HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 9:15 PM

^Similar situation to what Fortress is encountering these days. Management is a bunch of convicted slime balls, and they're having trouble hiding it. Apparently they are trying to hide it though.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkirvan View Post
That's a shame. You know in the past developers could just run each project as a numbered company, lie to their customers, cut every possible corner during construction, shortchange their contractors, pay themselves, and then fold the company +/- moving to a new town. I'd like to think that with the internet and it being easier to talk to previous people who've done business with them a developer's reputation should start to matter and more and more developers will stop being like that. I'd love to see more developers who have their own money on the line, who give honest and complete information, who buy materials with the best value not lowest price, who care about long term costs and the environment, etc. Of course maybe this is naive and developers will just stick with their old way of doing things while finding more gullible people to deal with (people who want to get rich quick, foreign investors, etc.). One can hope.
The day anybody is prepared to pay for those things is the day they come!

But the companies you're speaking about are often more interested in marketing themselves than being professionals and that's where the interests turn. If somebody is more interested in the vanity of the project than the project itself, you should probably run the other way. There are all kinds of developers who have come and gone in the city in a successful way that nobody will ever hear of because that's the way they preferred it. They were in it as a business and not a means for having their picture in the paper and the adulation they craved that comes along with it.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 9:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
The day anybody is prepared to pay for those things is the day they come!
Yeah, that's a fair point. I realize that some of the reason developers do crooked things is because of pressure from the customers themselves, and that won't change. Ie. they lie about the schedule because nobody will reserve a unit in a building that won't honestly break ground for 3 years, or they buy the cheapest materials possible because nobody wants to pay an extra $50,000 for decent stuff. However, what I'm hoping is that more and more they'll have to balance these short-term priorities with the costs of having easily available reviews saying "my windows started leaking after 5 years" or "they folded the project after two years of waiting".

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 9:37 PM

And that's Winnipeg. Things are done on the cheap here. Not because we want to, because we need to. Low wages, high cost of construction.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 10:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
And that's Winnipeg. Things are done on the cheap here. Not because we want to, because we need to. Low wages, high cost of construction.
Maybe, but from what I've seen developers do things on the cheap everywhere, including Alberta which was very rich when I lived there. Anyways, my broader point is that developers like Fortress and apparently Sandhu and thousands of others behave in a manner that assumes that nobody knows who they are and nobody will remember what they've done or said in the past. Hopefully the days of being able to make that assumption are ending.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 1:38 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

people have short memories though collectivly

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 1:41 PM

The problem is that the residential consumer has very little protection in all of this. MB Home Warranty is run by builders, essentially for builders to give the home buyers a (false) sense of security. Most have a hell of a time getting their deficiency work done, and the majority of the warranty only covers cosmetic issues...

Then there are the building codes and city inspections... both laughable. Quality workmanship is not warranty, code, or looked at in an inspection. It all comes down to a competent developer willing to take responsibility for their contractors and the quality of the work being done.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 1:46 PM

You're right about contractors though kirvan. A lot tend to be slimy and just want to make as much money as possible. As opposed to doing the right thing in certain situations.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 3:17 PM

Only permit issued on D Condo is a partial foundation permit with a value of $1.2MM.

If they're going to start constructing the parkade soon, that permit is going to need to be issued any day now.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 3:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Only permit issued on D Condo is a partial foundation permit with a value of $1.2MM.

If they're going to start constructing the parkade soon, that permit is going to need to be issued any day now.
Interesting. How long in advance is that permit usually issued? I assume if the lack of permit becomes an issue Sandhu will blame the city for it not being done on time, regardless of when or even if they applied for one!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkirvan View Post
Interesting. How long in advance is that permit usually issued? I assume if the lack of permit becomes an issue Sandhu will blame the city for it not being done on time, regardless of when or even if they applied for one!
It takes months to get permits in this city even if everything is in order.

In this case, Sandhu says they're going to start pouring walls for the parkade by the end of April. That means they'll have to have a permit in hand in the next few weeks given that $1.2MM in underground and foundational work is peanuts on a proposal like this. Who knows. Maybe it's on the verge of being issued. But we've heard all this before.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 6:33 PM

@ bomberjet

Reg: Contractors

Quote: BomberJet

"A lot tend to be slimy and just want to make as much money as possible. As opposed to doing the right thing in certain situations."

I don't think anyone would disagree that thier are corrupt and questionable contractors, developers... those that advise them and so on...only interested in thier own bottom line and accumulating wealth.

I see the same situation in professions of every ilk, lawyers, investment experts, mechanics, brokers, politicians etc. etc.. as everyone does. I wish everyone would do the "right thing in certain situations", as well, but it will never be the case. Each individuals moral compass can be thier only guide.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 1:31 AM

Updated pics, April 5

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 1:20 PM

A few photos of site progress from March..

Image Source(s)

Any slow down noticed by posters recently?

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 3:13 AM

It's been pretty quiet. They've been working every day (though no one showed up today) but doing very little. I was out of town for 3 1/2 weeks and the site looks pretty much the same.

From CBC news today -- http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...uilt-1.3073111

Apparently Sandhu's still telling people it'll be ready next March. With the way work has been going (and how narrow the site is), I don't see how it could be done in that time frame even if they were firing on all cylinders.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 1:56 PM
What could go wrong?

I know it has been mentioned on here before but now I have heard it from the inside, that this project is in trouble. It seems that Sandhu is in over their heads.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I know it has been mentioned on here before but now I have heard it from the inside, that this project is in trouble. It seems that Sandhu is in over their heads.
Too bad, it was a nice proposal. I was really looking forward to watching it rise.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 2:26 PM

Quote:
If Sandhu were to walk away from the project, would some other group be able to use the foundation work that Sandhu installed?
If work didn't start up again for a few years would there be corrosion issues with the exposed re-bar, etc.?

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 4:30 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...uilt-1.3073111

Moral of the story... Do some research on the developer before you buy and have your lawyer write in your own clause when you make a deposit.

Sandhu Developments are extremely shady and even if they get this project done one day, it will be painful to watch their idiotic mistakes along the way.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 4:38 PM

Quote:
From the inside?
Can you elaborate?

Or PM me? It would really make my day to hear how these crooks have screwed this project up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan