HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

OneEleven in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 6, 2011, 5:46 PM

The top part is definitely a great departure from what we've seen go up in the city in the past 10 years...but the base.... It's still that very early 2000's blah office tower design. As someone mentioned, just frame out the curtain wall system to achieve a design that compliments what is going on above. I'm not saying, match the top of the tower. I think the different pieces make the design more compelling...very much like the parking base and condos in Marina towers feel like two different pieces.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 4:56 PM

Please let this be built. After Waterview fell through, I was hoping for someone merely to finish the parking garage so we didn't have Pyongyang on the river, but seeing this is getting my blood stirred in a way that it hasn't been since the heady days of the Spire...

The bottom does look way the heck out of place, but from different perspectives I think this could work. The view at river level will have that massive glass facade adding more of a canyon look, while the skyline will have the eye-catching Jenga tower.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 4:46 AM

Kind of reminds me of a funky version of the original 111 S. Wacker atop a stubby box.

It's interesting but still a bit clunky.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
Anyone know if there is another tower that's cantilevered like this in the US?
To add to the other posts...

Outside of the US, there is one in Hong Kong. The Chinese People's Liberation Army Forces Hong Kong Building (sheesh...what a long name.)

Source

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 6:56 AM
them bones

Rainier Square in Seattle:

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 3:12 PM
BANNED

Looking at all of the other examples in this thread it would appear that no one has built a building with as extreme of a cantilever as proposed in this design (obviously barring the CCTV building in Beijing which is a completely different concept). It also seems that this style was in vogue for a while in the 70's and hasn't been touched since.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 5:27 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

In the current design , the top is more than I expected from related but still kind of generic. The cantilever is great and makes an awesome urban space. The base though...

This is too cool to happen, but I'd love to see the base clad in a traditional deco. The curve reminds me of the Chicago Motor Club Building, who's general facade could transfer very well to Waterview. It would look great with the existing streetwall and even more badazz with that cantilevered tower on top. That is a proposal I could get behind.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 7:04 PM

Stunning.

When I first scrolled down and saw the rendering, I was blown away. Not only are the facade and cantilever unique, beautiful, and intriguing, but looking at the last render, those are going to be some exceptional interiors...the definition between the inside and outside should be very interesting.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 4:50 AM
tilted & shifted

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 6:34 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Gorgeous shot, hydrogen.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 2:11 AM
The Hero we deserve

They are going to restart construction in early 2012 and finish in 2014. They say it will be the 6th tallest building in Chicago which is in the 1,005 - 992 feet range. Its about time.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoisepic View Post
They are going to restart construction in early 2012 and finish in 2014. They say it will be the 6th tallest building in Chicago which is in the 1,005 - 992 feet range. Its about time.
Source?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 3:28 AM

That's great!! Where did you hear this?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 3:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
As much as I hope you are right, the renders we've seen just don't suggest that is reality. Where did you hear this? I've heard that they are shooting for 1Q or 2Q 2012, but nothing about it being that tall...

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 4:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I have no source to tell me otherwise but just based on general chatter that claim seems incredulous.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Really??? Are you sure???

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 3:25 AM
BANNED

^^^^There is no credible evidence to suggest that this guy, the poster claiming ~1,000ft, knows at all what he is talking about. All he has presented are a few bytes encoded in ASCII.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 6:43 PM
The Hero we deserve

sorrry for replying so late but i got this off of a link on wikipedia. You can see it here.

Dont tell me wikipedia isnt a reliable resource im tired of hearing that. not everything on wikipedia is fake. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterview_Tower

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 6:49 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Dont tell me wikipedia isnt a reliable resource im tired of hearing that. not everything on wikipedia is fake. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterview_Tower
^ its not that wikipedia is unreliable, it's just that wikipedia is likely wrong in this case. the rendering that spyguy posted CLEARLY shows a tower in the same height range as neighboring 77 west wacker (RR donnelly), which is 668' tall.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 6:52 PM
The Hero we deserve

That SUXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive