 of the last 3 Cups were led by a Crosby team. Sure as hell is still elite. The year before last he led the league in goals scored. Sure as hell is still elite. He was tenth in points last year after winning back to back cups. Sure as hell is still elite.

One thing to remember is that the longer you last in the playoffs the more toll is taken on your body, and the less time you have in the offseason to recover. To go back to back cups he must have been hurting pretty bad.

I honestly expected the Penguins to do worse last year than they did. But he still ranked top ten in points. Crosby has ranked top ten in points every full year since joining the league. He is still elite.

He also made plays last year that blew everyones mind. Especially in the playoffs.

Crosby is also not a suck. He receives more cheap shots than any other player in the game, which is expected if you're the best. 90% of the time he sucks it up. 10% of the time he cheap shots back or whines about it. Which is also only expected.

To call him a suck is ridiculous. He is one of the strongest players in the game. He has more leg strength than anyone in the league. His edgework is off the charts. There is not a single player that can out man him against the boards, and in a lot of cases there are two players at once struggle take him on when he is fighting you below the net. Take that and his ability to find an open man whilst fighting off two players at once, and to do it pretty much every game...

Crosby to me is still the best overall player in the game. McDavid is surely going to pass him, and probably soon. But McDavid still has some things to work on. McDavid, is already a better offensive player in most aspects, but his overall game just needs a tiny jump to be better than Crosby in my opinion.

On to Laine. Laine is one of the worst players on the team this season (offence only). He has obviously spent the entire summer playing fortnite. His hands have regressed. His shot has regressed. He lost some weight so he is a little faster, but it doesn't show, because he is so damn lazy. He is by far the weakest forward on the boards, to the point where he easily gets trapped in his own end if the puck ends up near him, and if he starts with the puck on the boards offensively he will almost assuredly lose it, if any battle is needed.

Also, the patented Laine skate by with a stick wave drives me insane (reason for the Nurse OT winner, that and Ehlers terrible pass). It could honestly be a college drinking game. He is strictly a one dimensional player at this point, and even then his shot has regressed, so that dimension has taken a hit. Especially since teams are now catching on to him on the PP.

His passing is also questionable. Unless he is not under pressure or if it is a drop pass, which is the equivalent to grade 1 hockey. Passing under pressure is a part of the game at that level, and it is something he doesn't do well.

At this point to put him even at the same level of an overall player as even Matthews is laughable. Let alone Crosby and McDavid.

One note his Fortnite account has him playing several hours daily. It really shows on the ice. That remark about Vancouver banning Fortnite is biting him in the ass. We'll see tonight when he faces off against them.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 12:17 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
Crosby to me is still the best overall player in the game. McDavid is surely going to pass him, and probably soon. But McDavid still has some things to work on. McDavid, is already a better offensive player in most aspects, but his overall game just needs a tiny jump to be better than Crosby in my opinion.
IMHO, McDavid has passed Crosby, as the best player in the World. McDavid works with an inferior cast of players, and still led the league in points, for the past two seasons. He is the Oilers, and will likely dominate this season as well. That still does not take away Crosby's 10 year run, as the World's best player (2006-16).

Quote:
On to Laine. Laine is one of the worst players on the team this season (offence only). He has obviously spent the entire summer playing fortnite. His hands have regressed. His shot has regressed. He lost some weight so he is a little faster, but it doesn't show, because he is so damn lazy. He is by far the weakest forward on the boards, to the point where he easily gets trapped in his own end if the puck ends up near him, and if he starts with the puck on the boards offensively he will almost assuredly lose it, if any battle is needed.
I would not go that far, but Laine has not impressed this year. He has a long way to go before he is one of the elite players in the NHL.

Quote:
One note his Fortnite account has him playing several hours daily. It really shows on the ice. That remark about Vancouver banning Fortnite is biting him in the ass. We'll see tonight when he faces off against them.
If this is accurate, it should be a serious concern to the Jets organization.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 12:35 AM

Interesting. You would think playing in the NHL would excite you more than logging those fortnite hours...

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 1:31 AM
There is always a way

You guys are high. Laine will score over 40 goals again, easily ranking him as an elite player cause very few people can actually do that. Laine is deceivingly good with his stick handling and his skating. Also has a great pass which is pretty underrated if you ask me.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 1:45 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
Interesting. You would think playing in the NHL would excite you more than logging those fortnite hours...
I've heard video game addiction is a big problem especially with players under 25

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
IMHO, McDavid has passed Crosby, as the best player in the World. McDavid works with an inferior cast of players, and still led the league in points, for the past two seasons. He is the Oilers, and will likely dominate this season as well. That still does not take away Crosby's 10 year run, as the World's best player (2006-16).
You are most likely right. The analysts all seem to agree on McDavid. I honestly don't watch as many Oilers games as I should, but from what I have seen he is definitely an offensive beast. But it all seems to be two dimensional (based on limited viewing). His drive is incomparable. And he is a phenomenal playmaker. Me putting Crosby ahead is most likely due to my lack of watching the Oilers than to it being true.

Quote:
I would not go that far, but Laine has not impressed this year. He has a long way to go before he is one of the elite players in the NHL.
I overreacted a little because of how ridiculous Bluenote sounded. He is not necessarily the worst forward, but he has a lot, a lot, a lot of growing as an all around player to be considered elite. He is elite in one area, and that is his shot. But being completely one dimensional doesn't give you the ability to be considered elite.

Skating = 6-7/10 Very poor (but has gotten a tad bit faster).

Stick handling = 7.5/10 pretty decent (but has regressed this year)

Hockey IQ = 6.5/10 He is not good at anticipating plays away from the puck at all, and is very much a reactionary player as of now.

Shot = 9.5/10 Normally a 10, but his shot has regressed a bit this year in terms of percentage. But the year is young.

His biggest hurdle is his laziness. His game started off well tonight, but regressed again to his standard style both on and off the puck. On the puck he can fight off a defender with limited pressure. But as soon as the puck is off the stick he gives one wave, two strides then he considers him gone and gives up on the play. The stick wave/single stride and curl passed the abandoned puck moves all need to be drilled out of his hockey vocabulary.

Quote:

If this is accurate, it should be a serious concern to the Jets organization.
Played four hours yesterday before the game... And then another hour after the game. A big problem is that if someone invests that much time into a game like that it effects their concentration and psyche. 1) If he goes into a losing streak, it could bring down his mood which will affect him on the ice. 2) If he becomes to addicted he will be thinking of playing Fortnite while on the ice, which will again affect him on the ice.

Vancouver was right in banning Fortnite from the team.

https://fortnitetracker.com/profile/..._Puh29/matches

Everyone else has improved in this past game. I attribute a big part of that to Maurice finally levelling out ice time throughout the four lines, a big part of which is attributed to the switch from Ves to Lemieux. That and Buff being back gives the d-core so much more confidence. Chariot looks like a quality d-man beside buff. Beside Kuli he looks high level AHL calibre.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 2:45 PM

McDavid is the best player in the game, hands down. Edmonton really sucks. But McDavid continues to put up multiple points every game. He's really good.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 1:34 PM

I mentioned this article in the Canada subforum over the weekend, I thought I should mention it here too in case anyone missed it.

The Freep reported that one of the 24/7 Intouch guys owns the Kootenay Ice of the WHL and is looking at possibly moving them to Winnipeg. Since there is no deal with TNSE over a lease at MTS Centre, the idea is that they'd play a season or two at the U of M's Max Bell Centre and then move into their own venue built out around McGillivray.

As I mentioned in the Canada subforum, I think it'll be a tall order for the WHL to compete locally. While the Jets will always dominate as long as they're around, the Moose have their own following and I'm sure that TNSE could easily afford to run at a loss to drive their competitors out of town. Even though junior hockey is a good product, competing against Jets prospects playing at the MTS Centre would be a tough battle. I wonder if the WHL's chances of success wouldn't be better in a smaller community like Steinbach or Selkirk where it would be the biggest game in town, and it would still be close enough for some Winnipeggers to attend.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 1:53 PM

There was talk before the Moose moving here at TNSE looking at the possibility of the WHL. Even so far as including a question of interest in the year end season seat holder surveys.

Find it hard to believe Winnipeg could support so much hockey. Steinbach is an interesting idea but it would be the smallest city in the WHL I believe. Also the talk at the time was Winnipeg is a bit far out east for travel purposes since travel is via bus and its 2+ hours to Brandon which is already 3+ hours away from the next closest team in Regina.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 2:15 PM

^ The WHL rumours were circulating when it looked like the Moose were headed to TBay, but that fell through when TBay's arena plan stalled.

Winnipeg is a very small market to have both the NHL and the AHL. Throwing the WHL into the mix strikes me as pretty tough given that they'd basically be in a dogfight with the Moose for the casual fans and families market, and TNSE would be very tough to compete with.

It's enough to make me wonder if the plan is to get a headstart on the possibility that the Moose could eventually move somewhere else some day?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 6:50 PM

One of the owners of the ice left a high position at TNSE in order to buy the team. I'm sure he's had dialogue with them about the idea. I think TN would support, but it doesn't make sense to have them at Bell MTS Place.

The article stated the Ice had bad attendance this year, under 2500/game – but when it was doing really well: 3500 average. Honestly it's not hard to think they could get 4-5k people on average. It'd be amazing to get a small to mid-size arena here, we're sorely lacking in something like that from an event/concert perspective.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 8:10 PM

I think there's room in the market for a W team. I'd go to some games personally. I don't really go to Moose games, at all.

It would be awesome if there was another sportsplex built with a larger 3-5k seat arena. There's for sure room in the local market for another 4-plex. IMO the City should get out completely of the hockey rink game. Close or sell all the old rinks as newer plex type places come online. The city rinks are in terrible condition. Note there is separation between being city owned and community centre owned. The community rinks, such as Gateway, are usually in much better shape.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 8:24 PM

^ I agree that Winnipeg could use a secondary 5,000ish seat arena, but a quality one like Mosaic Place, that can be used for concerts and other events too. But that's a tall order... spend a lot of money to build a rink like that, and then get into a marketing war with TNSE. Moose tickets are a bit on the pricy side for the AHL, but that does give TN a lot of flexibility... what does the WHL team do once TNSE starts flooding the market with freebies and discounts? They can afford to get into a fight like that since the Moose are not really at the heart of their operations anyway. Although I guess if the WHL team's owners have a working relationship with TN, that scenario becomes less of an issue.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 8:49 PM

^ Yes, all great points Esquire.

Me ignoring all business factors would love for it to happen haha

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 2:49 AM

If you haven't heard, the Jets vs. Leafs game here tomorrow is being broadcast not only nationally on SportsNet, but nationally in the US on NBCSN as well. It's the first time EVER NBC has shown an all-Canadian game.

Sportsnet and NBC were both setting up outdoor broadcast booths tonight in the TNS plaza, and Randy Bachman is performing along with others.

Should be a dandy.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 3:57 PM

Even better, I hear that Laine will stay up with Scheifle and Wheeler, Connor with Little and Ehlers. Ehlers needs to get his ass in gear.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan