HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 11:00 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

WILL BE LOCATED IN THE STONE OAK AREA

Quote:

Emily Baucum
News 4 San Antonio

Tesla Motors, the maker of luxury electric cars, is once again setting its sights on San Antonio with plans to open a showroom on the city's far north side.

Last year, the company passed the city up as the location of its first battery factory which would have brought thousands of jobs to town.

A showroom would not bring nearly as many jobs but it would be a local presence. Tesla is a notoriously secretive company. Not even some top local leaders knew about the plan until News 4 started asking questions.

Tesla is asking the city to re-zone five acres off East Sonterra and Highway 281 for a showroom for its high-performing, high-dollar electric cars.

News 4 found the proposal in Wednesday's agenda for the city's planning commission. Not even leaders who previously wooed Tesla to town know much about the company's plans.

"It doesn't take a lot of room to show their car," Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff says.

He explained the location would be a showroom only, not a dealership. Texas law prohibits manufacturers like Tesla from selling cars directly to customers - so drivers could come kick the tires, but couldn't drive off in a new car.

Judge Wolff believes there is an economic upside. "I think it's positive to have their showroom in San Antonio," Judge Wolff says. "Shows that San Antonio is up with technology, blends with other efforts that we're doing with solar power."

And perhaps the showroom is a sign of bigger things to come. Two weeks ago, Tesla's founder tweeted he wants to build a test track for a high-speed rail system "most likely in Texas."

City council will have the final say on if the land gets re-zoned. The showroom would be in Councilman Joe Krier's district. He tells News 4 he supports the showroom and hopes Tesla makes it the start of a larger presence.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 2:15 AM

Quote:
A proposed 150-unit apartment complex is one step closer to becoming a part of Alamo Heights.

Local developer enters fray over controversial Alamo Heights project
On Tuesday, the city's Architectural Review Board voted to give "conditional approval" to go forward with the project.

During Tuesday night's meeting, the majority of Alamo Heights residents who got up to the make a comment said they were are ready for a change.

"You just see development all around San Antonio," said Lawson Jessee, Alamo Heights resident. "You see San Antonio growing and improving and you haven't' seen that in Alamo Heights. So, this is a really great start for that."

Jessee said he is in support of a proposed mixed-use development at 5514 Broadway.

"It's a challenging project," said Rich Archer with Overland Partners Architects. "It's controversial. I think we got to hear from a lot of citizens who came out in support of the project, who really believe it's the best thing for the city."

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 4:15 AM
Paradise

Good. I hope this goes through.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 10:30 PM

Next phase of La Cantera's town center is going to get going. I wonder if they're going to include office space now that they're putting up those buildings across the road?

Quote:
Construction set to begin for next phase of La Cantera apartments
Katie Burke
Reporter-
San Antonio Business Journal

Construction for the second phase of the Residences at La Cantera is slated to begin this May, bringing the development one step closer to its goal of becoming a resort-like destination.

The estimated $47 million, four-story, 300-unit multifamily residential building has a permit to break ground this May. The project should be completed in two years.

Read more:
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...ase-of-la.html

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 8:15 PM

Another new, mid-rise building slated for the Medical Center. This will be the seventh (I think) new medical building since 2010.

Quote:
Austin-based developer taps into growing Medical Center market
Apr 1, 2015, 2:59pm CDT
Katie Burke
Reporter-San Antonio Business Journal

Live Oak has filed permits to start construction on a seven-story office building at 4458 Medical Drive in a quadrant shared by Methodist Hospital, The START Center for Cancer Care and University Hospital. The $8.7 million construction project is slated to begin in July for the building's shell only. It will take about a year to complete.

Read more: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...g-medical.html

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 3:32 PM

At first read I would think that the decimal was put in the wrong spot... $8.7 million for a 7-story office building?

$87 million sounds high for "the shell only"...not sure exactly what that means. However it looks like a small lot so if it is a spec development, I guess $8.7 is not too low.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 3:38 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLtoSA View Post
I would think that the decimal was put in the wrong spot. $8.7 million for a 7-story office building?

$87 million sounds high, but more reasonable than $8.7.
8.7 sounds about right actually. I'm a PM for a retailer here in Hou that constructs buildings in the 100k - 130k sqft range. Total build out (including refrigeration systems and fixtures) is around $20MM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 1:16 PM

And this one gets final approval.

Quote:
Alamo Heights apartments proposal passes
By Benjamin Olivo

Before a crowd of more than 100 residents, many of them angry, the Alamo Heights City Council voted 4-1 Monday night in favor of a proposal to build a 252-unit [sic], four-story apartment building at Broadway and Austin Highway.

Read more: http://www.expressnews.com/business/...#photo-7331656

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 5:34 AM

H&M TO OPEN A THIRD SAN ANTONIO STORE
THIRD STORE WILL BE LOCATED AT NORTH STAR MALL

Quote:
Price-sensitive shoppers may soon have a bit more to celebrate now that European retailer H&M is looking at opening yet another San Antonio location.

H&M is looking at North Star Mall on San Pedro Ave. for its newest store. According to a state permit filing, the retailer would open after spending $1.6 million remodeling retail space, which is expected to begin in July and be completed by October of this year. That's in addition to a $1.75 million construction project for a new store at the Rivercenter Mall, which is on schedule to open this August.

Improvements at North Star Mall will include new storefront systems, interior walls, flooring, finishes, ceiling, fixtures, and possibly most important, ADA-compliant toilets. The existing elevator and stairs in the space will be reused. According to Dustin Christensen, marketing manager for North Star Mall and the Shops at La Cantera, the mall isn't able to confirm any opening for the retailer since it is still something "in the works" and negotiations are still in play. However, typical leases are 10 years.

"(H&M) would be a great addition anywhere they go," Christensen said. "They have been a great addition to the Shops at La Cantera, and since it shares a lot of the same customers with North Star Mall, we would expect it to be very successful there as well."

By the end of 2015, H&M will have three stores in the city, with the first opening at the Shops at La Cantera a little less than a year ago. The three stores will give the retailer an expansive footprint throughout San Antonio, starting up in the Northwest, moving through North Central and stretching downtown.

The North Star Mall location will be the 13th Texas storefront for the retailer, but based on the rapid expansion it has demonstrated here, is unlikely to be the last for San Antonio.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 6:11 AM

Quote:
When Taylor Field House was built 42 years ago, only three Northside ISD high schools needed a court to play on.

When the district’s 11th high school opens up for the 2017-18 school year, NISD also will have another venue for its schools to use.

The district conducted a groundbreaking ceremony Friday at Farris Athletic Complex for the new Northside Sports Gym, an 88,400 square-foot venue that will be more than three times the size of Taylor.

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 2:27 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Tower crane up just west of I-10 north of UTSA Blvd - any ideas?

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
Tower crane up just west of I-10 north of UTSA Blvd - any ideas?
Security Service Fed. Credit Union is building their huge new campus, along with some retail lots. Its going to look drastically different. I read something about a tower going up there. Maybe that's what the crane's for.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillhippy_210 View Post
Security Service Fed. Credit Union is building their huge new campus, along with some retail lots. Its going to look drastically different. I read something about a tower going up there. Maybe that's what the crane's for.
SSFCU is building to move their Operations Center as well as their call center. Eventually, they will move their Corporate head Quarters also. There will be at least two buildings and a Parking Garage for SSFCU. However, they are working with a developer to attract businesses into the Office Park.

As for the "Tower"...I believe that that term was used a little loosely. i believe the Tower Refers to the Corporate HQ, but I don't believe that it will be anything significant in height.

Below is an old site plan, i don't believe that it hold true anymore, but it does show how much land SSFCU owns.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 7:53 PM

Where did you find that rendering? I've seen the site plan before on BexarWitness

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Where did you find that rendering? I've seen the site plan before on BexarWitness
I believe that it is a screen capture from the video in this link to the Ground Breaking ceremony.

[URL="https://www.ssfcu.org/en-us/Pages/default.aspx[/URL]

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 8:06 PM

Quote:
I believe that it is a screen capture from the video in this link to the Ground Breaking ceremony.

https://youtu.be/uWpfFqkriXo

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 9:13 AM

SECURITY SERVICE HEADQUARTERS CAMPUS RENDERINGS

With ground breaking in March, a tower crane now makes its presence known at the southwest corner of 1604 and I-10 on the far northwest side.

A large scale corporate campus for Security Service Federal Credit Unit is under construction,

Here are some renderings of the first of many office buildings planned for the campus.

CAMPUS SITE PLAN

Old Posted Jun 14, 2015, 5:44 PM

Another rendering of Landmark One

http://www.fulcrumsa.com/landmark-one/

Old Posted Jun 14, 2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Another rendering of Landmark One

http://www.fulcrumsa.com/landmark-one/
That's a lot of glass. What's the R value? How energy efficient will it be?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 11:37 PM

Texhorn not sure what the R value will be. But here is a more descriptive background of Landmark One that will tell more about it.

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/18968...an-Antonio-TX/

Looks like it might be Silver Certification.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio