HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I'm pulling for Detroit, would be great to see them take another one. Would also be a great end to Lidstrom's career.
yeah, if there's one player in the NHL that needs more awards, it's Lidstrom.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 4:36 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
I'm pulling for Detroit, would be great to see them take another one. Would also be a great end to Lidstrom's career.
I don't know why, but I find Detroit to be the dullest team in the show. So many other teams would be more exciting to watch win the cup. Detroit is always good, but never spectacular. It's a boring narrative.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 5:17 PM
Editor

Quote:
That should pretty much do it for the Flames, time to practise that golf swing boys.
Yup...finito Benito for the Flames.

A few questions for next season....Who will be coaching? Which players will be shown the door. Feaster will be looking for changes this summer.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 5:19 PM
Editor

I'm thinking the King might be a team that could upset someone. They haven't been scoring, but they sure know how to smother a team when they get the lead. They've also been winning, despite getting nothing out of Carter and Richards. If those guys came alive...look out.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 5:23 PM
Go Chiefs!

Pierre Gauthier and Bob Gainey fired!!!!

Great decision by Molson.
Quote:
Pierre Gauthier's tenure as general manager of the Montreal Canadiens is over, as Canadiens owner and team president Geoff Molson announced on Thursday that the club has relieved him of his duties.

"We need to remember that our fans want us to win, period," Molson told reporters at the team's practice facility in Brossard. "Our organizational culture is to support and adopt this passion for victory. Nothing else matters."
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=391671

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 5:36 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post

A few questions for next season....Who will be coaching? Which players will be shown the door. Feaster will be looking for changes this summer.

"“You know what? I look forward to the Battle of Alberta for the next X number of years. If the idea is, ‘Burn it to the ground,’ then (Flames president) Ken (King) can find another manager to do it.”

Feasters comment earlier this year when asked about rebuilding and following Edmontons path.

I wonder If he wishes he didnt say that.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 5:48 PM

'Tis a shame the Flames miss out again, but probably for the better of the franchise. I think we saw playing young players instead of old bums is actually probably better.

Meanwhile it's playoff preparations as usual in Vancouver.

Courtesy hollywoodnorth

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 5:57 PM
DRINK

hahahahaahahahahahah.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 6:01 PM

Quote:

I bet Sutter will be back as coach next year.

As for the players, most of the core group will be back, but there will probably be one or two gone. Jokinen, Sarich, Hannan, Comeau, Stempniak, Moss all have their contracts expire this season and most will probably not be back. Jokinen will probably want to stay, same with Sarich. Jokinen earned his money this year, but no way Sarich did. I would expect Baertschi and Nemisz to make the team no problem next year, not sure about the other young guys. Feaster will either have to land a big free agent, or make some creative trades to avoid missing the playoffs for a 4th year next year.

http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=9

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 6:16 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
While I'm not one to be certain in my own predictions, I find it amusing that everyone is convinced Calgary is going to miss the playoffs. This is a team that went 13 games above .500 in their last 44 (24-11-9). The team that lost themselves a playoff spot in November was nowhere to be seen for the last half of the season.

Obviously anything's possible, but barring a dramatic collapse they stand a fairly good chance of hitting 100 points this year.
24-11-9 isn't 13 games above .500. Loser points are still loses 24-20 is 4 games above .500.

There was no dramatic collapse, but the Flames aren't a playoff hockey team.

Feaster knows it. "If we were to trade 34," said Feaster in reference to Kiprusoff's jersey number, "is there a position lower than 30th? Because if we were to trade 34, we'd be sub-30, whatever number that is in a 30-team league." http://www.tsn.ca/story/print/?id=388781

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 6:31 PM

I bet I could go back and find a bunch of posts from Oiler fans predicting their team would make the playoffs too, but what's the point? Some of us don't need to make ourselves feel better by point out that other teams didn't make the playoffs too.

grow up feepa.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 6:44 PM
Editor

No GM is ever purposely going to go Edmonton's route for rebuilding...

Remember the first year the Oilers finished dead last, they had signed guys like Khabibulin and Penner with the intention of competing, but injuries help them into a last place finish and a change in plans.

There's no guarantee that finishing at the bottom will get you a cup or even make you competitive, and there's also cases of teams that are competitive for years even though they don't get high draft picks. It all comes down to management and scouting. I look back at Cliff Fletcher and the team he built through the 80's via trades and draft even though they never had any high picks.

Teams like New Jersey, Vancouver or Detroit have built without having to blow up a team. Conversely you've got teams like Columbus, Atlanta and NY Islanders that have each had a couple of first overall picks...not to mention sloughs of other high first rounders......

Edmonton will likely do better then those guys as Hall, Eberle and co, look to be legitimate stars, but I don't believe blowing up a team is necessarily the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
"“You know what? I look forward to the Battle of Alberta for the next X number of years. If the idea is, ‘Burn it to the ground,’ then (Flames president) Ken (King) can find another manager to do it.”

Feasters comment earlier this year when asked about rebuilding and following Edmontons path.

I wonder If he wishes he didnt say that.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 6:51 PM

Quote:
No GM is ever purposely going to go Edmonton's route for rebuilding...

Remember the first year the Oilers finished dead last, they had signed guys like Khabibulin and Penner with the intention of competing, but injuries help them into a last place finish and a change in plans.

There's no guarantee that finishing at the bottom will get you a cup or even make you competitive, and there's also cases of teams that are competitive for years even though they don't get high draft picks. It all comes down to management and scouting. I look back at Cliff Fletcher and the team he built through the 80's via trades and draft even though they never had any high picks.

Teams like New Jersey, Vancouver or Detroit have built without having to blow up a team. Conversely you've got teams like Columbus, Atlanta and NY Islanders that have each had a couple of first overall picks...not to mention sloughs of other high first rounders......

Edmonton will likely do better then those guys as Hall, Eberle and co, look to be legitimate stars, but I don't believe blowing up a team is necessarily the answer.
amen

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 7:18 PM
Change is good

The rebuild only started 2 years ago...

No GM is going to go the Edmonton route of rebuilding? Really? Cause Edmonton is following Chicago, Pittsburgh, Washington...

Columbus, Atlanta and NY Islanders have all traded away there really good draft picks... The islanders are purposely killing their team... Columbus seems to like shooting theirselves in the foot.

What exactly is the plan for Calgary for the last 6 years? Calgary fans like to pick on Edmonton... but where are the flames headed? They seem like a team without direction... kinda waffling in the mediocrity... 10th/9th/8th place team... like the Oilers were before 05-06. Not good enough to be a playoff threat, but not bad enough to rebuild... mediocrity.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 7:23 PM
Change is good

Quote:
I bet I could go back and find a bunch of posts from Oiler fans predicting their team would make the playoffs too, but what's the point? Some of us don't need to make ourselves feel better by point out that other teams didn't make the playoffs too.

grow up feepa.
Someone earlier in this thread called for the Oilers to have 104 pts... HAAHHA..

Grow up? I'm just talking Hockey here... if you don't like it, turn the other cheek.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 7:38 PM
Editor

I said no GM is purposely going to go the Edmonton route.

Obviously Calgary's plan in the last 6 years hasn't worked, but that was with a different GM. The discussion was around, what Feaster would do. He said he wouldn't blow up the team.....and as I said no GM is purposely going to divebomb to the bottom to start a rebuild.

Yes...it's worked for Pittsburgh and Chicago (not necessarily Washington), and as I mentioned in my post, it hasn't worked for Atlanta, Columbus or the Islanders. It doesn't matter that they traded the players away, even more stresses the point about good mgmt. Ottawa had three first overall picks, and none really panned out to be great players. Alfredsson their longtime best player was a 10th round pick.

Building a team only through high draft picks is still a crap shoot. Management and scouting is what it's all about. What direction are the Flames going? Feaster hasn't been in long enough to know, but so far he is much more interested in younger players than Sutter was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
The rebuild only started 2 years ago...

No GM is going to go the Edmonton route of rebuilding? Really? Cause Edmonton is following Chicago, Pittsburgh, Washington...

Columbus, Atlanta and NY Islanders have all traded away there really good draft picks... The islanders are purposely killing their team... Columbus seems to like shooting theirselves in the foot.

What exactly is the plan for Calgary for the last 6 years? Calgary fans like to pick on Edmonton... but where are the flames headed? They seem like a team without direction... kinda waffling in the mediocrity... 10th/9th/8th place team... like the Oilers were before 05-06. Not good enough to be a playoff threat, but not bad enough to rebuild... mediocrity.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 7:51 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
24-11-9 isn't 13 games above .500. Loser points are still loses 24-20 is 4 games above .500.
If you get 1 of a possible 2 points, that's .500.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 8:04 PM

Quote:
The islanders are purposely killing their team...
Yeah, it's weird. The Islanders have usually drafted really well, but they have horrible asset management.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 8:07 PM

I'd trade Kiprusoff for Tavares

Paging Mike Milbury... you're needed as GM of the Isles again.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 8:30 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
I said no GM is purposely going to go the Edmonton route.
The only reason Edmonton went that route was because the management was changing hands, just like with Chicago and Pittsburgh. I would not advise Calgary doing it, but there might be a good collapse year when Kiprusoff and Iginla are 38 or over to get a nice stud for the next generation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada