HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 6:21 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It is scary landing in fog, though. I don't remember which airport I was at, but assume they must've had this system. We were descending but, because it was so foggy, I couldn't really tell - I just knew we were because they said so.

And I was staring out the window because I'm used to the clouds/fog fading while you're still relatively high up and can at least see somewhat far.

And then, all of a sudden, out of nowhere, runway. I saw it no more than a few seconds before the plane touched down. Fright of my life. I thought for sure any minute I'd be able to make out buildings below.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 6:28 PM

Yeah, last time I flew in the pilot said we would be landing in 15 minutes so I was anxiously awaiting the city lights.. About a half hour later we were still in the air I was getting a little bit nervous because I still had not seen a single thing and we were supposed to have landed 15 minutes ago!

Next thing I knew, I saw a faint blue light, felt a slight bump and we were down. It wasn't an enjoyable landing though!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Oh my.. Lets hope they get this figured out soon because we desperately need that tech!
I second that!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2012, 10:08 PM

Noticed a few road upgrades driving around today.

First off, it looks like their upgrading the Kenmount Rd/TGH overpass; there are some new ramps under construction. Maybe their redesigning that overpass?

It also looks like the City is upgrading the Old Topsail/Topsail/Cornwall and Hamilton/LeMarchant intersections. I thought at first they where replacing these intersections with roundabouts (which didn't make a lot of sense), but now I think the medians are just being replaced.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 1:43 PM

I guess roundabouts are a thing of reality now for St.John's. Snapped a pic of this new one at the new Field Power Centre property. This is the White Rose Drive continuation.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...23211118_n.jpg

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
I guess roundabouts are a thing of reality now for St.John's. Snapped a pic of this new one at the new Field Power Centre property. This is the White Rose Drive continuation.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...23211118_n.jpg
Nice! Glad to finally see these becoming more common in St. John's.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConundrumNL View Post

First off, it looks like their upgrading the Kenmount Rd/TGH overpass; there are some new ramps under construction. Maybe their redesigning that overpass?

It also looks like the City is upgrading the Old Topsail/Topsail/Cornwall and Hamilton/LeMarchant intersections. I thought at first they where replacing these intersections with roundabouts (which didn't make a lot of sense), but now I think the medians are just being replaced.
They are adding a new off-ramp because the road is being extended and there will now be traffic coming northbound on that road that will have to exit onto Kenmount.

The upgrades on Topsail road are part of a traffic calming project. There will be narrowed sections of the road and a small roundabout that will force people to slow down. You will soon start seeing this in more places in the city where speed is a problem.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 4:02 PM

Here's a couple of pics I took of the CBS bypass extension.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 4:18 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Great pics!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 7:09 PM

The new airport is progressing well. It's now paved and it looked like most if not all of the street lights are up. They look cool for street lights; they're jet black!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
The new airport is progressing well. It's now paved and it looked like most if not all of the street lights are up. They look cool for street lights; they're jet black!
oh cool! could someone get some pics in that area?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 7:57 PM

I live pretty close, I will soon. I just didn't feel like getting out next to the guy holding the stopover sign to take pictures

On an off topic note, the condos in airport heights are progressing well. They are on the second story now. I'll get pictures of them too

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConundrumNL View Post

I noticed that they've built a bypass on Old Pennywell road to allow construction of the underpass. Hopefully they'll get started on some of the Over/under passes soon. The Blackmarsh road underpass is a big undertaking and the Topsail Road overpass is a major piece of work. Given how long it took to do the TG-Kenmount road overpass, they'll need to get started real-soon to meet a 2014 completion date.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 10:44 PM

Sad day for the idea of a regional transportation authority anytime soon.

From vocm.com:

"The Northeast Avalon Joint Council has soundly rejected a suggestion put forward by St. John's Mayor Dennis O'Keefe for the formation of a Regional Transport Authority to deal with maintenance and development of roads throughout the region. The joint council says it feels that establishing such a regional authority would provide the provincial government an opportunity to transfer responsiblity for regional roads and highways to the committee, and download the costs on individual municipalities. Chair Sterling Willis says it's a "no go."

Good try Mayor O'Keefe. Looks like the fear of change and progression is taking over again.

I hate the mentality of all these separate municipalities not wanting to contribute to the region but only to their postage stamp sized towns. They seem afraid to take on the extra costs to provide better services to their citizens for the sake of wanting to compete and say they are better than St. John's. Meanwhile, the entire region has to rely on services in St. John's or these towns would not even exist. I would like to know who is involved with this joint council.

Anyways, that is my rant for now.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 10:51 PM

I know it pisses me off too

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 10:59 PM

ok so here it goes... here is the transit system I came up with ..

I havent added mount pearl yet or the Goulds.. I think the goulds could use the same routes as it does now, but it may need a more creative solution.

anyways here goes nothing

explanation:

The system is a feeder/hub/express system.

This is inspired by how subway systems work in unisen with buses.
Buses gather people to subwaystations which then take people to points of interest rapidly.

The basics of the system is that there are hubs which have bus terminals and desired destinations with many people.
then the hubs are connected by express routes which go non stop between the major points of interests.
gathering people from the streets to the hubs are feeder routes which are the winding routes we are more use to, however they are short and the buses run both ways on them.
This makes the winding trips no longer than 15 minutes (the route could take 30 minutes to complete the loop to the hub however the max is 15 minutes either way.

The timing is what makes this efficient. if it takes you 10 minutes on the feeder then you arrive at the hub (all routes will be times to arrive when the express routes will depart)
then you get an express to the hub desired. this will take about 20 minutes give or take.
Then if you desire to venture further from the destination hub by taking one of it's feeders, it will only take a max of 15 minutes more.

what makes this efficient is the combination of feeder routes bringing people to and from the hubs and express routes rushing people between hubs.

reducing transfers

To reduce the amount of transfers, some of the buses could continue whilst changing route. for example take the D1 bus to hub D then that bus will become the bus which goes on the express route to hub C from there.
When it gets to hub C it continues as a C1 route bus. Of course an announcement will be made when they change route, and this will be a consistent practice for paired up routes.
Most people will most likely get off at a hub however this gives the opportunity to reduce the amount of transfers on a journey.
In theory a person could take a bus from kenmount terrace to the Avalon mall which then goes directly to the Village mall and continues on to the west end to for example Bowring park in about 30-35 minutes.
This is a dramatic increase in efficiency compared to the current system.

Expanding the system

This style of system allows easy additions. for example mount pearl could add a Hub or two and a few short feeder routes which serve the needs of the community then connect them with the existing system via express routes.
Assuming not all communities come on line in the region right away, in order to reduce the amount of traffic,
park and ride can be established at the hubs which will have express routes and no worries of parking to the areas of interest such as downtown.
Places such as CBS can eventually connect their hub(s) via express routes using the highway (very fast access to downtown).

Another upgrade to infrastructure I would suggest eventually happen is that the main through fares such as colombus drive add a bus/carpool lane. This will give transit an added advantage over
cars and make it more desirable while allowing a more efficient system during peek hours. As well, emergency vehicules can use these lanes to bypass most traffic.

here is a simplified map .. so you can see how there are feeders and express routes connecting.

to explain the route numbering

The Hubs are lettered A,B,C,D,E,F and their feeder routes are their letter plus a number ex. B2

The express routes are lettered with Z and are grey

Black routes are for when more than 2 routes take the same road (to reduce the number of lines)

Here is the system map:

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 11:03 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Bravo!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 11:07 PM

Wow, great job Jeddy! I definitely can't fake the credit for this one!

There's a branch of mathematics called graph theory. Some of the concepts in graph theory can be applied in this situation - as the transit system can be considered a weighted graph with main terminals represented as nodes and the roadways as edges, as represented by your first figure. There are ways to optimize traversing between nodes using optimization algorithms (Dijkstra's and Floyd's methods come to mind, as well as depth- and breadth-first searches). I'm not sure how interested you are in that area but I thought I'd throw it out there for you.

As well, I also like the concept of bus lanes. I lived in Ottawa for a couple of years and many main roadways had bus lanes (and entire bus highways, for that matter). I found these lanes to be extremely efficient and made taking the bus much more worthwhile and enjoyable. I think this is a must for such a system to work, and by doubling it as an emergency lane makes it more feasible. The fact of the matter is you can have a great system on paper, but if it's inefficient no one will use it.

Again, great job!

Last edited by statbass; Dec 14, 2012 at 11:34 PM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 11:09 PM

thanks I put quite a bit of thought into it and it's not that much of a bigger system, just redistributed in different style of routes

the little house icons are for points of interest such as hospitals and CNA etc

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 11:12 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Send it to the City, Metrobus, post it to your campaign page, whatever. Definitely, at least, share it with Happy City!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's