HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 10:05 PM
the goggles do nothing

Anyone know how to pull up thread stats? I.E. Post ranking for a specific thread. 0.22 posts per day and proud maybe 0.23 now.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 10:56 PM

.39 posts per day...I guess I lurk...but as a rat it's hard to type

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 11:20 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
OMG we're all going to die!!! Everyone panic!!!

To put this in perspective, The Centers for Disease Control estimates 36,000 people die annually in the United States from the flu. That's the regular flu, not the fancy swine flu or Mexican flu as they like to call it in Israel.

Back to panicking.
It's not like it's contained yet and Mexicans do speak ... umm... Spanish. AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 12:12 AM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
He's still a badass.
Yeah! I heard that he was in the X-Games!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
I'll start off by asking a weird question.

If one wanted to sit in on a criminal trial, how would one find out when and where the trial would be occuring?
Just go down to the courthouse and there will be a list of trials on the docket. You can sit in any ony trial you like...and can come an go as you please. You might not be able to sit in on a high-profile case (Paul Bernardo types), but for the most part the courtrooms are deserted.

Sit in on one, and if it isn't very interesting, move on to the next one. You can usually find a good one. My buddy and I used to go down there when we were in University...it was good, cheap entertainment.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 5:08 PM

Cool photo thread on the construction of the Empire State Building. I'm amazed that only 5 construction workers died during it's construction:

http://www.life.com/image/3199737/in...g-made-by-hand

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 10:24 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I just wanna say, shame on you guys for not supporting the Canucks.

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 1:02 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
I just wanna say, shame on you guys for not supporting the Canucks.
Who's not supporting the Canucks?

My entire spring social calendar revolves around "when the last Canadian team is knocked out of the playoffs".

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 1:29 PM

Nevermind.

Last edited by frinkprof; May 23, 2010 at 2:51 AM.

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 1:31 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

It's a laugh fest in that thread right now.

Hey Innersoul, do you cheer for Liverpool if Man U gets the boot? Same shit different sport!

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 2:58 PM
Home of Hyperchange

frink, interesting opinion, but we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Some of us have been cheering for Canadian teams a lot longer than others, and we'll leave it at that. Your perception may have changed in the 90s though - as Canada lost one more franchise than it gained 2 entire cities lost their home team and their fans never really settled.

I will say one thing though - there's a whole range of fan, from "only ever cheer for one team because that's who I picked when I was 8 and I was born there", to "I love the sport so much I can actually cheer for a lot of different players and teams". And many shades of grey in between.

Those of us who swing towards the latter have always been here, we're just nowhere near as vocal as the "OMG you bandwagon traitor, how can you cheer for anyone but the ONE TRUE TEAM" types.

I guess I'm a stereotypical bandwagonner in many people's eyes - I attend 15-20 live games a season, I watch another 100-150 on TV, and each round of the playoffs who I'm cheering for may change completely. The guys I loved in the first round may be my most hated enemy in the next.

I watch, and follow, a LOT of hockey. When you really truly love a sport, it's not about "your team" anymore. It's about loving the game itself, and the rivalries are just one small component of it. In my mind, people who stop watching the playoffs just because "their team" got knocked out aren't really hockey fans at all - they're just fans of a logo.

And I'll STILL cheer for any Canadian team (except the Leaves) over an American team. Stuff that in your pipe, Bettman.

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Cool photo thread on the construction of the Empire State Building. I'm amazed that only 5 construction workers died during it's construction:

http://www.life.com/image/3199737/in...g-made-by-hand
This is a fantastic gallery... I would have believed that a stiff wind would just suck people off the edge on a regular basis.

On a side note -- the LIFE.com website was developed right here in Calgary! A hardworking team of developers, led by an incredibly handsome and talented director of software development (yours truly) put this together working with teams in Seattle and New York. Now you know what happens in the Local Motive building!

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danma View Post
This is a fantastic gallery... I would have believed that a stiff wind would just suck people off the edge on a regular basis.

On a side note -- the LIFE.com website was developed right here in Calgary! A hardworking team of developers, led by an incredibly handsome and talented director of software development (yours truly) put this together working with teams in Seattle and New York. Now you know what happens in the Local Motive building!
Nice work. Kudos. So you're with iStock?

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 4:41 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Freeweed, I cheer for other teams, just not rivals. So, in that case, go Chicago!

Now I'm hoping for a Chicago-Washington Final, though Boston would also suffice.

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 7:50 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

I cheer for all the Canadian teams. Including the Leafs. Including the Habs, whom I otherwise despise.

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 9:32 PM
Fake News

I just can't bring myself to cheer for the Sedin sisters and Chongo Luongo.

In any case, Chicago probably has more Canadian players and more native Albertans than Van. Also, Chicago is a damn good team. I'm not bitter towards them the way I was San Jose, who I knew would lose the next round anyway and basically had the refs int heir pocket the whole time.

Go Hawks!

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 9:47 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
It's a laugh fest in that thread right now.

Hey Innersoul, do you cheer for Liverpool if Man U gets the boot? Same shit different sport!
You will never hear me raise my voice for a scouser unless it's to tell 'em to sod off!

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 9:50 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Truth is that I absolutely hate the Canucks, moreso than Edmonton, can't bring myself to cheer for them at all.

What kills me about Canucks fans is how cockey they are (obviously not all). But on Facebook I always have friends who are nucks fans write stupid S%$t on my wall. ALWAYS. It's like Canucks fans feel the need to defend themselves constantly by trash talking as a means of legitimizing their team.

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 9:55 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

As a friend of Innersoul's on Facebook I can confirm his comments about his nuck fan friends. They always have to throw their terrible two cents in.

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 11:00 PM
Home of Hyperchange

I think that might say more about his friends than all Canuck fans as a whole.

Just the other day I got into a huge argument with a guy from (where else) Edmonton - his claim was that all Flames fans are the biggest haters in the world, and people in Calgary are incapable of cheering for other Canadian teams. Unlike every other city where everyone gets behind whatever Canadian team goes the furthest every year.

I just smiled and nodded. Again, it said a lot more about his friends than anything else.

Don't judge a city from your select few friends - and conversely don't pre-judge your friends based on the city they're from.

PS: Canuck fans are just insecure because they're the least successful Canadian franchise, ever. Even the Sens have done as much as the Canucks, and they've been around not even half as long. And I say this as a Jets fan, who formerly held that title.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation