HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
How many of the top floors are just "fake" and only are mechanical?
Good question. I looked up diagrams and here is one - looks like the top has been slightly altered but it shows the separation between highest living floor and mechanical space. Whether or not the three balconies on the south, north and west sides are also just fronting mechanical space or will be accessible in any way via the penthouse isn't clear to me. The diagram calls that the "(67th) floor."

I feel like they would have put at least a person or two on those balconies and interior lighting in the website renderings if it were being marked as useable space. I bet the whole top is mechanical and the east facing landing with the glass door shelter is the highest unit.

chicagoarchitecture.org

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 8:54 PM

Based on the opaque windows, the top three "floors", including the area with the monumental windows and small cantilevered balconies is definitely all mechanical space. The north half of the floor below is definitely mechanical space too. What is not apparent is the south half of that same floor, which from the east side, it looks like this belongs to some sort of grand two story living space incorporating that two story glass bay on the highest east facing balcony. So the north and south balconies might be accessible to that same unit, or may simply be roofs.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 10:41 PM

Are those even windows at the top above balconies?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 3:12 AM

Man... that bums me out a little. Those balconies are so cool and would have had some amazing views and aesthetics for some lucky rich boi

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 9:45 PM
1st Ward

Interesting, those elevations list the total height at 843', as opposed to 836' according to the thread title. Was there a height change, or is the elevation not listing the official height (facade with lowest entry way vs CCD)?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 10:01 PM

Oct 22

(with just a touch of IBM on the side)

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 10:54 AM

Great shot!

The design of this building makes so much more sense to me now. They can light the top in 1930's Art Deco style like the office towers of that era because no one lives there and the lights at night won't disturbe any occupants. Clever.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 12:51 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
Great shot!

The design of this building makes so much more sense to me now. They can light the top in 1930's Art Deco style like the office towers of that era because no one lives there and the lights at night won't disturbe any occupants. Clever.
Shit, I hadn't thought about that before, but you are right. Definitely a major redeeming quality

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 4:22 PM

The crown definitely bumps the tower up a few points. Now let's hope the lighting can set it apart!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 10:47 PM

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 3:41 AM

Crane coming down very soon I'd imagine?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2018, 10:41 PM

Today

Old Posted Oct 27, 2018, 10:46 PM
DENNAB

I like this building, very New York-ish.

I guess we should update the title to 843' given the above diagram?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2018, 10:49 PM
The City

Agree, very much a slice of NYC in Chicago

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 12:35 AM
Chicago

October 24, 2018

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I like this building, very New York-ish.

I guess we should update the title to 843' given the above diagram?
I'd say so

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 1:40 PM

Which has a worse location: Vista or One Bennet?

I think they are both pretty poor locations for actual living... surrounded by huge traffic arteries and all, but at least both have a park next to them.

Thoughts?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
Which has a worse location: Vista or One Bennet?

I think they are both pretty poor locations for actual living... surrounded by huge traffic arteries and all, but at least both have a park next to them.

Thoughts?
Definitely Vista. I'm not a fan of Streeterville, but it has improved and there's things within walk. Lakeshore East is essentially a dead zone. You couldn't pay me to live there.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 3:00 PM

Eh, if you are going to deal with a total lack of nightlife or walkable amenities, LSE is the way to go. At least at Vista you are basically embedded in parks between LSE Park, the riverwalk, Millennium and Grant Park, etc. You are also not living literally on the doorstep of Navy Pier either.

As non-traditional of a neighborhood as LSE is, it's also go it's own thing going on and is really maturing into something interesting. Maybe not your slice of pie if you are looking to be inundated with storefronts full of bars, restaurants, and all that hustle and bustle, but if you are trying to enjoy downtown while still raising a family or something, you couldn't ask for a better place. It's pretty much a suburban subdivision in the sky for better or for worse.

I have a couple of friends who live there and honestly it's really nice to walk right out your door into a park. One friend's commute to work all summer was to walk through Maggie Daley Park, over the bridge, through the Lurie garden and then down Madison to his office. His wife walks under Wacker and then down the Riverwalk to her office which is like right there. With Vista complete the only unpleasantness involved in either of their days, passing under Wacker, will be rectified. It's kinda a bubble, but I'd rather be living in a bubble than next to Navy Pier.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 3:15 PM
The City

LSE rocks. And I disagree that it’s not walkable. Is it the center of action? No.

But you can walk to lots of stuff from there very easily. And it has a grocer, pharmacy, 2 bars/restaurants, a coffee shop, Subway, Pedway access, day care. You wouldn’t need a car in LSE at all. I would live there in a heartbeat. If I were 25 and single, maybe not.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive