HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
They don't own the track to Kitchener either. They will be building a new bypass corridor. It'll be a boon to have improved rail service connecting more communities in Southern Ontario but, why would you suggest Kitchener as a "release value" as if Toronto doesn't sprawl far enough.
Only need to from the 407 to Georgetown. What was that proposal called again?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 6:48 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
I would caution to not let the perfect be the enemy of the good. What I understand from your post is that you don't want LRT because it will push the need for a full metro line back a few years or decades. That may very well be the case, but I don't know if a metro is worth the decades of poor service, especially in a small centre like KWC where such a line likely won't be justifiable for 50 years at least.

I'd invite you to see it this way; the intermediary step of LRT can help put in place the necessary conditions for a metro. A LRT-less KWC wouldn't develop the same way that it will with LRT; Without some form of higher-capacity transit, residents, offices and destinations would have to be more spread out with wider roads and more parking to sustain them. In that context, a metro would be a poor choice since there wouldn't be a concentrated spine of activity and density for it to run along. So if come 2070, a LRT-less KWC looks like Brampton, then you're no closer (and may actually be further) from a true metro than if you had gone with LRT.

An analogy might be to say that children shouldn't go to high school because the improvement in what they know will push the need for a university degree back a few years. That may be true, but it's only with the knowledge acquired during high school that you'll be able to get to university at all.

It's rare for a city to go from nothing to metro in a single leap because the concentration and density necessary for a metro often requires some intermediary technology which can put the right conditions in place. Even in places which built them after taking down their streetcar networks (Montreal, DC, Vancouver, etc.), the urban form which allowed for their metros were only made possible by those very same streetcar networks. So if you want more metro lines, the best thing you can do today in small towns is to advocate for that intermediary step, no matter what it is.
As the next poster after you said it, LRT is not a step to metros. If it was just the next step with metro to come 20 years later after you say, I'd be more open. But that's not what happens. Politicians see that "rapid transit" exists along the corridor, and then it's done. Has there ever been a case where an LRT line is converted to become fully grade separated?

Meanwhile, speed isn't improved, which is far more important in shifting mode share from cars to transit than the sex appeal of the transit vehicle. That's why I'm willing to let the perfect be the enemy of the good. LRT's not even good. It goes the same speed as a bus, except it's on rails. Whoop dee doo.

I know, I know, capacity. But Broadway in Vancouver carries over 80,000 people a day on buses alone. LRT may have more capacity, but it seems to me that buses can handle it alright as well. And this is of course far from ideal, and it runs into problems. But that means it needs to get SkyTrain along it already. It's no question that it could support it.

I also disagree that an area has to have some sort of rail transit first before it becomes urban enough for a metro. There are plenty of other ways to go about it. And again, say LRT does spur development and becomes overcrowded. I don't see it being upgraded to actual rapid transit after that.

I just think people aren't patient enough. Buses are capable of far more than people think. I know we all want to get our city in the big leagues with a rail-transit line, but is that really more important than comprehensively improving overall transit service? That's a value judgment. I know for some people, it is. But for me, it's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
I am quite supportive of the first phase of the KW-LRT, even if I'm not that supportive of LRTs in general.

As the report that Malcolm Tucker posted reveals, the travel time will be about the same as the current limited stop bus service (the iXpress). However, I think that the point of the LRT is to establish a transit culture - or, maybe more properly, an alternative-to-car culture - in what we might describe as an "emerging" transit market.

Kitchener's major trip generators are all along one route, which is short enough to make travel times not a huge factor, but long enough that you need some form of rapid transit. These trip generators are also pretty major, even by big city standards. The urban built form along this route can be quite urban and dense, too, while most of the roads along which this route will travel are quite narrow and restrictive. The route already runs as a limited stop bus service with 10 minute frequencies, and I think there is potential for bus congestion if they doubled their level of service - particularly through the old cores of Kitchener and Waterloo where a bus ROW is not really feasible. I don't think a BRT is the way to go, and obviously grade separated metro - even light metro - is total overkill.

Now, I don't think an LRT is the way to go for the expansion to Cambridge, either.
As I said before, I don't think establishing a transit culture is that much of an issue in Canada as it is in the US. It comes about naturally. I believe that if you keep making meaningful improvements to bus service, the ridership will come. I see no reason in spending a huge sum of money that brings no tangible improvement to the transit experience. Especially considering that in countless examples across the US, putting in rail lines hardly increases ridership; it mostly just shifts existing bus ridership to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
There's a segment of the population that views the bus as beneath them, but have no problems taking a train.

I wish that segment was 1%, but I think it's closer to 50% of the population.
I don't care about those people. $1 billion is much better spent on improving the freedom of existing transit customers through general service improvements rather than building a token rail line for people that think they're too good for the bus to maybe consider taking it some time. In time, things will progress to the point that a metro is needed, and then those people can have their rail line.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 10:13 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Looks like they are planning to use gauntlet track to maintain clearance with platforms. Haven't seen how they are going to maintain vertical clearance. Region of Waterloo owns the ROW, and their contractor the Goderich-Exeter Railway doesn't list the spur as having service right now. A quick search shows 4 companies with direct access to spurs along with the historic railway socieity which may still run excursion trains:
  1. Commonwealth Plywood
  2. Fairway Lumber
  3. Sulco Chemicals
  4. Chemtura Canada
They continue to run trains to Elmira, so presumably the vertical clearance is fine.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 10:48 AM
gettin' rich!

Well, the cities in Canada that have successful full metros now, had some very slow rail transit before they got subways. There was never a next step to fully grade seperated streetcars before the subways. In fact something like 80 years of very slow in median mixed traffic streetcar service allowed for very dense development to take place in many of the most notable neighborhoods in Canada. In Toronto, think of Bloor West/Yonge/Queen/King. (Whoop Dee Doo!- actually going slower than buses! Lol) Those areas that had no streetcar service and went straight to metro show it might have been foolish to do so even with 60 years of bus service, I'm thinking about Sheppard in Toronto, and new subways in Highway Corridors or Vaughan. Quite useless right?

Kitchener-Waterloo and the region might be a special case, where the people there are pushing for it, and willing to pay the cost to fund it. They voted for it, its not like the province just threw them the money, they voted to allocate $600 million dollars of their hard earned tax dollars towards the project. It must be the German in them, they really wanted their trams. They wanted that permanency of installed rail transit and the development boom has been taking place since deliberations were on going for over 10 years and as they get closer to completion the projects along the spine are getting bigger and bigger. In the end the development, the taxes and the income generated by this project will pay back then region and the province many times over.

I don't think its fair to make the comparison for the Waterloo Region LRT to very congested streets in far larger cities. For example in Toronto downtown the King/Queen streetcars carry over 100,000 people per day. And to relieve this LRT and Subway is in the planning stages to deal with the overcrowding here. Kitchener is only at 20,000 and their rail cars are larger have more traffic separation than in Toronto so it should allow them to deal with that capacity should they ever get there. Probably not in our lifetime though.

Hey if Kitchener gets to the point where their LRT is carrying 80,000 to 100,000 kudos to them for the foresight in making serious investments in transit that allowed this to be realized. They are making the financial commitment, they are also home to the most innovative industrial region in the country , so I will give them their due props. I can't hate these dudes,, their ancestors had trams all over the place back home, they want them here. We will support them fully.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 12:38 PM
recession proof

^K-W's ancestors had trams in Berlin & Waterloo going back to the 1880s.

The new LRT route actually brought more suburban-style planning to the core than the bus routes did. eg. Weber Street widened, destroying historic narrow streetscape.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 2:01 PM
gettin' rich!

Torontonians get an early look at King Street's 'transit-first' future

http://www.metronews.ca/news/toronto...t-project.html

Quote:
The King streetcar is one of the busiest transit surface routes in the city, and all that mixed traffic isn't helping anybody get where they're going.

The Alternating Loops option would allow a single lane of one-way vehicle traffic for local access. However, that direction reverses at every block to prevent through traffic. This design would free up more space pedestrian and patio areas.

The Separated Lanes option would dedicate King's centre lanes to the streetcar and give the remaining lanes to one direction of car traffic. Left turns and stopping would be forbidden, but through traffic would be permitted. Of the three options, this is the only one that does not include an expansion of pedestrian space.

The Transit Promenade would extend the sidewalk into the road on both sides while allowing local, right-turn-only vehicle access in both directions. However, cars will be forbidden from driving straight through intersections.

Nasr told Torstar News Service the department hopes to have a pilot project underway by the fall, after another public consultation in April, reporting to the committee in June, and a meeting with council in July.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Well, the cities in Canada that have successful full metros now, had some very slow rail transit before they got subways. There was never a next step to fully grade seperated streetcars before the subways. In fact something like 80 years of very slow in median mixed traffic streetcar service allowed for very dense development to take place in many of the most notable neighborhoods in Canada. In Toronto, think of Bloor West/Yonge/Queen/King. (Whoop Dee Doo!- actually going slower than buses! Lol) Those areas that had no streetcar service and went straight to metro show it might have been foolish to do so even with 60 years of bus service, I'm thinking about Sheppard in Toronto, and new subways in Highway Corridors or Vaughan. Quite useless right?
That is not the Vancouver experience. Not certain about the Montreal experience.

In the case of Vancouver they had street car or inter-urbans. Most cities in Canada (Victoria, Hamilton, Saskatoon, etc.) had these at some point. They were dropped and abandoned for many years as the city moved to trolley buses. It was then many decades before any rail service would come back.

Skytrain used an old long abandoned inter-urban route when it was built in the 1980s. Today it is the largest system in Canada. Not bad for 30 years.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 2:37 PM

Montreal abandoned its streetcar network in 1959 and opened subways in 1967. Obviously, there was a very short time period after abandonment before subways were being planned. It must have become very apparent that buses were not going to be enough.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 2:41 PM

For smaller centres, LRT is the best case scenario. Saskatoon is 100 years away from a metro, but could have LRT in 20 years.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 2:55 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Montreal abandoned its streetcar network in 1959 and opened subways in 1967. Obviously, there was a very short time period after abandonment before subways were being planned. It must have become very apparent that buses were not going to be enough.
Planning for the Metro in Montreal started decades before the streetcars were dropped as far as I can tell. Buses and metros have an overlap in capacity (as shown by comparing Vancouver's Broadway buses to say the Sheppard line in Toronto). LRT is a questionable use of expenses that merely delays proper transit improvements.

Is LRT today really worth delaying a metro by a decade or two? I would say only in the case of somewhere that's clearly basically plateaued in transit use. For instance, some of Toronto's downtown streetcar routes are obviously stable enough that once the DRL actually gets built they'll have enough capacity for a century or two. But look at how Calgary is already having troubles with capacity on their LRT downtown at only like 1.5 million and what, 30 year?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 3:35 PM
gettin' rich!

Yes, makes sense to start slow. Especially for a smaller city.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
They continue to run trains to Elmira, so presumably the vertical clearance is fine.
It runs from a station north of the LRT zone now. http://waterloocentralrailway.com/tr...ing-the-train/

Unless they are running in the middle of the night to access their shop.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Only need to from the 407 to Georgetown. What was that proposal called again?
The missing link. It's essentially going to connect the CN bypass corridor to the CP line at the western edge of Mississauga, then run along the CP line to connect to the CN line again in Milton. It frees up the corridor through Brampton and Georgetown for GO trains only.

It's going to be hella expensive though. It needs a ton of grade separations as it weaves through a hydro corridor and multiple freeway ramps.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Planning for the Metro in Montreal started decades before the streetcars were dropped as far as I can tell. Buses and metros have an overlap in capacity (as shown by comparing Vancouver's Broadway buses to say the Sheppard line in Toronto). LRT is a questionable use of expenses that merely delays proper transit improvements.

Is LRT today really worth delaying a metro by a decade or two? I would say only in the case of somewhere that's clearly basically plateaued in transit use. For instance, some of Toronto's downtown streetcar routes are obviously stable enough that once the DRL actually gets built they'll have enough capacity for a century or two. But look at how Calgary is already having troubles with capacity on their LRT downtown at only like 1.5 million and what, 30 year?
If LRT will have sufficient capacity for 50 years and can be placed to a great degree in its own right of way, why not?

There are more choices than just buses and 100% grade separated metros.

What Calgary has done has been enormously successful and there will likely never be the density outside of downtown to justify a metro. Their solution to existing LRT congestion is build another line. More cities should be choosing that option to bring rapid transit closer to more of the population.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 5:05 PM
Closed account

Quote:
It runs from a station north of the LRT zone now. http://waterloocentralrailway.com/tr...ing-the-train/

Unless they are running in the middle of the night to access their shop.
The Waterloo Central Railway will continue to operate from that spot. I was talking about the freight trains to Uniroyal in Elmira which continue to run on the Spur Line and have throughout construction.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 5:10 PM
gettin' rich!

First LRT trains on their way to Kitchener-Waterloo Region

First Ion Bombardier LRT car to ship Tuesday from Thunder Bay
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitche...-bay-1.3980768

Quote:
Waterloo Region's first LRT car is scheduled to be shipped Tuesday from the Bombardier plant in Thunder Bay.

It could take 10 to 12 days for the rail car to arrive in the region, where it will be checked out and then used for testing.

"We still have a lot of work to do, with 13 more vehicles expected to arrive before the end of the year, but we're pleased and will continue to monitor Bombardier closely as we move forward," regional councillor Tom Galloway said in a release.

Initially, the first car will be housed inside the Ion operations facility. In the spring, it will begin a rolling test on track in Waterloo that runs from the Northfield stop to north of the Caroline/Erb intersection, the release stated.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 5:38 PM

The CDPQi has now formalized the bidding process for the REM. The contract to the winning bidders should be given in June. Construction will be allowed to start after that. Opening date still is maintained in 2020.

REM project call for tenders: selection process and protection of confidential information

Quote:
MONTRÉAL, Feb. 14, 2017 /CNW Telbec/ - Following the announcement of the consortia that qualified for the calls for tenders of the Réseau électrique métropolitain project (REM), la Caisse today outlines the process that will lead to the selection of the winning bidders, and the measures put in place to protect confidential information.

Completed and upcoming steps

In December 2016, companies and consortia that qualified for the EPC (infrastructure engineering, procurement and construction) and RSSOM (provision of rolling stock, systems and operation and maintenance services) contracts signed agreements with CDPQ Infra giving them access to all tendering documents.

These documents, as well as technical information meetings with CDPQ Infra experts, will enable them to prepare their bids over the next few months. Selection of the bidders will take place in the weeks following submission of complete proposals. Construction will begin thereafter, ensuring operation of the first trains by the end of 2020.

Selection process

As a shareholder of companies involved in the REM call for tenders, it is critical that la Caisse provide for a clear and rigorous selection process to ensure the integrity of CDPQ Infra's decisions. La Caisse must also prevent its investment teams from receiving confidential information from CDPQ Infra concerning companies involved in the calls for tenders.

Several measures have therefore been adopted to ensure the full integrity of CDPQ Infra's selection process, which will result in the selection of the best proposals.

This process will involve:

The creation of an independent committee on the probity and integrity of the process (the Independent Committee), comprised of three members external to CDPQ Infra and la Caisse – Me William J. Atkinson, Ph.D., Ad. E., the Honourable Me Marie Deschamps, C.C., Ad. E., former justice of the Supreme Court of Canada and corporate director, and Jean-Pierre Desrosiers, FCPA, FCA, corporate director – that will supervise the process. (Short biographical notes of the Independent Committee members are included in the Appendix to this release). The Independent Committee will receive the recommendations of the selection committee and the final report of the external auditors, and will have the responsibility of ensuring the integrity and probity of the tendering process. In order to avoid any possibility or appearance of conflict of interest, the Independent Committee will receive and analyze the recommendations of the selection committee and the external auditors' report, and will be responsible for validating the process leading to the selection of the chosen bidders. The Independent Committee's opinion is final and made public by CDPQ Infra.

Evaluation committees, made up of experts that will perform detailed analyses of different aspects of the proposals – engineering, rolling stock, construction, legal and financial, etc. – and that will forward their recommendations to the selection committee.

A selection committee, made up of three experts, that will select bidders based on the recommendations of the evaluation committees.

Two external auditors – Knowles Consultancy for the EPC contract, and André Dumais, fairness auditor, for the RSSOM contract – will monitor the selection process for each contract and attest to its integrity. These auditors will attend all committee meetings and will be included in all exchanges between CDPQ Infra and bidders.

To view the selection process governance structure, click on the following link

To prevent any attempt to influence their decisions, the membership of technical committees (evaluation committees and selection committee) will remain confidential. The membership of the Independent Committee, in charge of validating the integrity of the process, is made public to avoid any appearance of a conflict of interest. All proposals and related documents, and the documentation related to deliberations on the different committees, will be kept in reserved premises outside the offices of CDPQ Infra and la Caisse. Finally, all meetings of the evaluation committees, the selection committee and the Independent Committee will be held in these premises, to which access is extremely limited and continuously monitored.

Protection of confidential information

In accordance with its code of ethics and industry best practices, la Caisse has implemented a series of measures intended to prevent any exchange of confidential information between its investment teams and CDPQ Infra. These measures, adopted by la Caisse's Board of Directors and detailed in a directive available on its website, include the following:

Investment teams are restricted from communicating, disclosing or sharing with CDPQ Infra any confidential information concerning companies in which la Caisse invests or considers investing;
Investment teams are restricted from soliciting any information from CDPQ Infra relating to companies involved in the calls for tenders;
Physical segregation of CDPQ Infra staff and files into separate offices with access strictly controlled by keycard;
Training for employees subject to the directive, focusing on the nature of confidential information, restrictions on its transmission and use, as well as on the legal consequences of violating these rules, including internal disciplinary measures, disciplinary procedures by securities commissions, civil liability, penal and criminal responsibility;
Mandatory acknowledgement by employees subject to the directive of the rules on the protection of confidential information and of compliance with restrictions on the communication and solicitation of confidential information about companies in which la Caisse holds an interest.

A similar directive has been adopted and implemented by CDPQ Infra and is available on CDPQ Infra's website.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 5:42 PM

Quote:
If LRT will have sufficient capacity for 50 years and can be placed to a great degree in its own right of way, why not?

What Calgary has done has been enormously successful and there will likely never be the density outside of downtown to justify a metro. Their solution to existing LRT congestion is build another line. More cities should be choosing that option to bring rapid transit closer to more of the population.
The solution is simple : if urban planning would be a thing in Canada, ROW could be reserved for a metro (akin to Ottawa Confederation Line and Montreal REM). There is no justification why it's not done this way, as it was done a century ago. Bringing rapid transit to built sectors is a colossal waste of money that could be easily be fixed.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 8:55 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Because Buses could handle the capacity for the first 40 of those years, and then Metro the last ten, but instead the investment in LRT likely delays the Metro by an extra decade or two as the city has 'already invested' and the transit system is much less flexible than buses would have been.
Quote:
And many of them are very questionable. LRT/Streetcars have uses, but as supplements to Metro's in large cores. Before that they're just an added expense and delay on the metro.
Quote:
And what Ottawa did with buses was more successful (the Ottawa's municipal population is quite a bit lower than Calgary's, yet OC transpo has basically the same ridership, the impact from the O-train being negligible).

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 8:59 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Because Buses could handle the capacity for the first 40 of those years, and then Metro the last ten, but instead the investment in LRT likely delays the Metro by an extra decade or two as the city has 'already invested' and the transit system is much less flexible than buses would have been.
For sure. I do have a big problem with LRT costs over buses, and the imbalance with the cost/benefit ratio there. But my biggest problems is that LRT doesn't delay metros; it removes the possibility of them ever happening. It's one thing to let the perfect be the enemy of the good, but here I think the good prevents the perfect from occurring at all.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada