HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 10:48 PM
Aviary Masticator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Well this is exciting: "Simply Irie Caribbean Cuisine" is going into the old Chocolate Bar/Shawarma Cairo/Porto space in the Nimmons Block on the SW corner of 17th Ave and 14 St SW which just happens to be a block from Chez Van Reddick. The only things that would have made me happier are either a really good coffee place or a Malaysian or Indonesian place. There is no Caribbean in the SW period much less in my neighbourhood. Fingers crossed and I'm sure so are those of my Trinidadian hubby
Yeah, Malaysian cuisine is in the NE. Banana Leaf is where its' at nowadays.

Exciting times!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 11:03 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Il Caffe opening day was today and it was indeed open. M-F 6-6 Sat 9-5. Very lux setup, Strada espresso machine and several Simonelli volumetric grinders, like what they have at P&S Mission. I got an espresso made with Rosso two wheel espresso beans and it was excellent. I also got a 250mg bag of beans which is from Rosso but branded Il Caffe with a little Rosso logo on the bottom.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 5:48 PM
Aviary Masticator

Just finished my friend's pop-up shop, Monogram. Big plans are ahead from what Ben told me. Very excited for them!

Also visited Rosso and it'll be a big hit once The Guardian opens up.

Personally, their pastries were limited and nothing to brag about but I got a delicious cup of cappuccino

Trying out Transcend's Genesis blend and it's quite tasty.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 7:48 PM

unicorn to be trashed?

Last edited by linx; Nov 26, 2014 at 8:28 PM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 8:31 PM
Aviary Masticator

Quote:
Originally Posted by linx View Post
unicorn to be trashed?
I wonder if Simons moving beside them is driving them out.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 9:50 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
I wonder if Simons moving beside them is driving them out.
Of COURSE that's what's happening.

I had lunch today at Tamarind, which is a Vietnamese place on 10th St SW between 6 and 7 Ave and it recently went 100% vegan. First, REALLY friendly service- owner goes table to table to ask how everything was. I got the salad rolls which were fantastic- they use mint and not just lettuce and they are beautifully done and the textures are perfect. The dipping sauce which is based on vegetarian fish sauce is too salty but otherwise this is one of the best orders of fresh rolls I've ever had in a Viet resto, vegan or non. My main was a bowl of rice vermicelli with veggie spring rolls, tofu skin and this mock beef. I didn't care for it; I've had better veggie spring rolls elsewhere, the mock beef was not convincing and the noodles were too hot (rice vermicelli should be cold or at most at room temp) and more of that salty nonfish sauce. But the soups people were eating looked massive and they seemed to enjoy them.

One thing I really am not sure I like is that they use brown rice- I hate brown rice so I'll probably avoid the rice dishes but I'd love to try the laksa. Yes they sell a vegan laksa.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 7:13 PM
Aviary Masticator

Went to The Nash last night with some friends and the lamb was cooked beautifully.

It was succulent to say the least. For me, I only order food I can't normally cook and lamb is my Everest. Too gamey to work with so I let someone else do it.

Loved it.

Diner pie to finish things off too.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 5:33 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

New Jamaican place in former Chocolate Bar space opening today! Prices are fairly steep but not ridiculous. 1997 website design warning: http://www.simplyirieyyc.com/

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 5:36 PM
Aviary Masticator

Quote:
New Jamaican place in former Chocolate Bar space opening today! Prices are fairly steep but not ridiculous. 1997 website design warning: http://www.simplyirieyyc.com/
Geocities galore.

Thai place near Gaga is now open. At least, I saw a banner saying that on my way to work this morning.

In actual coffee news, Monogram is now a brick and mortar shop in Altadore!

Coffee help:

I have a Moka pot and an Encore grinder. I've been getting decent results lightly packing the grounds vs. tightly packing and adding more grounds. Does compression make a big difference or am I just being kooky?

Also, I think downing a pot by myself has messed up my tolerance.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 5:47 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
Geocities galore.

Thai place near Gaga is now open. At least, I saw a banner saying that on my way to work this morning.

In actual coffee news, Monogram is now a brick and mortar shop in Altadore!

Coffee help:

I have a Moka pot and an Encore grinder. I've been getting decent results lightly packing the grounds vs. tightly packing and adding more grounds. Does compression make a big difference or am I just being kooky?

Also, I think downing a pot by myself has messed up my tolerance.
Altadore?? Can you say where? I think everybody expected they'd end up in Inglewood. The House lost its lease which means we'll be back to zero good coffeehouses in Kensington in two weeks. Higher Ground serves horrible coffee with untrained staff, Vendome uses overroasted Paradise and isn't primarily a coffee house, and Roasterie stores its burnt beans in open bins lik Gloria Jean's did in 1985. So I wish they could have got space in Kensington- I wish somebody would open something really good there, it's the sort of neighbourhood where you expect to find a ton of great coffee places when there are actually precisely zero.

As to your moka pot issue- I haven't used one since college, honestly, but as I recall you just pack with finger pressure. It's not espresso.

aaaaand I just found Monogram's location on their twitter: 4814 16 St SW.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 5:54 PM
Aviary Masticator

Quote:
Altadore?? Can you say where? I think everybody expected they'd end up in Inglewood. The House lost its lease which means we'll be back to zero good coffeehouses in Kensington in two weeks. Higher Ground serves horrible coffee with untrained staff, Vendome uses overroasted Paradise and isn't primarily a coffee house, and Roasterie stores its burnt beans in open bins lik Gloria Jean's did in 1985. So I wish they could have got space in Kensington- I wish somebody would open something really good there, it's the sort of neighbourhood where you expect to find a ton of great coffee places when there are actually precisely zero.

As to your moka pot issue- I haven't used one since college, honestly, but as I recall you just pack with finger pressure. It's not espresso.

Address is on the ball. Don't have much exposure to the Kensington coffee scene other than Vendome and I just get brunch there. Kensington will most likely have a decent shop once those new condo complexes start opening up.

Eau Claire has Cafe Blanca(?) Sounds promising from what I've heard.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 6:03 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Ugh. What a crappy building and location to be in.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 6:07 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
Ugh. What a crappy building and location to be in.
I disagree on both points. I like the vintage strip mall and it's not a bad location at all- it's just south of Marda Loop and can be something that Calgary does not have aside from say Francesco's in Killarney (which is excellent): a neighbourhood coffeehouse.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 6:23 PM
Aviary Masticator

Quote:
I disagree on both points. I like the vintage strip mall and it's not a bad location at all- it's just south of Marda Loop and can be something that Calgary does not have aside from say Francesco's in Killarney (which is excellent): a neighbourhood coffeehouse.
I'm banking they're planning to make that vintage strip mall into, and I'm saying this as a compliment and not as an insult, a 'hipster' complex with a coffee shop, record shop, maybe a vintage store and some attraction to draw people in.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 6:40 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Fair points, but if they want to expand beyond being a local coffeehouse, they need to create a brand identity- and they need to do so by locating in a place that at least people from other areas of the city will visit (Marda Loop, Kensington, 17th). Otherwise, they will be starting from scratch to build customer loyalty each and every time they open a new shop.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 6:44 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
Fair points, but if they want to expand beyond being a local coffeehouse, they need to create a brand identity- and they need to do so by locating in a place that at least people from other areas of the city will visit (Marda Loop, Kensington, 17th). Otherwise, they will be starting from scratch to build customer loyalty each and every time they open a new shop.
You'd be amazed at what giants these guys are already. Ben Put is an international coffee celebrity, or as close as one gets.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 6:45 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up! I'll have to go for a Curry Goat Roti in the near future.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 7:23 PM
BANNED

Was at Nash in Inglewood on sat, just for drinks. Beautiful space! There are also a couple other retail bays including a clothing store in the building. I believe the building was previously pretty run down, they've done a great job restoring. Will try the food next time, Noble's behind this.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 8:18 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riise View Post
Thanks for the heads up! I'll have to go for a Curry Goat Roti in the near future.
Spoke too soon- thought their FB page said today was opening. Not open yet. Follow them on fb to find out.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 9:02 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Was at Nash in Inglewood on sat, just for drinks. Beautiful space! There are also a couple other retail bays including a clothing store in the building. I believe the building was previously pretty run down, they've done a great job restoring. Will try the food next time, Noble's behind this.

http://www.bigdoer.com/18849/then-an...ational-hotel/

vs

(Jimby photo)

vs

http://www.bigdoer.com/18849/then-an...ational-hotel/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation