HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 5:49 PM

Some beams of the latest 14 beams were installed in the north-east!!

Update: now north-est and south-west!

Last edited by mat97; Aug 20, 2012 at 6:58 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
So this right here is the antenna? Doesn't look half bad.

No its the same antenna everyone thinks is crap

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=25870
^Notice the top of the antenna fans or spears out (whatever you want to call it) .. that "fan out shape" is a result of what you are seeing on the truck

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 6:32 PM

Quote:
"What was designed was impractical, unworkable, and quite frankly dangerous."
It's hard to imagine why this obvious lie has not been called out in the media and provoked a discussion. We are asked to believe two things: First, That SOM, which has designed buildings all over the world, made a spire (at arguably the most important architectural site in the world) that was dangerous, and, second, that this charge of "dangerous" has nothing to do with the fact that Durst, by discarding the radome, saves a bunch of bucks.

This really amounts to a slander against Childs.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 6:41 PM

IOW, Durst chose to disguise his true motive -- saving money -- by slandering Childs and SOM, charging that they had made a dangerous structure. This is really contemptible. Had he any integrity, he could have just said, "I'm replacing the artistic spire with a cheap toothpick because I care only about making as much money as possible and I don't give a damn about anything else." At least such a statement would have had the virtue of honesty, without slandering SOM and Childs.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ditnow View Post
IOW, Durst chose to disguise his true motive -- saving money -- by slandering Childs and SOM, charging that they had made a dangerous structure. This is really contemptible. Had he any integrity, he could have just said, "I'm replacing the artistic spire with a cheap toothpick because I care only about making as much money as possible and I don't give a damn about anything else." At least such a statement would have had the virtue of honesty, without slandering SOM and Childs.

It's actually worse than that, because he's not replacing anything- just removing the radome, and like a slap in the face, leaving all the support structures for the radome which now serve absolutely no purpose except to make the antenna even uglier than a normal antenna such as the ones on the Sears Tower or the original WTC-1.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 7:06 PM

I still have hope that they can add the radome.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 7:32 PM

The antenna doesn't really look half bad based on the picture. But maybe it;s not better than having the enclosure.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 7:35 PM

Full update from this weekend:

One World Trade Center August 2012 Update

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
The antenna doesn't really look half bad based on the picture. But maybe it;s not better than having the enclosure.
I agree it doesn't look that bad but it's not the best. Cause really in a project that's costed billions, 20 million isn't that much.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 8:03 PM

This whole Durst/antenna thing is amazingly disgusting to even think about.

As I understand it, this change will save $20 million. So the PA will get $5 million of that savings, Durst gets the other $15 million for helping the PA save money.

So for that $5 million saved for the PA, I will, for possibly the rest of my life, have to live with looking at a sub-par design on the most visible thing in the city. It is something I CAN SEE FROM MY BED and wake up to. Millions of people see it on a daily basis.

Fuck you Durst.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 8:04 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC GUY View Post
I agree it doesn't look that bad but it's not the best. Cause really in a project that's costed billions, 20 million isn't that much.
+1

The new antenna looks kind of cool in those last pics, better than nothing at least but it still falls short.

Doesn't the building kind of have to be 1776 feet though? since that's what we've been promised and told for the past decade, they have to figure out something in order to reach the 1776 foot height

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 8:13 PM

with or without the radome , the building is perfect.
Im more upset that in 3 weeks its 12 years and
we still have how many more months constuction?
the onewtc is perfect.
the memorial is perfect , lets just finish it.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven=11 View Post
with or without the radome , the building is perfect.
Im more upset that in 3 weeks its 12 years and
we still have how many more months constuction?
the onewtc is perfect.
the memorial is perfect , lets just finish it.
Actually 11 years.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 8:40 PM

I agree with many of you here. the pictures really do not show this building's beauty or the skylines until youv'e seen it in person. this year (Febuary little while back now) was the first time i ever visited New York and it blew me away and when i went to the memorial the power and the peacefulness there was incredible. and then i went on the staten island ferry and saw the skyline and it was one of the most beautiful things i have ever seen and i will never forgot looking out of the back of that ferry.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 9:06 PM

Guys,calm down.It's not going to look like the picture from Canada,except for the top portion.The rest is going to look thin with ugly rings every 50' or so.

Ses7
Flickr.com

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wtcspiresavor View Post
No its the same antenna everyone thinks is crap

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=25870
^Notice the top of the antenna fans or spears out (whatever you want to call it) .. that "fan out shape" is a result of what you are seeing on the truck
That antenna doesn't look nearly as bad now that we can clearly see it's not pencil thin. I believe the mass hysteria coming from the loss of the randome was that the antenna would be an eye-sore but honestly, it's not too shabby. Plus, who looks at an antenna when you can't see the top of the tower from street level...

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 9:31 PM
An Optimistic Realist

That's not the point. The antenna by itself makes no sense because the radome was integrated into the tower's design. Everyone was robbed of a very modern aspect of the skyline. Removing it just like that and lying about it is the saddest thing to just accept.

Quote:
Considering that SOM has somehow managed to build and create maintenance plans for skyscrapers in many places for many years; and considering that Douglas Durst himself paid to place full-page ads in New York City newspapers in 2007, urging the new governor, Eliot Spitzer, to murder the tower; and considering that without the radome, what was a spire may be discounted as an antenna mast by the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat — the arbiter of building heights — which would mean that the Freedom Tower won't officially stand 1,776 feet tall: Regarding all this, David Childs is mum. Circumspect. Or plain worn-out.
So, let me get this straight.... That bastard was always against this tower? Yeah, this corruption needs to be shown to the public.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 9:45 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
That's not the point. The antenna by itself makes no sense because the radome was integrated into the tower's design. Everyone was robbed of a very modern aspect of the skyline. Removing it just like that and lying about it is the saddest thing to just accept.

So, let me get this straight.... That bastard was always against this tower? Yeah, this corruption needs to be shown to the public.
I think we are on the same level: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=26040

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 9:53 PM

Andrew Cuomo I think is a good governor, but clearly he made a mistake by removing Chris Ward from the head of the PA.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 9:56 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidsam52 View Post
Andrew Cuomo I think is a good governor, but clearly he made a mistake by removing Chris Ward from the head of the PA.
That's like saying "he's a good pilot but due to his incompetence the plane crashed" lol. Let's be honest, Cuomo is right there- in the middle of the pig party.

Southern Tip Skyline, Manhattan, New York City von jag9889 auf Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive