HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 7:03 AM

*Get To Know Utah Series: \/-\/-Red Rock & Palm Trees, Utah's Dixie, St. George-\/-\/

The 'Get To Know Utah Series' sets to highlight Utah, a state in the western United States, and its major cities through photographs. Each of Utah's five metropolitan areas, and their principle city's, will be showcased, in order of MSA size, starting from least to greatest:

5) Logan, UT-ID Metropolitan Statistical Area. Pop. 2008: 125,000.
4) St. George, UT MSA. Pop. 2008: 137,000.
3) Ogden-Clearfield, UT MSA. Pop. 2008: 530,000.
2) Provo-Orem, UT MSA. Pop. 2008: 540,000.
1) Salt Lake City, UT MSA. Pop. 2008: 1,115,000.

St. George is the southern most metro of Utah. It's near the Arizona and Nevada state borders and features similar geography to places like Las Vegas (2 hours away) and Phoenix. Strikingly different from the rest of Utah. It's known for its year-round warm weather and red rock formations. It's also within 30 minutes of the popular National Park - Zions. The city has become one of the fastest growing areas in the country, going from around 10,000 people in 1980 to about 72,000 now, and a popular retirement resort. Additional info: Wikipedia - St. George

Optional Music
Video Link

Thanks folk Hope you enjoyed.

For the next part in the series, we head back to the Wasatch Front and explore the diverse city of Ogden.

www.UtahProjects.info

Last edited by TonyAnderson; Dec 17, 2009 at 7:36 PM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 7:14 AM

Very cool, St. George has to be one of my favortie places! I love the desert scenery there, the mixture of desert plants with the red rock is beautiful. Great pics, I will definately be back to take a second look!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 7:19 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Very beautiful. I havent been to St George but I have been to Moab and Sedona and the red rocks look somewhat similar to whats shown here.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 4:08 PM

I can see why people want to live there.
I really to spend some time there someday. It would make a nice weekend trip and escape from winter in a few months.
I'm there often, but usually just driving by on the way to Vegas. I've never really spent more than 20 minutes in town.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 2:56 AM
Closed account

This is the first photo set I've seen that does justice to the scenery around St. George. It's just an incredible place. Nearby Hurricane, Utah also has some nice scenery.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 7:15 AM

Thanks. The scenery is amazing - it's sort of like building a city in the Grand Canyon.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 4:07 PM

I love Utah and all of it's natural wonders. I like the city of St. Geroge a lot. I just have MAJOR concerns about towns such as this, infringing upon our national parks. I was disappointed to see all of the development right up to the entrance of Zion NP. I also noticed this at other parks such as Mt. Rainier and parts of Yosemite. I would love to live close to these great parks and national forests, just not at the expense of the parks and forest.
Great pics !!!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 5:10 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLeric View Post
I love Utah and all of it's natural wonders. I like the city of St. Geroge a lot. I just have MAJOR concerns about towns such as this, infringing upon our national parks. I was disappointed to see all of the development right up to the entrance of Zion NP. I also noticed this at other parks such as Mt. Rainier and parts of Yosemite. I would love to live close to these great parks and national forests, just not at the expense of the parks and forest.
Great pics !!!
I know what you mean. Although I don't fault St. George for encroaching on Zion (it's far enough away), I was very disappointed at the way the town of Springdale runs right up to the park. Also, if I'm remembering correctly, Zion has a huge RV park right in the base of the valley next to the visitor center, which was disappointing. Is that correct, or am I remembering another park?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLeric View Post
Great pics !!!
I've had similar thoughts. It's amazing to see a city in such a setting, but also makes you feel bad for the beautiful natural scenery that is now developed on. If you live there though, you get the best of both.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 1:04 AM

Thanks for posting these! I was out in St. George in May and your pictures bring me back. That view from their airfield sure is great. Did you check out Snow Canyon SP at all? i think that's it in the 4th-to-last pic, isn't it?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdizzle View Post
Thanks for posting these! I was out in St. George in May and your pictures bring me back. That view from their airfield sure is great. Did you check out Snow Canyon SP at all? i think that's it in the 4th-to-last pic, isn't it?
That's right - Snow Canyon. There's some great hiking there as well. They're building a larger airport at a different spot in the city, and I've heard the current one will be made into a park - which would be great with those views.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 7:58 PM

Wow Tony, You've done St. George proud. I love St. George and Southern Utah.

It's about time we had a great thread on this beautiful, up and coming metro!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 8:30 PM

Nice shots. I love St. George. There is a reason it is growing like it is.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 9:53 PM
NYC Rick

Really nice shots!

Wow, it has been a while since I have been in St. George. Looks so much more alive now.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 8:43 AM

Thanks for the comments guys. The city and area are really photogenic. Development wise, it has a way to go - many of the new buildings, such as the new courthouse, have a really traditional feel, as seen in the photos. With that said, there's a lot of room layed out for downtown, and the city seems very enthusiastic about making St. George a large and great city. They seem very pro-development - but there's only so much you can do with a metro of 137,000.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 12:00 PM

^^^
Though, no doubt with the new airport and next boom cycle, St. George will probably double its population. It's obvious why people want to live there. Much prettier than Vegas surroundings, yet close enough to Vegas to enjoy its many attractions.

Nice to see people beginning to take advantage of the climate, and place more substantial palm trees in the mix. I loooove palm trees!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 5:17 PM

Nice pictures. The scenery is great, and I like the views like in the first picture.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos