HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 9:29 AM

Atlanta | More than just Skyscrapers

Hi guys, thank you for giving me thread a chance. I finally got around to photographing Atlanta and some of it's neighborhoods. It's always been a misconception that Atlanta is nothing but shiny skyscrapers. I don't blame people for this perception. Most of the time, you only see the skyline in pictures because...let's be honest...it's beautiful, but there is a lot more to Atlanta than just shiny skyscrapers and I hope this thread can prove that.

Me and my friend walked over 8 miles in a course of around 8 hours while I photographed the different neighborhoods. I don't have the best camera so please work with me here lol. This is my first large scale gallery ever and this gallery is LARGE. I didn't even cover every neighborhood I wanted to. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did when we photographed around the city.

Downtown: We decided to do downtown first since it was convenient. I'm splitting up the downtown neighborhood into different neighborhoods since it's so large.

*Atlanta skyline from the subway before heading underground*

South Downtown(Downtown): The historic and gritty part of Downtown. Very gritty, but some great architecture.

*I always loved the Alligator art on this building*

*This building used to house a Rich's department store before suburbia killed downtown shopping here.*

*The building with the '5 points sports' known as the Olympia is going to be turned into a Walgreens. It's been many many years since the space has been in use.*

Fairlie-Poplar(Downtown) - The most compact feeling, traditionally urban and charming neighborhood of Atlanta. It's one of my favorite neighborhoods in the city. There are parts that have a quiet feel to it and parts that are bustling during the day.

*Most people don't expect tight streets like this in Atlanta*

*Small neighborhood bar that many of the residents of the hood and Georgia State students go to.

*Broad Street, the dining core of Fairlie Poplar and a popular spot for GSU students, tourists, and workers during the weekday.

*Talk about a diverse selection of food *

*It's sad that retail can't sustain here unfortunately. Great buildings though....*

Now we'll be heading into the touristy areas of downtown...

Centennial Park(Downtown) - As the name suggests, it's the area centered on Centennial Park, created as remembrance of the 1996 Olympic Games. Lately, many museums, tourist traps, and the likes have been developed here...

*The Ferris Wheel you see here called 'Skyview Atlanta' was constructed back in July 2013. It gets a lot more traffic than I expected it would.

*Midtown Skyline from the park*

*This is the new College Football Hall of Fame being constructed with an opening of Spring 2014*

Peachtree Center(Downtown) - The center of tourism here in Atlanta...seriously. It is also home to the tallest skyscrapers in downtown, but I didn't really photograph them.

East Downtown/Sweet Auburn(Downtown) - The old commercial district for blacks back in the day...sadly, it's kind of rotted...it used to be known for black wealth and power in the city.

*The Sweet Auburn curb market...a great little urban market with great food*

Finally, we're out of downtown and into the next neighborhood to the East...

The Old Forth Ward/MLK Historic District- Sometimes, it's hard for me to differentiate between these two areas so I'll put them together...

*MLK's birth home is right in the middle*

Now we begin our trek on Atlanta's most innovative, highly appraised project so far...

The Atlanta Beltline - Eastside Trail - The Atlanta beltline will be a 22 mile trail that will encircle the city core connecting multiple parks and neighborhoods. City leaders envision transit being on the beltline in the near future.

*Townhouses and Apartments of Inman Park along the beltline*

Before we finish the Eastside Trail, I want to take a stop in 2 of Atlanta's most interesting neighborhoods...

Inman Park - One of Atlanta's most desirable urban neighborhoods. Very walkable.

*New Development in Inman Park*

Now we take a short 5-7 minute walk to Atlanta's most eclectic and unique neighborhood.

Little Five Points - Very quirky neighborhood about 2 miles East of Downtown Atlanta. Very vibrant though and full of life.

*Not sure if he was flicking me off or thumbing me up lol*

Now back to the Beltline...

Beltline 2

*Skatepark and small park developed along the beltline recently*

*A portion of Midtown's skyline peaking out*

*New Development along the beltline*

*Ponce City Market, a massive redevelopment of an old 1800s-era building. It is being turned into a massive mixed used urban market hybrid and being compared to Chelsea Market in NYC to give context.*

Piedmont Park - Known as the best park in Atlanta, it is a decent size urban park sitting adjacent to Midtown. Personally, I think it's one of the best urban parks in the country and is very underrated. Not much pics though as I was being limited on time.

Midtown - The northern half of Atlanta's urban center, Midtown essentially functions as an extension to Downtown Atlanta, though much more residential and neighborhood like.

*Something goin down at the Fabulous Fox!*

That's it for this particular gallery. I hope you enjoyed! Will not be the last as I have more neighborhoods to cover .

Last edited by Ant131531; Mar 23, 2014 at 10:03 AM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 1:30 PM

Some nice looking neighborhoods there!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 4:39 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Thanks for the pics, nice to see some Atlanta here.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 6:02 PM

Very nice! It's good seeing Atlanta come together...

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 6:49 PM

Great pics nice job I love Atlanta and always get excited seeing new development

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 7:13 PM

nice work!

Nice work! Your photos capture many well-trafficked neighborhoods intown.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 8:02 PM

Absolutely outstanding, Ant131531! Hopefully this will shatter some persistent misconceptions regarding our wonderful City.

Really looking forward to your future threads of other hoods.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 8:13 PM
marcus

Great thread, man! It's sometimes hard for people outside of Atlanta to see a full perspective of the city in terms of urbanity, but you did an outstanding job showing us that Atlanta is more than suburban misconceptions. Great work! I was into it!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 12:58 AM

Thank you everyone! I was trying to capture some of that Spring energy on a warm, sunny day. I wish I had a better camera though...hopefully I can get one soon so I can begin taking some really nice photographs.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 1:04 AM
Illustrator, editor

Nice to see something else, the gritty areas looks interesting. Little 5 points looks like Brooklyn or Berlin.

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 3:40 PM
Back on the road again

Excellent thread. Great photos! You almost made it to my 'hood, East Atlanta Village.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 4:25 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Thanks for the pics, Ant131531.

Atlanta has much to see, more than I thought. Very nice city for a very long walk. I´d like to visit it.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
Excellent thread. Great photos! You almost made it to my 'hood, East Atlanta Village.
I'm going to try to get to more neighborhoods in the future. This was all done by walking so we had to take breaks, eat, etc. Long, but fun day for sure.

Thank you again for the positive comments everyone!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 7:08 AM

Nice.. Does anyone else see a lot of Houston in these pics? I didn't realize the similarities, especially downtown. That Fox Theater is awesome!!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 10:17 AM

..Hotlanta.........is looking HOT, and I don't mean temperature. I have never been there and you made me see what all the hype is about.....Great tour!!!..

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natenate View Post
Nice.. Does anyone else see a lot of Houston in these pics? I didn't realize the similarities, especially downtown. That Fox Theater is awesome!!
No...I don't think Houston's downtown looks like Atlanta's at all...Atlanta's is much more brick and mortar, with tighter streets and much more gritty with less emphasis on office towers.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 4:28 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Atlanta has a lot going on. I once visited MLK's home and the surrounding neighborhood.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 9:10 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Atlanta has some very comfortable bones.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 3:22 AM

Great photos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
No...I don't think Houston's downtown looks like Atlanta's at all...Atlanta's is much more brick and mortar, with tighter streets and much more gritty with less emphasis on office towers.
Agreed. Downtown Houston looks nothing like Downtown Atlanta.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 4:04 AM

I love Inman Park. I almost bought property there in the late 90's. It's is very walkable with MARTA and shops/restaurants nearby. Its location is quite appealing to my taste : tree-y and sandwiched between Little 5 Points, Poncey/Hi, Downtown, and the burgeoning Old Fourth Ward with Grant Park, VaHi, and East Atlanta Village nearby. The Old Fourth Ward neighborhood has certainly changed since the 90s along with the birth of the Beltline. Inman Park is one of my favorite (if not favorite) neighborhood in Atlanta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post

*Townhouses and Apartments of Inman Park along the beltline*

Inman Park - One of Atlanta's most desirable urban neighborhoods. Very walkable.

*New Development in Inman Park*

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos