HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Ok well my bad for assuming you didnt.
Eh, it's probably a moot point anyway... the only remaining question I have is whether the budgeted grant money is guaranteed or not.

Some news on South Market District:
An effort to expand tax rebates to a multi-million-dollar development in New Orleans' Central Business District failed on the House floor Thursday. House Bill 225, sponsored by state Rep. Walt Leger, D-New Orleans, came up five votes short of passage. ...
The bill would modify the state's Enterprise Zone program to make the CBD's South Market District, developed by Domain Cos., eligible for a $4.2 million tax rebate.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s..._river_default

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 2:01 AM

how sad....

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 2:15 AM

Planet of the Apes movie set looking down Common @ Rampart

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nola-1m...in/photostream

Thanks to sgray for this photo

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 3:23 AM
TL;DR

I hate to say it because I like the South Market proposal, but Domain Cos. can't keep asking for special preferential treatment on taxes, competition, etc.

If they can't make their development work, they need to step aside and make way for people who can.

Maybe I'm being unrealistic here, since it seems like almost all new development in this city is based on some form of tax credit. But Domain needs to play on the same field as everyone else. The Loyola corridor is not a blighted area (albeit ugly) and it shouldn't get the same privileges as a project like the Carver Theater.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 4:33 AM
TL;DR

The Lens is reporting on big plans the Convention Center has for its expansion site.

http://thelensnola.org/2013/04/18/ma...-developments/

Also, the three finalist proposals for the World Trade Center site will be released next week.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 9:17 AM

Found this article through facebook:

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/a...ticle_43610848

Astros in talks to buy Zephyrs, move them to north Houston suburbs- talks in "very early stages".

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 3:13 PM

That's like Atlanta moving their AAA team to north Atlanta from Richmond, VA (who were moved to Richmond in the 60s from Atlanta as they were the Atlanta Crackers of the Southern League).

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 4:54 PM

movie set

might this movie set be left there permanantly? - it looks good there

Quote:
Originally Posted by latour58zg View Post
Planet of the Apes movie set looking down Common @ Rampart

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nola-1m...in/photostream

Thanks to sgray for this photo

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgray View Post
might this movie set be left there permanantly? - it looks good there
I have to admit, it really fit's into the street scene in a "classical architectural" way. Too bad it's a set. I saw when the steel frame was going up and it doesn't seem to have a great deal of structural integrity.
I think it will probably all end in a fiery implosion (or explosion) with Caesar dying a cruel death!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 7:16 PM
-

Quote:

I have to admit, it really fit's into the street scene in a "classical architectural" way. Too bad it's a set. I saw when the steel frame was going up and it doesn't seem to have a great deal of structural integrity.
I think it will probably all end in a fiery implosion (or explosion) with Caesar dying a cruel death!
But there would be no sequel if that happened. lol

Why would they move the Zephyrs to a place that has a professional team already? I know its a feeder team for the Astros but that seems silly.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 7:19 PM
TL;DR

Because suburbs of major cities want their own entertainment options instead of relying on the city center, which is often an hour or more away. Chicago has sprouted several minor-league teams in suburban areas; even Gary IN built a team as an economic development tool.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 7:39 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The Lens is reporting on big plans the Convention Center has for its expansion site.

http://thelensnola.org/2013/04/18/ma...-developments/

Also, the three finalist proposals for the World Trade Center site will be released next week.
I dont have a problem with demolishing the building as long as what replaces it is something more than a damn park. Also that article on the lens was some of the most confusing and contradicting reporting ive read in a long time!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 7:45 PM
TL;DR

I know... The Lens is a great resource for the city but I think they're too busy being skeptical of "fatcat developers" to actually understand the nuances of various plans and proposals.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 7:50 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I know... The Lens is a great resource for the city but I think they're too busy being skeptical of "fatcat developers" to actually understand the nuances of various plans and proposals.
Literally according to that article the convention center is building a phase v with their money, the state is trying to take their money, the convention center is going to bulldoze the world trade center, the convention center didnt bid on the world trade center but three other people have etc etc... im dizzy trying to figure out what the hell I just read!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 12:26 AM

Ambitious- the Leaning Teepee of NOLA? looks like it has an observation deck with cars going up a perimeter track

one of the three proposals^:

The shuttered, 33-story World Trade Center would be demolished, and a towering sculpture and a park – meant to become a tourism icon for the city of New Orleans — would be built in its place at the foot of Canal Street, according to a presentation obtained by The Lens Friday.

The site upriver from the Convention Center at Henderson Street would include a park where wharves are today. The presentation shows it would be about the same size as Woldenberg Park, which is located on the river in the French Quarter.

Convention Center Boulevard would be redesigned to include a landscaped path and a sleek people mover.

http://thelensnola.org/2013/04/19/co...e-center-site/

Last edited by Chris from N.O.; Apr 20, 2013 at 12:40 AM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
Ambitious- the Leaning Teepee of NOLA? looks like it has an observation deck with cars going up a perimeter track

one of the three proposals^:

The shuttered, 33-story World Trade Center would be demolished, and a towering sculpture and a park – meant to become a tourism icon for the city of New Orleans — would be built in its place at the foot of Canal Street, according to a presentation obtained by The Lens Friday.

The site upriver from the Convention Center at Henderson Street would include a park where wharves are today. The presentation shows it would be about the same size as Woldenberg Park, which is located on the river in the French Quarter.

Convention Center Boulevard would be redesigned to include a landscaped path and a sleek people mover.

http://thelensnola.org/2013/04/19/co...e-center-site/

ya gotta be kiddn'? MAIS!!!! say it isn't so!!!!!! There IS a monumental architectural and engineering marvel in the city.....it's da dome....do dey really need da tee=pee! This looks like something out of a Jody Foster sci-fi flick gone BAD!!!!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 1:25 AM

Quote:
ya gotta be kiddn'? MAIS!!!! say it isn't so!!!!!! There IS a monumental architectural and engineering marvel in the city.....it's da dome....do dey really need da tee=pee! This looks like something out of a Jody Foster sci-fi flick gone BAD!!!!
I actually kind of like it... try envisioning it with the whole thing in color, you might think a little better of it.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 4:37 AM
TL;DR

Trippy. Reminds me of Tatlin's Tower...

I seriously hope this is a joke. WTF is Tricentennial Partners? I assume it's some kind of joint venture set up specifically to make this bid, because it turns up no hits on Google. The name is kind of a giveaway too. Without knowing who the partners in the JV are, I can't assess whether they have the necessary experience or not.

One of the other two bidders is Gatehouse Capital, which seems like a pretty experienced operation. They only do hotels, so we'd likely end up with a Sheraton or Marriott-sized hotel on the WTC site. The architecture would probably be pretty uninspired too.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
I actually kind of like it... try envisioning it with the whole thing in color, you might think a little better of it.
Chris...I'd love it if it were a building that is a monument and not just a hollow shell. It will look so dated within the next few decades that everyone will want to "tear down that eyesore" Maybe Donald Trump will be interested in developing this riverfront property, It sounds like a waste of a great site and opportuniy to anchor a major business or hotel there. But it is just my own opinion

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardicla: They only do hotels, so we'd likely end up with a Sheraton or Marriott-sized hotel on the WTC site. The architecture would probably be pretty uninspired too.
[/QUOTE]

This reminds me of the 1980's all over again when the Sheraton was built on Canal. Everyone was expecting something architecturally significant, at least something up to par with what was being built in Atlanta at the time. When the Sheraton was completed.... everyone said the same thing WT....????? It's just a benign gray box with the words Architectural BS stamped all over it and in Atlanta, people laughed. At least in those days there was an architectural critic that wrote a fairly accurate appraisal of the over all aesthetics of what was happening to downtown NOLA in the picayune. While Atlanta had architectural standards, NOLA settled for "da gray box"

Last edited by latour58zg; Apr 20, 2013 at 6:05 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations