HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
Weird that Artis put up brand new signage with their name on it in the past year and then took them down for the TD logo. Why can't they both be up there? There's so many sides to the building.
$$$

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Weird that Artis put up brand new signage with their name on it in the past year and then took them down for the TD logo. Why can't they both be up there? There's so many sides to the building.
One logo is more than enough... you start putting more up there and it begins to look like a suburban strip mall.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Every Bank has their logo on major properties. Considering theirs was no longer on 201 Portage, you wouldn't be surprised they pushed for it.

As for Artis' Logo, while they do enhance their local presence, they don't actually sign leases and make money with their own logo. Nobody is going to turn down a high profile logo for a tenant like that.

Unfortunmately, the A looks better than the TD. Which hopefully ghets centered
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
One logo is more than enough... you start putting more up there and it begins to look like a suburban strip mall.
And this

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 10:06 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Companies pay a lot to have the exclusive rights to have their name at the top of the buildings. I'm guessing but, TD paying upwards of a million per year to hang their logos seems reasonable compared to the prices I've heard in other cities. They don't want to share the space with other tenants. It's virtually all profit to the building's revenues. Nothing weird about it.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Companies pay a lot to have the exclusive rights to have their name at the top of the buildings. I'm guessing but, TD paying upwards of a million per year to hang their logos seems reasonable compared to the prices I've heard in other cities. They don't want to share the space with other tenants. It's virtually all profit to the building's revenues. Nothing weird about it.
True that, but I was just surprised since the Artis signage was pretty much brand new.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 1:02 AM
Starring as himself

Does TD actually have any offices in the building or are they just using it as a billboard?

It's also a prestige thing for the building to be associated with a well-known quality tenant like TD.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 1:06 AM

They're taking over a wing of Winnipeg Square. Center the sign FFS!

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownBooster View Post
At one time there were no windows on the very top floors anyway. For anyone with an office seat where the TD sign is, at least it will provide shade from the afternoon sun.
The entire top section is a windowless mechanical/storage floor.

No tenants or office workers affected.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 1:36 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
True that, but I was just surprised since the Artis signage was pretty much brand new.
The sign's relative costs were pennies. Not only that, it's probably going in storage (LOL...to never be used again.)

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 1:57 PM

does that building have an official name, was/is it still called the Artis building?

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
does that building have an official name, was/is it still called the Artis building?
Just 360 Main AFAIK.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 2:13 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
It was officially the Commodity Exchange tower until 2010. It's been 360 Main since then.

Unofficially it'll always be the Trizec building. The more you rebrand something, the more people people ignore the rebranding and go by the original popular name or most logical name. The MTS Center, now the BellMTS Center, will drop the MTS branding once Bell drops it in the rest of the company. Which will only increase the popularity of Winnipeg Arena.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Strong View Post
It was officially the Commodity Exchange tower until 2010. It's been 360 Main since then.

Unofficially it'll always be the Trizec building. The more you rebrand something, the more people people ignore the rebranding and go by the original popular name or most logical name. The MTS Center, now the BellMTS Center, will drop the MTS branding once Bell drops it in the rest of the company. Which will only increase the popularity of Winnipeg Arena.
I don't recall anyone ever referring to it as the Commodity Exchange Tower, even by people who work in there. I don't think that name ever caught on at all. Trizec, 360 Main, Winnipeg Square, Artis... heard all those but I'm pretty sure I'm the only person I've ever heard actually mentioning the Commodity Exchange Tower.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 2:38 PM

Quote:
I don't recall anyone ever referring to it as the Commodity Exchange Tower, even by people who work in there.
I don't recall it either. But apparently that was the official name.

I've always known it as the Trizec Building. But 360 Main, wonderfully free of "this year's branding," makes sense.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 2:44 PM

^ Being a skyscraper nerd I always called it the Commodity Exchange Tower myself. But I'm fairly sure I don't recall hearing another human ever utter that name.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Strong View Post

Its now BellMTS Place and I've never heard anyone calling it Winnipeg Arena. Is that a thing? Like literally you're the first person I've ever heard BellMTS Place / MTS Centre as Winnipeg Arena.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Its now BellMTS Place and I've never heard anyone calling it Winnipeg Arena. Is that a thing? Like literally you're the first person I've ever heard BellMTS Place / MTS Centre as Winnipeg Arena.
Maybe not "Winnipeg Arena" but I definitely hear "the arena"... when you say that people know what you're talking about.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 3:03 PM

Still MTS Center to most people I know.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Maybe not "Winnipeg Arena" but I definitely hear "the arena"... when you say that people know what you're talking about.
Folks in Winnipeg won't add the city name because they're in Winnipeg. But if you're in Steinbach, Dauphin, etc. You'd go with "Winnipeg Arena" to differentiate it from the one in your home town.

If the average Winnipegger needed to name an arena outside of Winnipeg - including other NHL arenas - they'd go with [City] Arena. They wouldn't bother doing a Google search to find out this year's branding.

The more times they change the name, the more it'll be called [City] Arena within the city itself.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 4:13 PM

My experience is MB Hydro people call Hydro Place "360 Portage Ave". I think it went by that name during the construction/transition planning stages. It definitely was known to people in Winnipeg under that name before Trizec tried to rebrand itself. That 360 Main and Hydro Place (360 Portage) have very similar names I have an aversion to the 360 Main to try and limit confusion between the two buildings.

In terms of MTS Centre, I have occasionally heard people refer to is as "the barn" which of course was a very common local nick name for Winnipeg Arena.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan