HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerF View Post
Pinkie at #1 highway no longer looks like that either.
Nope not even close!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
I'm not sure a 2 billion dollar project should be used as a test lab like this. It sounds as if the Arcola interchange will be a big cluster****.

The Dewdney Ave. interchange is also poorly designed but that may be to lessen traffic entering the city on that road.
They put the 9th Ave N interchange too close to Pinkie Rd and screwed that up too.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
They put the 9th Ave N interchange too close to Pinkie Rd and screwed that up too.
I think pinky road should lose the bridge over the creek and the major arterial to Dewdney within the City should be Courtney. Makes more sense than pinky.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
I think pinky road should lose the bridge over the creek and the major arterial to Dewdney within the City should be Courtney. Makes more sense than pinky.
That's what it's going to default to anyway, but it'll be ridiculously expensive since it'll need 3 maybe 4 bridges, whereas Pinkie is 1.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 2:52 PM

Many of us have seen the massive girders for the Bypass either rolling down the highway or being craned place. These I-beam girders look like concrete but seem too thin to be concrete. Today on Twitter there was a tweet from the manufacturer. It turns out they are concrete but highly engineered. At this link you'll find their technical brochure.

http://files.armtec.com/Downloads/Ca...-2013-02-E.pdf

https://twitter.com/search?q=armtec&src=typd&lang=en

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Many of us have seen the massive girders for the Bypass either rolling down the highway or being craned place. These I-beam girders look like concrete but seem too thin to be concrete. Today on Twitter there was a tweet from the manufacturer. It turns out they are concrete but highly engineered. At this link you'll find their technical brochure.

http://files.armtec.com/Downloads/Ca...-2013-02-E.pdf

https://twitter.com/search?q=armtec&src=typd&lang=en
I'm sure it's all very engineered, but it just reminds me of all the problems that came up with post-tensioned buildings in the past.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
I'm sure it's all very engineered, but it just reminds me of all the problems that came up with post-tensioned buildings in the past.
The good news is that maintenance is the responsibility of the consortium for at least 30 years.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 3:43 PM

Quote:
The good news is that maintenance is the responsibility of the consortium for at least 30 years.
Just a question, but is it possible for the groups involve to absolve themselves of liability in any way? For example, if new incorporated entities were created to protect the original companies?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
Just a question, but is it possible for the groups involve to absolve themselves of liability in any way? For example, if new incorporated entities were created to protect the original companies?
We've had this discussion before and most people here were convinced the province had covered their bases. I'm much more skeptical as they government sucks at contracts. To answer your question directly, yes entities were created directly for this.

Additionally, literally nothing would protect us if all the represented companies folded. Yes control would revert to the province, but we'd still be holding the bag.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 12:54 AM

Quote:
There are parent company guarantees. Also payments are over 30 years so they risk not getting paid if they default.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 2:06 AM

Quote:
There are parent company guarantees. Also payments are over 30 years so they risk not getting paid if they default.
If they are able to default and only a newly-incorporated entity fails (and the people/companies involved in creating it get away) then they wouldn't even care about not getting paid. It's like if you set up an incorporated company as an individual and it loses a bunch of money: It can go bankrupt but you as an individual aren't affected, and any debts it owes (or any responsibilities) won't affect you.

That is what I am worried about with projects like this, that since they set up new companies to handle it, the original people involved are protected, and the public could be left on the hook if they fail.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 3:32 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
If they are able to default and only a newly-incorporated entity fails (and the people/companies involved in creating it get away) then they wouldn't even care about not getting paid. It's like if you set up an incorporated company as an individual and it loses a bunch of money: It can go bankrupt but you as an individual aren't affected, and any debts it owes (or any responsibilities) won't affect you.

That is what I am worried about with projects like this, that since they set up new companies to handle it, the original people involved are protected, and the public could be left on the hook if they fail.
Is the contract heavily front-loaded? If not, I'm having trouble seeing a really bad downside on this one. If we aren't pre-paying, and if the maintenance cost was priced appropriately, does it really matter? The asset reverts to us, and we'd spend the money on maintenance as would have happened were it still under contract? Am I missing something?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 5:15 AM

Quote:

As I said the very large parent companies of these entities give guarantees.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Usually these bridges don't need serious maintenance or replacement until 40 years later. Such as the Ring Road overpasses which have been slowly replaced the last few years, or about 40 years after original construction.

This 30 year 'thing' sounds a bit like getting a 5 year warranty on your fridge knowing that most fridges last way past that.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 7:28 PM

How long has Arcola-Vic/#1 been open now and it's still not on Google, Bing, etc? Kind of surprising no?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 7:38 PM

Powers that be likely want to keep it that way. As if they show it open on google maps etc. The people driving through (truckers or not) will likely use it. Adding to the stressed Arcola Ave... not that Victoria isn't.

As most people wouldn't question it if their Navi told them to go that way.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
Usually these bridges don't need serious maintenance or replacement until 40 years later. Such as the Ring Road overpasses which have been slowly replaced the last few years, or about 40 years after original construction.

This 30 year 'thing' sounds a bit like getting a 5 year warranty on your fridge knowing that most fridges last way past that.
They have to turn it over in near, like-new condition. This includes pavement, curbs, striping, lighting, signage, etc.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
Powers that be likely want to keep it that way. As if they show it open on google maps etc. The people driving through (truckers or not) will likely use it. Adding to the stressed Arcola Ave... not that Victoria isn't.

As most people wouldn't question it if their Navi told them to go that way.
Delays on including new roads are normal. Argyle St. N does not yet exist either, for example.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Delays on including new roads are normal. Argyle St. N does not yet exist either, for example.
Argyle exists now... still no Bypass showing up

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 2:29 PM

...and there's a Co-op going up on the corner of Argyle and Rochdale

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan