HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Anybody know if, where, when the open house information will be available online? There's nothing on the Province website.
This is typical... I don't get why in this day and age MIT's standard practice is to make everything available at an open house that runs for a few hours instead of just putting it up online where everyone can access it easily.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
This is typical... I don't get why in this day and age MIT's standard practice is to make everything available at an open house that runs for a few hours instead of just putting it up online where everyone can access it easily.
And they only gave the notice for the sessions on the Friday for sessions on the upcoming Monday and Tuesday - 3 and 4 days notice isn't a lot.

It also clearly failed to catch any attention, since it was only global news that reported on it, on the 28th.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 4:24 PM

For such a large program, it's surprising this wasn't more widely available.

The City has been doing an excellent job of getting the notice out well ahead of time and posting everything online in advance.

I've reached out to the contact person.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 5:11 PM
What could go wrong?

The less people who show up, the less possible opposition.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
For such a large program, it's surprising this wasn't more widely available.

The City has been doing an excellent job of getting the notice out well ahead of time and posting everything online in advance.

I've reached out to the contact person.
Makes one think how the perimeter would be different if this was a city project and not provincial

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The less people who show up, the less possible opposition.
Should start calling us China instead of Manitoba...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Makes one think how the perimeter would be different if this was a city project and not provincial
Province has more money, in theory. Maybe not though.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 6:26 PM

^ It's not like the city is great at building highways either. But at least they'd put up a nice webpage about it.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 6:27 PM

Information for the open house will be posted online tomorrow at the link from the earlier posts.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 7:05 PM
BANNED

What a joke as usual. All those roads were supposed to be removed 25 years ago. They took out maybe 5. It would take a weeek for one crew and an excavator to remove them all. But here it will take a few years of consultations and then they will make out like it’s a major project costing millions and that’s all the money that dipshits have. But wait. In 2033 we will again look at upgrading the south perimeter to free way standards. By then it will be like rush hour 24/7.

This government is useless

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 7:06 PM

Removing median openings and even building the associated access roads is low hanging fruit. Super easy and cheap.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 11:20 PM

I couldn’t be happier with 59/101 and reduced dangerous access at Pritchard Farm Road and Raleigh. Missed the boat on 59/202 and 59/213 in terms of controlled access however.

I disagree with the need for access every 2 km on 100 & 101. I think 2 miles, i.e. 3 km is more appropriate. There needs to be adequate space for merging. The spacing between 204 and 59 as well as 8 & 9 works well. Highways 9 and 204 are tight.

I agree with closing everything except 100/3, route 90/330/100, St. Mary’s / 100. St. Anne’s is too close to 59/100. With proper service roads, limited access can be 3-4 km apart, permitting a drive of 1.5-2 km. Seems reasonable.

BTW, I would close Pipeline & Gunn Roads RIRO, and grade separate 6/101 and 15/101.

That’s it, you’re done. God forbid people drive 2 km to get access. It works well in East St. Paul, and is a huge safety gain.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWG-RO View Post
BTW, I would close Pipeline & Gunn Roads RIRO, and grade separate 6/101 and 15/101.
With your general concept you gloss over a few key details.

1. Pipeline is over your 4 KM mark to HWY 7.
2. Gunn Rd has not within 4 KM of any existing crossing.
3. Grade separating 15/101 is a complex issue as 15 is long over due for twinning but likely no in its currently.
4. The 6/101 full interchange is part of the larger CentrePort project and requires the south extension route to be 100% set first so the north/south alignment through the interchange is correct. Also pretty sure HWY 6 is within your 4 KM buffer zone of Rosser Rd (formely Inkster).

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 9:12 PM

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 9:25 PM

^ Thanks for posting that. So basically the Province has a plan to do what Biff mentioned many months back... starting with getting a handle on all the uncontrolled access points along the Perimeter. That sounds like a great idea to me.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Thanks for posting that. So basically the Province has a plan to do what Biff mentioned many months back... starting with getting a handle on all the uncontrolled access points along the Perimeter. That sounds like a great idea to me.
Yea it looks great! Gonna be some complainers but this is for the greater good of all users on perimeter. I'm surprised the only major changes are improvements at mcgillivray. I would have thought MIT would have at least built out the service road from brady to 330, but instead is funelling that traffic around the dump on gravel roads to waverley

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
With your general concept you gloss over a few key details.

1. Pipeline is over your 4 KM mark to HWY 7.
2. Gunn Rd has not within 4 KM of any existing crossing.
3. Grade separating 15/101 is a complex issue as 15 is long over due for twinning but likely no in its currently.
4. The 6/101 full interchange is part of the larger CentrePort project and requires the south extension route to be 100% set first so the north/south alignment through the interchange is correct. Also pretty sure HWY 6 is within your 4 KM buffer zone of Rosser Rd (formely Inkster).
1. Yes, but it is about 3 km from McPhillips. Fair point that this is a significant distance. RIRO gives some access. Do the 150 locals really need to cross 101?

2. It’s about 3 km from 15. Better having RIRO than a signal IMO.

3. Tracks and 15 / 101 is compkex.

4. 6 / 101 is a major interchange. For me, 101 seems reasonably spaced.

I guess I see it this way: the perfect is the enemy of the good. Our population density doesn’t justify controlled interchanges every 2 km. Let’s create a free flowing safe highway that is realistic within the next 10 years.

Not trying to gloss over anything. Just a realist.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 10:46 PM

The recommendations on 100 look great. Well done MIT. Looks much safer.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 11:30 PM

Smile

Manitoba Infrastructure will hold additional open houses to identify the long-term vision for the Perimeter Highway in the summer of 2018

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 2:05 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

That plan looks good. All for removing those access points.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 2:15 AM

On the east side, theses changes alone make the perimeter free flow from fermer (just north) to st. Anne's .

In the west, these changes make the perimeter free flow from portage (maybe even north of centreport) to mcgillvray.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan