HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 5:10 PM

darn! I cannot belive they are working so hard on a surface parking lot in downtown portland. What is this? 1970??

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Room 606 View Post
Has anyone else heard that OHSU is planning to reskin its main hospital on Marquam Hill? I was surprised to hear this given their recent financial woes. But maybe it's an energy conservation measure that will save money over time. Good for them if that's the case.

Any ideas what this might look like? Or what the justification might be?

Photo from Flickr.com
I noticed there is a crane at OHSU. Could this be what they are working on?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 8:28 PM

I believe the crane up at Pill Hill is for the addition to Shriner's Hospital.

The parking lot redo is interesting. The original retaining wall came down over a year ago when the city noticed large cracks in the stone wall. The stone was ballast rock used by seagoing boats coming to Portland for fur and lumber. The stone has been classified as a historic resource and has be retained in place. All the stone that was removed with the retaining walls was salvaged and will be reinstalled in the new parking lot. The new parking lot receives better access and probably stormwater treatment. While it is still a parking lot, it should look a whole lot nicer that it does now when it is finished.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 6:02 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by smendesPDX View Post
darn! I cannot belive they are working so hard on a surface parking lot in downtown portland. What is this? 1970??
well if it makes you feel better, back in the early 80's there was a residential tower that was proposed to be constructed there...it would of rivaled the Portland Building for Post Modern ugliness and would of been such an eyesore in that part of the city.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 9:02 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
well if it makes you feel better, back in the early 80's there was a residential tower that was proposed to be constructed there...it would of rivaled the Portland Building for Post Modern ugliness and would of been such an eyesore in that part of the city.
I'll take another ugly Portland Building over a surface parking lot any day - especially if it brings more residents into downtown. I was hoping something good was happening on that block too. Sigh. Ahh well. Someday...

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioux612 View Post
I noticed there is a crane at OHSU. Could this be what they are working on?

I live on top of Pill Hill and I drive through/under that building in the rendering all the time. So, I can definitely tell you that it is not the building they are working on. I do believe the crane you are referring to is for a new addition to the Shriners Hospital.

Btw, why did they build all this hospital stuff on top of this difficult to access hill?

Btw2, I think that building in the rendering plus, the new glass tower above w/ tram are some of the best buildings in town.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 1:43 AM

^ hospital land was "given" to OHSU.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 3:57 AM
momentum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I live on top of Pill Hill and I drive through/under that building in the rendering all the time. So, I can definitely tell you that it is not the building they are working on. I do believe the crane you are referring to is for a new addition to the Shriners Hospital.

Btw, why did they build all this hospital stuff on top of this difficult to access hill?

Btw2, I think that building in the rendering plus, the new glass tower above w/ tram are some of the best buildings in town.
all of that in the rendering exists. OHSU Eye Center, Tram and Kohler Pavillion by Perkins/Will.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 6:26 PM

Speaking of hospital cranes ... anyone know what the white crane is building at Emanuel Hospital?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Speaking of hospital cranes ... anyone know what the white crane is building at Emanuel Hospital?
I think this is for the new 9-story, 300,000sq.ft. childrens hospital expansion.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhome View Post
I think this is for the new 9-story, 300,000sq.ft. childrens hospital expansion.
word.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2009, 7:46 PM

Nice. Was thinking it was gonna be some ugly parking structure.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
some ugly parking structure.
that was phase one, actually.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 8:15 PM

Rumor has it the Sage Hospitality is eager to continue to expand it's Portland presence, and is looking at constructing a ground up hotel. I asked where and was told "an already empty lot in the nice part of town"

Grrrrr!

I was hinting Pearl, or over by 12W/Indigo...I wasn't told no.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 8:43 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Rumor has it the Sage Hospitality is eager to continue to expand it's Portland presence, and is looking at constructing a ground up hotel. I asked where and was told "an already empty lot in the nice part of town"

Grrrrr!

I was hinting Pearl, or over by 12W/Indigo...I wasn't told no.
Well it will be interesting to see what happens with this...clicking around Portland Maps, there has been no sign of recent land purchases on any of the lots just north or south of Burnside, but that doesnt rule out any of those lots either.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 5:24 AM

I saw a company truck called "GeoDyne" with a drill doing something on the lot corner behind the Lexis Condos on Nw 9th Ave. and Marshall the other day...don't know what they were doing...but it seemed suspicious.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 5:56 AM

i wouldn't get too excited. here's the permit page from portlandmaps. if there were a building going up, there would be all kinds of design reviews on that page.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 4:54 AM

Quote:
that was phase one, actually.
Ha. No kidding. Not only did they just build a new 2 story parking structure right on Vancouver, they built it right next to another 2 story parking structure, also facing Vancouver.

Wasn't completely destroying the neighborhood back in the 70's enough?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 4:32 PM

PDC relocation may relaunch PAW or One Waterfront Place - Galleria could play spoiler

Friday, February 12, 2010
Stalled developers court PDC lease
Lease could help restart two high-,profile projects
Portland Business Journal - by Wendy Culverwell Business Journal staff writer

TMT Development Co. Inc. hopes to revive its stalled Park Avenue West Tower project by becoming the new home of the Portland Development Commission and its 185 employees.

TMT Development is one of three landlords that have submitted lease proposals to the PDC. The economic development agency’s lease in Old Town expires in August 2011.

Winkler Naito Development’s One Waterfront Place — another stalled project — also submitted a lease proposal, as did the owners of downtown’s Galleria.

The lease is significant because it’s big enough to help either of the stalled projects receive bank funding to start or finish construction.

The PDC released copies of the proposals in response to a public records request. However, the agency redacted offering terms, including rent and other costs, making it impossible to determine which prospective landlord is offering the best deal.

The PDC, which leases 68,485 square feet in Old Town, is a very desirable tenant in a market plagued by rising vacancy rates and stalled construction projects.

The vacancy rate for Class A and B space in the central business district has been rising since early 2009. It stood at 10.1 percent at the end of the year, according to Pacific Real Estate Partners.

The proposals were unsolicited and the development commission is not bound to select one of them.

Portland Mayor Sam Adams has acknowledged the impact the PDC’s $138,000-a-month budget for office space could have on downtown development.

Kimberly Schneider, Adams’ director of economic development, said the mayor directed PDC leadership to evaluate all proposals with an eye toward using the city’s resources as a catalyst to stimulate business.

Equally important, she said, the city doesn’t want to incur new expenses. Any new lease would have to be comparable to the $24 per square foot rent it pays at 222 S.W. Fifth Ave. That might make it difficult for the city to lease space in either stalled tower.

PDC spokesman Shawn Uhlman said the agency needs room for 185 employees and typical office amenities. It also needs a large meeting area to accommodate the commission’s public meetings.

It will likely require space that is certified under the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) program. All three proposals include LEED certification.

Of the three, TMT Development’s bid to recruit the PDC to Park Avenue West is the most transparent plea for the city’s help to restart a stalled project.

TMT stopped construction of its office-and-condominium tower at Southwest Park Avenue and Yamhill Street nearly a year ago, leaving a tower crane and a giant hole in the block immediately west of Nordstrom.

Although law firm Stoel Rives LP leased more than 157,000 square feet, about half the building, the developer couldn’t secure a construction loan and apparently needs more tenants before it can restart work.

TMT inferred in its proposal that choosing the tower is in step with PDC’s mission to foster economic activity.

The company’s lease proposal said restarting construction would re-employ 60 of the 84 employees laid off by its steel fabricator, Fought & Co., and would forestall future layoffs. The project would employ 300 full-time workers and create more jobs off-site.

Construction would generate $28.2 million in wages and $1.8 million in annual property taxes after completion.

Vanessa Sturgeon, TMT president, wouldn’t comment on the proposal, but said she’s optimistic the project will be financed soon. Capital markets have loosened, she said, and TMT is working with a lender.

If the PDC moved into Park Avenue West, it would be on the fourth to seventh floors. Stoel Rives is slated to take the 16th to 26th floors.

The PDC isn’t big enough on its own to jump start One Waterfront Place, slated for construction on PDC-owned land adjacent to the Broadway Bridge.

But it wouldn’t hurt, said developer Jim Winkler and leasing broker Tom Becic of Melvin Mark Brokerage Co.

“Everyone is looking for those additional tenants to push us over the goal line,” Becic said.

In its pitch, One Waterfront noted that the project will create 600 jobs and locating there would cement the PDC’s commitment to the River District.

Most important, having PDC would bolster the confidence of prospective tenants.

“PDC’s lease obligation will help jump-start a major development worth over $100 million,” it said.

The One Waterfront proposal emphasized that the building’s LEED Platinum facilities will save the development commission $650,000 a year in utility costs, improved worker productivity and reduced employee turnover.

The Galleria, 921 S.W. Morrison St., so far is the only existing building in the mix.

The company wants to complete a LEED-rated renovation that would turn the Galleria into the flagship of its downtown real estate empire.

It is looking for a tenant for its 35,000-square-foot second floor and has made numerous unsolicited proposals to tenants known to be in the market, said William Barendrick, an official with Bill Naito Co., which owns the building.

The Galleria offer expired this week, but Barendrick said he still welcomes contact from PDC, or any potential tenant.

The Portland Development Commission pays around $24.18 per square foot annually in rent. Its lease expires in August 2011. The owners of three high high-profile buildings are already bidding to be the agency’s new home.

• Park Avenue West Tower: Rent costs approximately $34 per square foot.

• One Waterfront Place: Rent costs approximately $35 per square foot.

• Galleria: Rents cost around $24 per square foot.

Lease proposals submitted to the Portland Development Commission were redacted under the Trade Secrets and Confidential Submissions exemptions to Oregon’s public records law. The above information reflects published rents for each building.

wculverwell@bizjournals.com | 503-219-3415

http://portland.bizjournals.com/port...ml?t=printable

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 7:20 PM

does anyone know the backstory to why PDC needs to move in the first place? my recollection is that they moved into their current digs in olde towne because the building was a failed (PDC financed) small-business incubator. they ended up kicking everyone out of it and took it over for themselves. NOW they need to move again? WTF?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland