HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1541  
Old Posted Sep 4, 2017, 1:09 AM
dc_denizen's Avatar
dc_denizen dc_denizen is offline
Selfie-stick vendor
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 5,594
that last low area in Seattle...the final undeveloped stretch of parking lots/small buildings in front of the amazon HQ...wouldn't it make a great park?

the city seems a bit under-parked generally...

wonder what others think.
__________________
Joined the bus on the 33rd seat
By the doo-doo room with the reek replete
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1542  
Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 3:14 AM
Tucumanisfuture Tucumanisfuture is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tucuman, Argentina
Posts: 3,259
Santa Fe, Argentina



Fuente[/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1543  
Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 5:58 AM
nw290 nw290 is offline
ridin4s
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: h-town
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Houston

jsc2015e102902 by NASA Johnson, on Flickr

url=https://flic.kr/p/ASDbRT][/url]jsc2015e102899 by NASA Johnson, on Flickr
great shot...galleria has really filled in now a days
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1544  
Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 12:28 AM
AviationGuy AviationGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3,336
Great pic.

A lot of the Uptown highrises are to the left of the photo's view, and some new talls are missing, so not sure how recent this is. Still a good pic. Med Center would be to the right. Would be great to find a pic that includes Downtown, Uptown, Greenway, and Med Center, along with the highrises in between. I don't know that I've ever found a pic like that, though.

Last edited by AviationGuy; Sep 6, 2017 at 1:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1545  
Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 4:39 AM
streetscaper streetscaper is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 2,389
NYC


@nyobsession
__________________
hmmm....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1546  
Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 5:08 AM
mhays mhays is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 16,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
that last low area in Seattle...the final undeveloped stretch of parking lots/small buildings in front of the amazon HQ...wouldn't it make a great park?

the city seems a bit under-parked generally...

wonder what others think.
That area has a number of other highrises planned, including a 24-story office tower for Amazon on the block with the long white building which is currently being demo'd. The block with the two tower cranes is the third larger Amazon tower. The block with the blue awning has four(!) 440' apartment towers planned by two developers, a couple of which seem like they could start this year. A couple of the little triangular blocks along Denny Way have 440' residential towers proposed. Also Amazon plans a 16(?) story office on one of the half blocks.

That said, we very much need more parks. We're ok with smaller ones including the mid-block examples that a lot of office blocks are getting these days, but we lack anything larger. A group of us tried to get a big one passed in the 90s from Denny to Lake Union. It failed two public votes, then the land we bought using Paul Allen's donations reverted to his ownership (vs. being given to the City) and that was the precursor to South Lake Union's real estate boom.
__________________
"Alot" isn't a word.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1547  
Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 7:18 AM
10023's Avatar
10023 10023 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 16,898
^ All American cities are short on parks. It's one of the drawbacks of never having had a royal family.

Houston could really use some mid-rise infill. Lots of it, like 30 square miles, linking its "downtowns".
__________________
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Last edited by 10023; Sep 6, 2017 at 7:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1548  
Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 2:39 AM
AviationGuy AviationGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
^ All American cities are short on parks. It's one of the drawbacks of never having had a royal family.

Houston could really use some mid-rise infill. Lots of it, like 30 square miles, linking its "downtowns".
There's already a whole lot of midrise infill going on in Houston in the areas you're referring to. There have been big changes just in the last 5 years or so. Those photos above appear to be outdated. But still, you're correct that there is room for a whole lot more. A lot is in the planning stages. Typically what has been happening is that older apartments/condos/single family are being torn down, and midrise residential replaces it. That's been typical of Midtown, Memorial/Allen Parkway, and Upper Kirby, for example. But there are inner loop areas like River Oaks (the woodsy area in the photos), West University, and other areas where I doubt that's going to happen for a very long time except along commercial avenues. West University has been seeing some new midrise in the Village, which is the commercial area in the heart of the district. I just don't see complete fill in for many decades, even if then, and even in the inner loop. It will continue to be concentrated in specific areas, but more so.

Last edited by AviationGuy; Sep 7, 2017 at 3:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1549  
Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 7:51 AM
10023's Avatar
10023 10023 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 16,898
^ That's good to hear. With a bit more transit investment along that north/south corridor, maybe someday Downtown/Midtown/TMC can look like the Yonge St corridor in Toronto.

Are there any plans for transit expansion in that corridor to make it, well, a useful system? Or west from Midtown toward the Galleria?

I've always been a bit confused as to why they built Houston's tram lines where they did. I get the link to University of Houston, but there doesn't seem to be anything past that, or along the lines running SE from downtown, unless it was built with an eye to redeveloping that part of the city. It's all strip malls and low-density SFH.

Doing a bit of Google Maps city planning, it looks like a line running down Alabama St. from University of Houston, through Midtown, and west to the Galleria would make a great deal of sense.
__________________
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1550  
Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 7:59 AM
nw290 nw290 is offline
ridin4s
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: h-town
Posts: 36
melbourne is next major world class city...its boomin
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1551  
Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 8:00 AM
nw290 nw290 is offline
ridin4s
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: h-town
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
^ That's good to hear. With a bit more transit investment along that north/south corridor, maybe someday Downtown/Midtown/TMC can look like the Yonge St corridor in Toronto.

Are there any plans for transit expansion in that corridor to make it, well, a useful system? Or west from Midtown toward the Galleria?

I've always been a bit confused as to why they built Houston's tram lines where they did. I get the link to University of Houston, but there doesn't seem to be anything past that, or along the lines running SE from downtown, unless it was built with an eye to redeveloping that part of the city. It's all strip malls and low-density SFH.

Doing a bit of Google Maps city planning, it looks like a line running down Alabama St. from University of Houston, through Midtown, and west to the Galleria would make a great deal of sense.
they are building line up to uptown
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1552  
Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 8:03 AM
nw290 nw290 is offline
ridin4s
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: h-town
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
Great pic.

A lot of the Uptown highrises are to the left of the photo's view, and some new talls are missing, so not sure how recent this is. Still a good pic. Med Center would be to the right. Would be great to find a pic that includes Downtown, Uptown, Greenway, and Med Center, along with the highrises in between. I don't know that I've ever found a pic like that, though.
its an old pic...tmc is super dense and uptown is filling in quickly...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1553  
Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 3:32 AM
AviationGuy AviationGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
^ That's good to hear. With a bit more transit investment along that north/south corridor, maybe someday Downtown/Midtown/TMC can look like the Yonge St corridor in Toronto.

Are there any plans for transit expansion in that corridor to make it, well, a useful system? Or west from Midtown toward the Galleria?

I've always been a bit confused as to why they built Houston's tram lines where they did. I get the link to University of Houston, but there doesn't seem to be anything past that, or along the lines running SE from downtown, unless it was built with an eye to redeveloping that part of the city. It's all strip malls and low-density SFH.

Doing a bit of Google Maps city planning, it looks like a line running down Alabama St. from University of Houston, through Midtown, and west to the Galleria would make a great deal of sense.
I think the line from downtown to the Med Center and stadium area is a great line. The south and east lines are pretty good, as is the north line. But a line you mentioned from Midtown to Uptown makes great sense but I'm not aware of plans for it. I don't understand. Also don't understand the lack of lines to both airports. I guess there are logistical barriers that we're not aware of.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1554  
Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 3:34 AM
AviationGuy AviationGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by nw290 View Post
they are building line up to uptown
Where will it come from?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1555  
Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 7:39 AM
10023's Avatar
10023 10023 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 16,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
I think the line from downtown to the Med Center and stadium area is a great line. The south and east lines are pretty good, as is the north line. But a line you mentioned from Midtown to Uptown makes great sense but I'm not aware of plans for it. I don't understand. Also don't understand the lack of lines to both airports. I guess there are logistical barriers that we're not aware of.
The airports I get in Houston's case. It would be a pretty long ride on a light rail line making frequent stops, and it's almost certainly faster by car. People are generally happy to call a taxi/car service to the airport (and consider this part of the cost of the trip). Lines that service commuters, shoppers, evening entertainment and students are likely to provide the best bang for the buck.

My question was really about whether anyone actually rides those lines that go east along Harrisburg Blvd. Maybe ridership is high because it's a low income area (though this is bad strategy generally for building a profitable mass transit system) but it seems pretty low density. The bus would have been fine.
__________________
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1556  
Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 9:20 PM
chris08876's Avatar
chris08876 chris08876 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Jersey - Somerset County
Posts: 23,680
Baltimore:


Baltimore Aerial by MDOHTH, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1557  
Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 4:09 AM
AviationGuy AviationGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
The airports I get in Houston's case. It would be a pretty long ride on a light rail line making frequent stops, and it's almost certainly faster by car. People are generally happy to call a taxi/car service to the airport (and consider this part of the cost of the trip). Lines that service commuters, shoppers, evening entertainment and students are likely to provide the best bang for the buck.

My question was really about whether anyone actually rides those lines that go east along Harrisburg Blvd. Maybe ridership is high because it's a low income area (though this is bad strategy generally for building a profitable mass transit system) but it seems pretty low density. The bus would have been fine.
Since we don't live there, I guess we should see what someone knows who actually lives there or is actively involved in it (preferably the latter).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1558  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2017, 3:02 AM
dave8721 dave8721 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Miami
Posts: 2,970
Another intersesting aerial of Pre-Irma tree canopy and South Florida's highrise burbs (Sunny Isles, Aventura, Hallandale Beach..etc). :
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lrosa/36147235304
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1559  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 3:19 PM
chris08876's Avatar
chris08876 chris08876 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Jersey - Somerset County
Posts: 23,680
Buffalo, NY:


Untitled by Scott Woodruff, on Flickr


Untitled by Scott Woodruff, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1560  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 5:33 PM
fleonzo fleonzo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New York City
Posts: 834
This kid is pretty talented with a drone around our City.....

Video Link
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:34 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.