HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 5:07 PM
Expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by newkidontheblock View Post
HB38: Diverts County TRT funds (15% for 10 years)
While I want RSL to stay in the state, I really don't the idea of state lawmakers playing loose with the county's money. If the county thinks the risk is too great, the state should respect that and gamble its own cash on the stadium project.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 6:09 PM
100 days to economic ruin

- Real officials said Thursday that they have decided the former Geneva Steel site in Vineyard, Utah County, is no longer a "viable option for our team or the stadium project."

- Fairpark is really only an afterthought. It really looks like RSL will end up in Sandy or St. Louis.

- The legislative action comes after Salt Lake County Mayor Peter Corroon on Monday denied the Major League Soccer team's request for $30 million in hotel-room tax dollars from the county for a $110 million stadium in Sandy
At least one bill could allow the state to give away the county dollars that Corroon had refused to hand out. HB38 was substituted Thursday on the House floor to take more than $26 million of Salt Lake County's hotel-room tax revenue over the next 10 years and put it into a new state-controlled fund..-- Looks like it's going to cost Salt Lake County the $30 million anyway.

- sports commission that could be created to administer funds for the stadium.

Anderson said that whatever happens, it will be now or never. "That has got to happen very quickly or this team is going to be sold," the mayor said. "I'm talking about days, not weeks."

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utaaah! View Post
While I want RSL to stay in the state, I really don't the idea of state lawmakers playing loose with the county's money. If the county thinks the risk is too great, the state should respect that and gamble its own cash on the stadium project.
The county was willing to provide $23 million in funding for infrastructure like the parking garage, soccer fields, roads etc. Nothing directly for the stadium. The county is still talking about other projects around the South Towne Expo like $7.5 million for the parking garage and add'l money for other projects.

My gripe with Carroon is that he keeps talking about the $30 million when in reality it was only $7 million that he had trouble with. SL County and the State are willing to spend $23 million in this area of Sandy.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 6:27 PM

^^^
Excellent point SmilingBob. Hey, it's great to see Gilligan!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 9:07 PM

Well, here is the start. HB 38 passed 57 to 15 with three abstaining.

http://le.utah.gov/~2007/status/hbil...038s1.001h.txt

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 9:29 PM

sweet.. keep the bill updates comin'!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
sweet.. keep the bill updates comin'!
I can't, as I will not be near a computer for the next couple of hours. To track it yourself, follow the lind below and then enter in the bills you would like to track (HB38, HB254, SB162, and SB167)

http://le.utah.gov/asp/billtrack/track.asp

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 11:17 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Well it looks like it will all come down to Sandy or St. Louis. But now I'm hearing that the fairpark is back into play. But we may not know for sure till next week sometime. This is RSL last hope if they want to stay here in Utah.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 11:19 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
Didn't they already break ground in August?

LOL, yea they did and I was there. I wonder however if salt lake somehow get it if there would be another groundbreaking. you know since it's a different site.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 7:42 AM

Post Govenor and lawmakes set deadline,

Saturday, February 3, 2007

Stadium deal due by Friday--OR ELSE

By Lisa Riley Roche, Amelia Nielson-Stowell and Leigh Dethman
Deseret Morning News
Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. said Friday that lawmakers have a deadline of next Friday to set aside money needed to keep Real Salt Lake soccer in Utah or the team will be lost to St. Louis or Philadelphia.
"I would certainly encourage people not to sell their Real tickets," Huntsman told the Deseret Morning News. "I'm not ready to say it's a done deal, but we're up against the shot clock and could very well score going into next week."
The governor said he is "comfortable" with a package pieced together by House leaders that would set aside a share of Salt Lake County's transient room tax through 2022 to buy the land and build a parking garage for a new soccer stadium in Sandy.
Lawmakers are also looking at creating a new sports commission in the south valley to manage the funds. The House on Friday approved the funding bill, HB38, but the Senate has yet to commit to the package.
The governor said there's not much time left to finalize a deal with the team.
"We have a deadline, which is Friday," he said, warning that without legislative action, "a week from today, the team is sold to St. Louis, if not to St. Louis, then to Philadelphia. The shot clock has started."

St. Louis or Philly?
With a lucrative offer in St. Louis enticing team officials, lawmakers are pouring their efforts into the original Sandy site. While Salt Lake City Mayor Rocky Anderson is still championing the Utah State Fairpark as an alternative option, Sandy is the focus.
But three cities around St. Louis are anxious to play host to a Major League Soccer team in their town.
Jeff Cooper, a lawyer who is the managing partner of Simmons Cooper in St. Louis, is negotiating a deal for his group to own the team. He said they are "very, very close to a stadium deal," and he's expecting to come to a resolution sometime next week.
Stadium plans, he said, would be much like the one proposed in Sandy, with a public-private partnership. The difference, he said, is that these public leaders are willing to put "their money where their mouth is."
"It's one of the best-supported teams in MLS — they've just been let down by their public officials," he said. "Here, the public officials are just stepping up to the plate for all the businesses and people in the community that want to see a high-profile team in their hometown."
Cooper's group has been looking into purchasing an MLS franchise for some time, and he says the worldwide attention that an MLS team provides is better than that of any other pro-sports franchise.
"The best summer was the Real Madrid and Real Salt Lake game. It's not very often that you have the focus of the whole world on your town," Cooper said. "That's so much bigger than how many tickets you've sold."
As for Philadelphia, Real Salt Lake officials do not have official permission from Major League Soccer to negotiate a possible move there, league spokesman Dan Courtemanch said.

On Capitol Hill
In Utah, lawmakers have come up with a plan to keep the stadium in the state by using HB38 as a way to collect the $35 million needed for the stadium project. The bill now sets aside $20 million for a parking facility and is expected to be amended to give the state the power to collect another $15 million in Salt Lake County's hotel-room taxes over the next 20 years.
The measure passed the House on Friday with an amendment sponsored by Rep. David Clark, R-Santa Clara, spelling out that county hotel-tax dollars will only be used for parking at the county's two biggest convention centers and not for a stadium.
The bill, sponsored by Rep. Merlynn Newbold, R-South Jordan, now moves to the Senate. But Rep. David Litvack, D-Salt Lake City, took issue with the bill and its relation to soccer. "Whether this is about the soccer stadium or not, I have no idea, but the manner that this is coming up right now and the complete sense of confusion about what the effect of the bill is, I think we need to hold off and either circle or have some discussion," he said.
Huntsman agreed that there has been confusion surrounding who is actually paying for the stadium. The governor insists the state will pay only for the land. The state would use a portion of the transient room tax to buy the land needed for the project and lease it to the team. The rest of the tax would go toward the $20 million parking structure.
In 2005, the Legislature passed a bill that gave Salt Lake County the authority to use hotel-tax revenue to both renovate the Salt Palace and build a parking garage at the South Towne Exposition Center. The county bonded for $20 million about 18 months ago to pay for the garage, but construction stalled as the county negotiated a possible funding deal with Real for a stadium.
Even after killing a deal to fund the stadium, Salt Lake County Mayor Peter Corroon insisted the county would still build the garage. If the Senate passes the bill, he will have no choice — the state would take that $20 million and build it for the county.
However, the county would still have to pay the debt payments on the $20 million, the county's chief financial officer Doug Willmore said.
Salt Lake County Council Chairman Mark Crockett said if state officials wanted the stadium so badly, they should have just funded it in the first place "without putting us in the middle."
"If it's truly a state priority, then I'm not sure why it's this county alone that pays for it," Crockett said.

'Risk tolerance'
The Salt Lake County Council on Tuesday is scheduled to discuss an inter-local agreement with the state on the $20 million parking garage. Crockett said the new deal is similar to the one Corroon killed earlier this week.
However, the biggest difference between that deal and the one lawmakers are cooking up is the $27.5 million in cash and in-kind contributions the team offered to the county in the deal nixed earlier this week by Corroon.
Despite those benefits that might be off the table, the governor said the deal that lawmakers are considering is "not materially different" from what Corroon turned down earlier this week. "It's pretty much based on the same premises," Huntsman said.
He suggested the county "may have factored into their risk analysis the $20 million for the parking garage." But, he added, "It's probably an unfair assumption to throw the parking garage in, since it's going to be done anyway."
The governor stopped short of criticizing Corroon. "I'm not a historian nor am I here to be a Monday morning quarterback," Huntsman said. "My only job is to advocate that which I think is in the long-term interest of the state."
Corroon, meanwhile, said Friday that he still stands by his decision. "We didn't think it was financially viable. Obviously they have a higher risk tolerance than we do."

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 8:30 AM

Salt Lake Supports Real soccer in Sandy

Rocky has alternate plan, if necessary, at state Fairpark

By Doug Smeath
Deseret Morning News
Salt Lake City officials remain supportive of a Real Salt Lake soccer stadium in Sandy, but in case that deal fails, Salt Lake Mayor Rocky Anderson is offering $8 million from the city to help the team build a stadium at the Utah State Fairpark.
He characterizes the offer as a second option, "that would be able to work if a Sandy deal isn't going to happen." Legislation being floated on Capitol Hill aims to save the south-valley location.
Under the Salt Lake City offer, made public Friday in a proposed resolution to be considered by the City Council on Tuesday, the money would be reimbursed by broadcasting and other media promotion for the city, the future sale of surplus city property, and tax-increment financing.
In addition to drawing more visitors to the city, the idea would have an immediate and direct impact on city revenue, Anderson said. The Fairpark is owned by the state and is not subject to property taxes, but the stadium would be.
Land at the Fairpark, on North Temple and 1000 West, could be leased to the team with the approval of the park's advisory board, and Anderson said he is hopeful an agreement could be reached.
Anderson's offer is conditioned on the team building a soccer academy within the city — something the team had already announced it would do.
The stadium also must be built to the U.S. Green Building Council's Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design standards. And the team's owners must agree to keep Real in Salt Lake for at least 10 years.
The plan would have the team help pay for the stadium with $7.5 million it had planned to put toward a regional sports complex in the city's northwest corner. The sports-complex money would instead come from Salt Lake County hotel-room taxes.
Councilman Carlton Christensen, who is chairman of the RDA board and whose district includes the Fairpark, called the stadium plan "a rare opportunity to redevelop not only the Fairpark area but the North Temple corridor."
Anderson and others in the city have pushed for the stadium to be built at the Fairpark in the past, but that idea seemed dead when Real announced its plans to build in Sandy. When county Mayor Peter Corroon earlier this week denied the money for the Sandy site, Anderson and the council saw the chance to revive the idea.
However, Christensen and Anderson both say they would be supportive of a Sandy site and simply want to make sure the team has a second choice. If an agreement isn't reached by Friday, the team will be sold out of state, Anderson said.
"I don't think anybody on the council has wanted to do it at the expense of Sandy," Christensen said. "While we've advocated for this location, we've been more than content to be on the side and see what happens."

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 8:58 AM

come on Huntsman and friends! get this done!!!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 1:06 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Huntsman is known of getting things done.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 2:30 PM
Gone Fishing.

In a sad sort of way, its amusing to watch Checketts spur an entire state legislature into saving an MLS franchise. This is MLS we are talking about, not pro baseball or the sort!!!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 4:17 PM

I can't stand this. The legislature going around the established county government to take money away from the county to do something that most county voters don't want done with county money...this is obscene. If "Huntsman and friends" want to do it, they should do it with "Huntsman and friends" money.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 4:20 PM

This poll was in the Deseret News Wednesday...

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 4:37 PM

Wow, 70% oppose county financing, and yet the legislature is trying to push it through anyway. Gotta love politicians.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Wow, 70% oppose county financing, and yet the legislature is trying to push it through anyway. Gotta love politicians.
Or un-informed citizens.

The county, the state, the city and especially Checketts have done a very poor job "selling" this project to the community.

One thing to remember about this project is that while it will located in Salt Lake County it is really a Wasatch Front area facility. I don't mind the state using it's money to help fund this and I do agree they are playing politics with county funds, but if Corroon would have worked out a deal we wouldn't have been in this mess.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 10:31 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingBob View Post
Or un-informed citizens.

The county, the state, the city and especially Checketts have done a very poor job "selling" this project to the community.

One thing to remember about this project is that while it will located in Salt Lake County it is really a Wasatch Front area facility. I don't mind the state using it's money to help fund this and I do agree they are playing politics with county funds, but if Corroon would have worked out a deal we wouldn't have been in this mess.

Amen to that.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingBob View Post
Or un-informed citizens.

...but if Corroon would have worked out a deal we wouldn't have been in this mess.
...and yet you blame Corroon and the citizens for their decision? The citizens are the ones whose money would be spent on this--and (according to the poll) they don't want to see their money spent on it. I applaud Corroon for making the hard choice, but the right choice. If the legislators or other officials go around him and the voters to build this thing anyway, that's fine...but I still think it's a bad choice for the Wasatch Front for this particular point in time. We're not filling the sports venues we already have--why build another?

I mean--if it goes in at the Fairgrounds, and it's a big pretty building, I'll be as excited as anyone else to see it built and leave all this in the past--I just don't want to see attendance remain at the current pathetic levels, and RSL fail and leave town anyway.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West