HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OslPhlWasChi View Post
AA only has 2 transatlantic destinations at JFK (MXP, EDI) that are not served already by PHL. PHL has 12 transatlantic destinations not served by JFK. There are arguably some new connection options in both directions but more important is that the service is 6x daily on small regional aircraft (only about 250 seats daily each way), spread evenly throughout the day. So it does not appear to be built for any singular particular connection purpose - perhaps its just added connectivity between two AA hubs and also slot squatting at JFK.
But AA is part of One World - and JFK has dozens of One World partner destinations that PHL does not serve like Hong Kong, for example.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
But AA is part of One World - and JFK has dozens of One World partner destinations that PHL does not serve like Hong Kong, for example.
Absolutely. That is another factor. Add it to the list. I am just skeptical that 250 seats daily slowly spread out over the course of the day is designed with any particular set of connections in mind. Yes there are OW partners who have another bank or two of TPAC connections, but that doesn't fill the scheduled flights on their own - nor do any of the other added connection options in either direction.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OslPhlWasChi View Post
As mentioned earlier, Aer Lingus is adding 4 weekly service to PHL on a 757.
They upped it to daily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
I wouldn't say dozens, but there are quite a few, especially in Asia and South America were PHL has zero nonstop service.

The head scratcher to me is that these short flights on small planes are typically the first to be cancelled or significantly delayed at the first sign of bad weather. Which completely alters an international trip. It's not like PHL based travelers do not have other alternative connection points in Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, or Miami among others to get to these international destinations not served from PHL.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 8:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post
They upped it to daily.

I wouldn't say dozens, but there are quite a few, especially in Asia and South America were PHL has zero nonstop service.

The head scratcher to me is that these short flights on small planes are typically the first to be cancelled or significantly delayed at the first sign of bad weather. Which completely alters an international trip. It's not like PHL based travelers do not have other alternative connection points in Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, or Miami among others to get to these international destinations not served from PHL.
well isn't JFK a preferable launching point for flights to Europe vs the other cities you mentioned? I don't know that flying to Chicago or Dallas to fly across the Atlantic would make sense for most people.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuilder View Post
well isn't JFK a preferable launching point for flights to Europe vs the other cities you mentioned? I don't know that flying to Chicago or Dallas to fly across the Atlantic would make sense for most people.
I was talking about the rest of the world outside of Europe where PHL lacks service. PHL-Miami-South America or PHL-Dallas/Chicago/LA-Asia are not really back tracking.

As mentioned, AA serves far more European destinations from PHL than they do JFK. There are only 2 not served from PHL, and if you add in American's alliance partners, there are only two more London Gatwick and Helsinki (so basically one).

In general, yes JFK is the preferred launching point. But American publicly stated that PHL will be the prime transatlantic gateway, particularly for new destinations. Hence why they are flying PHL- Prague and Budapest from Philly and not JFK.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 11:27 PM
Fishtown & Country

Tha National, Friday, 1-19

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 1:31 PM

I know some people hate it, but Lincoln Square is coming along well. A couple more proposals around it get built and you may get a mini-canyon effect on Washington Ave.

20180119_163818

20180119_163858

20180119_163855

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 9:47 PM

I can wait for driverless cars. Cars are a hassle. Too much time and money wasted year in and year out on something that we can all share.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 9:51 PM

Deleted post

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 10:05 PM

Sorry if already reported but this is news to me. Not sure of the location (I would think they'd want a lower rent spot maybe on East Chestnut or Market),but this is still a good development:

Quote:
CB2, described as the younger, hipper sibling of Crate & Barrel, announced earlier this week a Feb. 2 opening of a 12,000-square-foot showroom in the space formerly occupied by Kenneth Cole, Lacoste, and a physical therapy office at 1422 Walnut St.
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...html?mobi=true

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 10:14 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norristown Revival View Post
I can wait for driverless cars. Cars are a hassle. Too much time and money wasted year in and year out on something that we can all share.
Just a little hypothetical exercise: who cleans up the kids vomit and spilled soda in the cup holder the previous driver left?

That one thing right there is enough for me to believe there will never be widespread car sharing outside of dense areas where a car-free or nearly car-free lifestyle is possible. And that doesn't even get into the human psychological preference towards ownership that isn't going anywhere fast among most people of even all means. Oh yeah, there's also the little thing with auto industry having the goal of selling cars, preferably as many as possible.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Just a little hypothetical exercise: who cleans up the kids vomit and spilled soda in the cup holder the previous driver left?

That one thing right there is enough for me to believe there will never be widespread car sharing outside of dense areas where a car-free or nearly car-free lifestyle is possible. And that doesn't even get into the human psychological preference towards ownership that isn't going anywhere fast among most people of even all means. Oh yeah, there's also the little thing with auto industry having the goal of selling cars, preferably as many as possible.
Actually, Car companies want a steady monthly revenue stream- see Volvo's new SUV that they are not selling- you can only rent (fee will include insurgence and maintenance). Ford CEO also wants to move to pay for transportation service - not car model. Just precursors to a pay a monthly fee for transportation. I suppose if you spill something or vomit- you will report this and the car will be cleaned before returned to service- and your car rating will go down
Assimilate...
insurance will go up for those who insist on driving themselves, so it will become a hobby of the rich.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 8:47 AM

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 2:24 PM

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 2:53 PM

Over the past few months, Ive noticed this building at 11th and Chestnut Streets getting new windows-in place of the "painted" windows that appear to have been in place for decades. I'm assuming this means another apartment conversion....

11th and Chestnut by shad obat, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 3:34 PM

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 4:18 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGuy View Post
Assimilate...
insurance will go up for those who insist on driving themselves, so it will become a hobby of the rich.
Let me put it this way, I believe you and I will both be dead before anything close to that happens, if it ever does.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 5:52 PM
build awesome buildings

love the pic updates, mike and shadow. there is still so much potential on chestnut and it’s awesome seeing the area around union transfer starting to come together.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 8:16 PM

In addition to Wawa, retail upgrades and parking, it looks like the Public Ledger is getting apartments or condos! Nice job Carlyle. I took pictures of the different permits that are up today. If someone wants to DM me who wants to post the pictures here, I'll email them to you. It reads "Roof Deck/Pool accessory to residential usess only, for one hundred five (185) dwelling units on floors 1 through 12..."Originally, Carlyle had said there would be condos and a hotel marriage. https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...-old-city.html Not sure that's still the plan with the current "dwelling units". Despite the article's suggestion that Carlyle was looking to offload the building from the article last year, they obviously still own it. Last but not least...Go Birds!!!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 9:56 PM

I hope they are turning the Independent Press Building into loft condos. I love the high ceilings with those factory style windows.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development