HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 5:07 PM
Honored Member

A hipster is anyone who wears skinny jeans, a fitted flannel shirt (as opposed to the loose-fitting grunge flannel from the 90's), black framed glasses and thinks he isn't a hipster.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 8:25 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
What the hell is a hipster, anyways? Is there a consensus definition? Or would be too un-hipster to have a consensus anything?
That sort of term doesn't have a static definition. English doesn't work that way.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 9:19 PM

This thread got shut down on SSC for being City vs City. That was never my intention, so I apologize to any administrator or moderator for posting this on SSP as well. It was just a way to discuss another facet of a city, hipster culture.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 10:21 PM
International

LOL, "hipsters." So 2009. Anyways, IMO, the most "hipster" cities/areas in the country are Portland, Brooklyn, and the areas that form a crescent around Dodger Stadium in LA (I call it the "Dodger Belt"). Outside of America, Berlin and London are the two big ones.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 10:53 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Hipsterism is flattening out. The peaks arent as...Williamsburgy circa 2002, the smaller cities (I'll use my own) have become more hipster, even though it's not a hipster magnet. But I mean we have the pin ball bars, and a dedicated hipster street and Australian meat pies, and shit. We didn't 5 years ago.

I think that's the biggest trend of the past 5 years (smaller cities taking a bigger slice of hipsterdom, even if it's still small), but it is obscured in OMG WHERE THE NEXT HIPSTER CITY.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 4:57 AM

Nashville might be the interesting new interior city of it.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Sharon Needles is the embodiment of today's Pittsburgh.
Really? Because, on RPDR, she has talked repeatedly about being a pariah in the city's gay scene.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
Really? Because, on RPDR, she has talked repeatedly about being a pariah in the city's gay scene.
It's true that she has been ignored by the primary gay scene, but that gives her more cred as being the embodiment of new Pittsburgh. From my perspective as a gay man here, the mainstream gay crowd really has nothing to do with what is driving the new Pittsburgh. They can actually be pretty insular at times, keeping to themselves, and they show a strange aversion to the arts community. The weirdo arts community, at least. They rarely venture to any of the transitional East End neighborhoods where most of the cool stuff is happening (and where Sharon's home bar is in Lawrenceville). The people actually doing the heavy lifting in Pittsburgh are the ones in the alternative scenes, and that's where Sharon's big following comes from. You will see Sharon booked at the largest art fundraiser party in the city, but not at our pride fest. It's kind of a shame, but there are distinctly different queer scenes here anyway so it's not a huge deal. Especially because the alternative queer scene here has grown enormously over the past few years and now has it's own weight.

Last edited by AaronPGH; Apr 9, 2012 at 12:14 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
It's true that she has been ignored by the primary gay scene, but that gives her more cred as being the embodiment of new Pittsburgh. From my perspective as a gay man here, the mainstream gay crowd really has nothing to do with what is driving the new Pittsburgh. They can actually be pretty insular at times, keeping to themselves, and they show a strange aversion to the arts community. The weirdo arts community, at least. They rarely venture to any of the transitional East End neighborhoods where most of the cool stuff is happening (and where Sharon's home bar is in Lawrenceville). The people actually doing the heavy lifting in Pittsburgh are the ones in the alternative scenes, and that's where Sharon's big following comes from. You will see Sharon booked at the largest art fundraiser party in the city, but not at our pride fest. It's kind of a shame, but there are distinctly different queer scenes here anyway so it's not a huge deal. Especially because the alternative queer scene here has grown enormously over the past few years and now has it's own weight.
Fascinating. Thanks for the explanation!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 8:05 PM
<-- Chicago's roots.

From where I've been, I wouldn't rank them, especially not for the big diverse cities. It would be a lesson in futility. I would put them into different categories however....

Sheer numbers/different neighborhoods: LA, Bay Area, NYC, Chicago, Toronto, Montreal

Smaller, but significant: Boston, DC, New Orleans, Vancouver

High percentage of population: Seattle, Portland, Austin

Emerging: Philly, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Baltimore

Common - Resurrection (Video Mix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmOd0GKuztE

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 2:34 AM

Hipsters are nothing more than fashion nerds.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 4:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
Hipsterism is flattening out. The peaks arent as...Williamsburgy circa 2002, the smaller cities (I'll use my own) have become more hipster, even though it's not a hipster magnet. But I mean we have the pin ball bars, and a dedicated hipster street and Australian meat pies, and shit. We didn't 5 years ago.

I think that's the biggest trend of the past 5 years (smaller cities taking a bigger slice of hipsterdom, even if it's still small), but it is obscured in OMG WHERE THE NEXT HIPSTER CITY.

I don't think it is flattening out - I think it is getting more saturated, avid and more graphic. When I watch "our" hipsters in Vancouver it is pretty clear that they are getting bored with this fad so they are discovering new ways how to look even more "hip" (using the word hip in this case is somehow not even effective), but in the eyes of a normal person they are just getting more and more ridiculous.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
What the hell is a hipster, anyways? Is there a consensus definition? Or would be too un-hipster to have a consensus anything?

I'll add, anybody who wears skinny jeans in the Caribbean is just an idiot. Yikes, you'd cook in that tropical heat. What does a tropical hipster wear, I wonder?
I think that by the time someone defines "hipster" or where they hang out - it's already over.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 8:21 PM
Ex Houstonian

In my experience traveling around America I find some of the smaller towns and cities have more visible and authentic hipster scenes. Take Lawrence, Kansas for example. Ive never seen a higher percentage of hipsters per capita than in any other city. I was there in the summer of 2010 though, kinda the peak of hipsterism, maybe its changed there but I doubt it. Little Rock, Arkansas also has a pretty visible hipster scene, more so than Houston for example.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 12:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by orderlychaos View Post
/\/\/\ Got to love that Sharon Needles!
Who the hell is Sharon Needles?

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 2:00 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Box View Post
^I don't necessarily think that all hipsters have to ascribe to pretending or actually being authentic because they want to slum it hardcore. The idea of hipster is so mainstream that it also involves people who want to make money at their cool high paying job. Buy a $1500 custom-designed bicycle, purchase single-estate origin beans for $18.00/lb, shop organic without flinching and live in a well established neighborhood that fits the nice bill.
That sounds more like a "hip" yuppie to me...

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 2:32 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
Outside of America, Berlin and London are the two big ones.

ahem.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 3:05 PM

Where's Ahem, Turkey?

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 3:13 PM
video et taceo

yeah, turkey

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
That sounds more like a "hip" yuppie to me...
"Hip" + "YUPPY" = Hippy???

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions