HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post

Oh yes, and, one more retail story... I was asked by the Best Buy cashier how to spell Canada.
haha! i have that beat. at a Brooks Brothers in Vegas the cashier asked me (after giving my address) if we had washing machines in Canada to wash this clothes I had just bought.

seriously. not kidding.

which actually leads to another pet peeve. i hate that you just can't walk into a store now and buy something. they either want your phone number, address, postal code, are you in our computer, do you want to be in our computer, the computers not working, do you have X reward card? AHHHHH! F Off. I just want to pay and get the hell out.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 5:49 PM

Someone in Florida once asked me if Canada was somewhere near England...

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 7:33 PM

Railtown is around Alexander Street east of Gastown. i.e Alibi Room area.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2009, 1:51 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Think it starts at Gore, although it might be Main. Pretty sure the Alibi Room isn't quite in Railtown. It's another highly place I highly recommend, lots of different beers, and pretty decent comfort food too.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2009, 3:50 AM

Yeah, come to think of it, it could be east of Main.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2009, 11:40 PM

dedutch is opening three new stores
South Surrey in the Grandview Corners Shopping District (160th Street and 24th Avenue); the west side of Vancouver (West 2nd Avenue and Yukon); and, New Westminster in the Columbia Square Plaza (10th Street and Royal Avenue).

http://www.bclocalnews.com/surrey_ar.../79448507.html

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 12:08 AM

Tim Horton's is also open at L'Hermitage.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 5:55 AM

tim hortons has coming soon banner in vancouver centre - the one remaining store other than london drugs is closing down

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 4:40 PM

Does that mean they'll finally close the Vancouver Centre Mall? I've been at a loss to explain how any business could remain viable in that no-man's land. Even before the Skytrain development, hardly anyone ever went in there (except maybe to get into electronics at London Drugs)

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 9:44 PM

I don't know why it can't be doing better - maybe a better street entrance? looks like a good opportunity for a lot of retailers who can't get into Pac Centre...

----------

Shopping in Vancouver: where to find everything from skateboards to soap

VANCOUVER, B.C. — Hordes of people will soon be descending on Vancouver to watch the world's best athletes. But when they're not at the ski hill or skating rink, the visitors may have something else on their minds: shopping.

A new guidebook, "Frommer's Vancouver & Whistler Day by Day," gives tips on where to buy everything from skateboards to soap, and cookbooks to kitsch.

A-list shopping neighbourhoods in Vancouver include Robson Street, between Hornby and Jervis streets, for "big-name, big-label" goods - look here for Ferragamo, Bebe, Roots, Armani and Hilfiger - and Granville Street, south of False Creek, for more high-end shops.

In East Vancouver there's Commercial Drive - between E. 6th Avenue and Venables Street - for interesting boutiques and a counterculture flavour. As well, Main Street between 19th and 29th avenues is a good place to find funky clothing and antiques.

Kitsilano has 4th Avenue, between Balsam and Burrard streets, a six-block stretch of new and second-hand clothing stores, bookstores, furniture and housewares, while Water Street in Gastown has some of the best places to buy quality First Nations art.

For skateboards, snowboards and related accessories, head to the shops at the corner of W. 4th and Burrard Street.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...33d1qATomWURPQ

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
tim hortons has coming soon banner in vancouver centre - the one remaining store other than london drugs is closing down
There's more than one other store down there (other than the Food Fair and Scotiabank). The Food Fair is quite popular.
There's the tailor, a massive women's wear store near The Bay (where the Loonie Store used to be), and the one you're probably talking about - a jeweler or something? (odd merchandise)
There's also been hoarding up for a while at the street level stairwell next to Scotiabank - not sure if they are expanding the entrance to make it more inviting.
The mall lost its street level entrance when Starbucks was built over what was previously a sunken plaza entrance to the mall (where the newstand was for years and years).

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 10:54 PM

that women's store is closing down - i do like the food fair - its quieter than pac centre but dark

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 10:56 PM

With Tim Hortons there, and the Canada Line, they could have signs and etc. pointing in there. Some improved signage of what is in there could be good.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 10:56 PM

i could envision Bath & Body Works moving in, Anthropologie maybe, if they could get a street entrance - a few of the anth stores i have been to have small street presence but large stores under neath

with the Canada line they have much more exposure and its easy enough to get to from pac centre plus the office crowd would know that a place like B&BW is there and i was at the one in Richmond last night itwas insanely busy vancouverites are loving that store

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
that women's store is closing down - i do like the food fair - its quieter than pac centre but dark
Wow - that's a huge store - they recently moved to that location from opposite London Drugs - guess the traffic is to and from London Drugs, not The Bay. Hopefully the Loonie Store will be back - it's a hassle to walk all the way over to the Dollarama under the Bay Parkade.

Beard Papa's on Robson has been painted from what I could see.

The S'il Vous Plait location has "Grand Opening" signs up for "Gyudon Gyu" - although given the papered over windows, it's clear they meant "Opening Soon".

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 12:50 AM

Hmm, Gyudon Gyu, eh? Kind of an odd name for a restaurant. Beef bowl beef.

I wonder what type of food they'll have.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 1:04 AM

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 3:12 AM

Opens in Surrey Central tomorrow!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 1:11 AM

i noticed REEBOK has opened a store in Queensborough Landing

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 5:57 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Took a quick scan of the thread and couldn't find anything, noticed that all 4 storefront at Raffles are leased out, looks like it's going to be consolidated into one large unit. Is this just an opportunistic Olympic rental or did they find a real tenant?

Last edited by jlousa; Dec 21, 2009 at 6:54 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy