HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Oct 31, 2012, 8:35 PM

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Holt+Re...663/story.html

Quote:

Holt Renfrew, ‘discount’ division
Upscale retailer to target wider audience with new line of outlets

OTTAWA — Iconic upscale Canadian fashion store Holt Renfrew has announced it will soon open a “discount” retailer that aims to bring high fashion to a broader audience.

Called “hr2,” the new stores will be between 25,000 and 30,000 square feet, smaller than traditional Holt Renfrew locations and designed in a more open concept style to help shoppers find the products they are looking for. Most current Holt Renfrew stores are between 60,000 and 80,000 square feet.

“We can deliver this new concept because of the strong and enduring relationships we have with the world’s leading brands,” said Heather Arts, vice-president of hr2. “The brands we’re partnering with are thrilled to be involved with this new initiative. The depth and breadth of their brand portfolios is impressive. Not all of it fits within the Holt Renfrew luxury model.”

Both hr2 and Holt Renfrew will offer the same brands, but the products supplied to hr2 will be different to prevent competition between the new retailer and its parent. Prices will also be lower to attract a different clientele.

The first hr2 will open in the Montreal area community of Brossard early next year. The company said a second store will open in Ontario soon afterward, but it would not offer specifics on that store’s location or how many other outlets are planned. There are nine Holt Renfrew stores across Canada, including an Ottawa outlet at 240 Sparks St..

Holt Renfrew is privately owned by Wittington Fashion Retail Group, a company chaired by W. Galen Weston, who also sits as chair of the board of Loblaw owner George Weston Ltd.

The hr2 announcement follows a September announcement that Holt Renfrew will update and expand its existing stores. The retail chain is preparing for the arrival of American competitors such as Nordstrom, which is scheduled to open at Ottawa’s Rideau Centre in 2015. Nordstrom offers many of the brands and products available at Holt Renfrew. Other new rivals coming into Canada include Ann Taylor and even Target. It also must deal with a revitalized Hudson’s Bay Co., which threatens to take away some of its business.

Holt Renfrew doesn’t report its sales publicly, but estimates put its annual sales at about $800 million.

“This is pre-emptive,” Barry Nabatian, director of market research at Shore Tanner & Associates, said of the hr2 plans. “Holt Renfrew is perceived to be exclusive, even more than Harry Rosen. They know that market is thin. They don’t want the mass market, but they want more of the upper market.”

Nabatian said the “discount” label being tied to the new hr2 stores is a bit misleading. Discount retailers such as TJX, which owns Winners and Marshalls, cater to a mass audience with low prices, but hr2 will not be following that model.

“The term discount is relative,” Nabatian said. “It’s not really discount. But for Holt, it’s discounted.”

According to researcher the NDP Group, off-price fashion retail is one of Canada’s fastest growing apparel segments.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Holt+Re...#ixzz2AuXtRoz0

Old Posted Nov 8, 2012, 1:46 PM

A new Joe Fresh standalone store is under construction at the St-Laurent centre. It is relatively big, I would guess about 2-3 regular (for that mall) sized stores. I believe this is the first Joe Fresh that is not part of a Loblaws/Superstore in Ottawa.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2012, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
A new Joe Fresh standalone store is under construction at the St-Laurent centre. It is relatively big, I would guess about 2-3 regular (for that mall) sized stores. I believe this is the first Joe Fresh that is not part of a Loblaws/Superstore in Ottawa.
That's gonna attract a lot of people. Where is it being built exactly?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2012, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I thought I heard they were going to do it in the US, but alright then. It's good to seperated from the grocery stores; It's seems weird to buy your clothes at the same place you buy your food.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2012, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
That's gonna attract a lot of people. Where is it being built exactly?
I'm fairly certain it is being built where Fairweather was a few stores down from Sears next to Guess

Old Posted Nov 8, 2012, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I thought I heard they were going to do it in the US, but alright then. It's good to seperated from the grocery stores; It's seems weird to buy your clothes at the same place you buy your food.
They already have one on Fifth Avenue. Mike Bloomberg called Joe Fresh the best Canadian import since Justin Beiber. When I went to Mississauga last Christmas they already had a stand alone Joe Fresh in Heartland.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2012, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
They already have one on Fifth Avenue. Mike Bloomberg called Joe Fresh the best Canadian import since Justin Beiber. When I went to Mississauga last Christmas they already had a stand alone Joe Fresh in Heartland.
Realy!? I didn't know they already started to open the stand alones.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I'm fairly certain it is being built where Fairweather was a few stores down from Sears next to Guess
Makes me wonder if they will open in the Rideau Centre, taking over from Fairweather that has "lease expired" sales on.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 12:56 PM

Yes. It is next to West 49, near Sears. (in St. Laurent).

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 2:27 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

According to LeDroit, Simons is now looking at Les Promenades de l'Outaouais after being shut out by both Rideau Centre and St. Laurent, which were its first choices for a store in the region.

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-droit/econ...promenades.php

Old Posted Nov 10, 2012, 5:02 PM

Promenades de l'Outaouais looking to expand. Oxford properties is looking to do so from here to 3-4 years from now. They also say something about kicking out the feds from the small office building on the south side of the mall and the possible re-location of the food court (so safe to say the expansion would be at the south/east corner of the mall).

Article in French only;

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-droit/econ...6_article_POS2

Old Posted Nov 10, 2012, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Realy!? I didn't know they already started to open the stand alones.
they opened in vancouver about two years ago - across from holt renfrew on granville street - much better selection in it than the grocery store ones

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Promenades de l'Outaouais looking to expand. Oxford properties is looking to do so from here to 3-4 years from now. They also say something about kicking out the feds from the small office building on the south side of the mall and the possible re-location of the food court (so safe to say the expansion would be at the south/east corner of the mall).

Article in French only;

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-droit/econ...6_article_POS2
I don't think that there any government offices in that small office tower on the south side of the mall. I believe those are only professional offices (lawyer, dentist etc..). The government offices are the taxation offices on the north side of the mall facing Maloney. That combined with the now vacated spaces from the Mega Furniture Store could be put together to make some valuable retail space.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 8:11 PM

The Mierin's family is doing some Car Dealership shuffling in the next couple of years.
Ogilvie Motors Subaru and Elite BMW at St. Laurent and Ogilvie will be torn down and then Elite BMW will be rebuilt as a much larger BMW store. Ogilvie Motors Subaru will be moved across the highway (and presumably renamed) right behind Bytek Volkswagen. The permit sign is up at this site. Here are the two sites.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 8:19 PM

Wow, where will I have my car serviced in the meantime!?!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 8:45 PM

If it's a Beemer you'll have to make the trek to Otto's on Hunt Club. They have great service. For Scooby-doo there's Otto's in Westboro.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelKazan View Post
I don't think that there any government offices in that small office tower on the south side of the mall. I believe those are only professional offices (lawyer, dentist etc..). The government offices are the taxation offices on the north side of the mall facing Maloney. That combined with the now vacated spaces from the Mega Furniture Store could be put together to make some valuable retail space.
That makes more sense, thanks for the clarification.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
The Mierin's family is doing some Car Dealership shuffling in the next couple of years.
Ogilvie Motors Subaru and Elite BMW at St. Laurent and Ogilvie will be torn down and then Elite BMW will be rebuilt as a much larger BMW store. Ogilvie Motors Subaru will be moved across the highway (and presumably renamed) right behind Bytek Volkswagen. The permit sign is up at this site. Here are the two sites.

I guess they're preparing for the major rezoning of the area.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 5:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelKazan View Post
I was thinking that if Simons went there they would build an addition onto the south side of the mall (the chemin de la Savane side) where there is lots of space and excess parking, plus they will likely get back space from the STO bus stops when the Rapibus is operational.

But this front (Maloney) side might also do the trick. And if I was Simons that's the side I would want to be on because Maloney has way more traffic than de la Savane. Although they'd likely have to make do with the space that is there as there is not much space to expand as the parking section between that entrance and the road (Maloney) is already slim to begin with.

Simons tends to build stores in the 100,000 square foot range. Which is about the size of the ground floor of the two-floor Bay store at Les Promenades. The Revenue Canada offices plus the vacant Méga Meubles are probably pretty close to that size together.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
Wow, where will I have my car serviced in the meantime!?!
Ogilvie motors owns/has the old Acadia Motors site near St. Laurent and Montreal Rd. They ran their Mercedes-Benz service centre out of that building while they renovated the service department at that dealership. They did a fair amount of renovations on it beforehand.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=45.44148...,65.95,,0,2.35

As an aside, it has never really seemed to bother them that the Mercedes-Benz component of Ogilvie Motors was not on Ogilvie road anymore. I doubt it will be an issue with Subaru, although it is getting further away.

Near-by Mark Motors is splitting Audi from Porche - Audi going down near Ogilvie Motors territory...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy