HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 6:18 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Yep, Crown Castle, if I recall correctly, have and will install those boxes on street light poles, so that one day when all the hurdles get overcome, driverless will be a common reality.
Yep, that's them all over Center City for instance. They did a major build-up here ahead of the Pope's visit. Whether your mobile service is Vz, or T-Mobile or AT&T or whoever you are probably connecting through Crown Castle's infrastructure. Mobile providers deploying their own cell sites is hardly a thing anymore.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
5G is dependent on having orders of magnitude more individual cell micro-sites, by some accounts spaced every 500 feet in every direction in densely populated areas. Someone has to provide the fiber network connectivity to backhaul each and every one of those cell micro-sites to the Internet and mobile phone service providers. Crown Castle is the big player in deploying micro-sites, each serving multiple mobile providers and they do own a lot of fiber too, having swallowed up several fiber providers. I could see Comcast, which also owns fiber infrastructure and has long-term leases for additional 'dark fiber' (controlling more than 150,000 route miles of fiber total) acquiring Crown Castle. No doubt there would be regulatory hurdles to such an acquisition.

Crown Castle is America’s largest provider of shared communications infrastructure, with more than 40,000 cell towers and approximately 60,000 route miles of fiber supporting small cells and fiber solutions across every major U.S. market.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_...rnational_Corp.
Oh, and here's what Comcast Business offers:

https://corporate.comcast.com/media/...stBusiness.pdf
Fascinating. I learned something new

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 4:06 AM
Ex Houstonian

Dont know what the new ugly building on the right is, but was just in downtown Philly for a little bit today. At least theres a ton of infill going in on that side of town.

CAT_6310 by photolitherland, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 11:24 AM

"Dont know what the new ugly building on the right is, but was just in downtown Philly for a little bit today. At least theres a ton of infill going in on that side of town."

For some reason there is no direct REPLY available to your Post, anyhow I believe it's a new apartment complex (Hanover - North Broad). Rents are $1900 - $4000).

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acenturi View Post
For some reason there is no direct REPLY available to your Post, anyhow I believe it's a new apartment complex (Hanover - North Broad). Rents are $1900 - $4000).
It was probably just off your screen because the picture was large.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Dont know what the new ugly building on the right is, but was just in downtown Philly for a little bit today. At least theres a ton of infill going in on that side of town.
Rental apartments with ground floor commercial/retail. Not the prettiest building, but much, much better than the massive, gaping parking lot that was there. North Broad and the neighborhoods surrounding it are certainly about to undergo a transformation.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 5:34 AM

Just a bit of a weekend filler. I love this BFP Cam. It moves and focuses automatically every few minutes. It's especially neat at night. https://www.earthcam.com/usa/pennsyl...ia/?cam=philly There are many other Philly online Cams, but I think this is the best one.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 10:23 PM

http://www2.philly.com/philly/entert...-20181011.html

UArts got a huge gift and wants to build a new dorm somewhere on or near Broad Street. Any thoughts as to where they'll end up building?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 12:51 AM

I had thought that it would be the Gersham Y site, but being that they are renovating as the article says, my guess would either be the parking lot in front of the 311 Juniper Street dorm, or the proposed tower in front of the Merriam Theater that was talked about a few years back.

Wish all this was happening about a dozen years ago when I was a student there-especially the sculpture studio remodel-that place was a dump when I was there....

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 1:31 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

I'm guessing they'll go for the Broad and Lombard 80-year-old surface lot that's been for sale for awhile

https://www2.colliers.com/Properties...147/USA1037789

Its too awkwardly shaped and overpriced for a typical developer, but it could be good for UArts- its adjacent to the Gershman Y. If they combine lot lines with it they could build something quite substantial on the surface lot by right-- this way they avoid the debacle they went through in the 90s when they tried to build a dorm at 311 South Broad (which was a mess for more than just red tape reasons).

That said, its UArts so don't count on smart decisions to be made... I went to grad school there many moons ago so I'm well aware at the general incompetence that pervades all levels of that place-- at least when I was there.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 7:04 PM

Probably just bluster but...

Skyscraper, not strip mall, now planned on North Broad Street, courtesy of Trump tax break

Quote:
Not long ago, the parking lot beside developer Eric Blumenfeld's Mural Lofts apartment building on North Broad Street was destined to be the future site of a shopping plaza with a bank and a convenience store.

Today, though, Blumenfeld wants to build an office and apartment tower at site, on the northeast corner of Broad and Spring Garden Streets, that would be Philadelphia's tallest building outside the city's central core.

(Fluff about opportunity zones)

Back at the corner of Broad and Spring Garden, developer Blumenfeld has been consulting with community groups and local leaders on a proposed $130 million tower that would rise 30 to 33 stories, making it the tallest building outside the dense agglomeration of central Philadelphia districts across Vine Street, about three blocks to the south.

The tower, to be called Mural West, would accommodate 250 apartments and two stories of offices, he said, with ground-floor restaurants that open onto a pedestrian plaza showcasing the Common Threads mural painted on Blumenfeld's Mural Lofts apartments, formerly the Thaddeus Stevens School.

It's a major shift from the Wawa and Bank of America branch that Blumenfeld's main financial partner on past North Broad Street ventures, New York-based investor Billy Procida, said was coming to the site, above a SEPTA Broad Street Line station, just a few years ago.

For Blumenfeld's previous projects in the area — such as Mural Lofts, the rehabilitation of the former Divine Lorraine Hotel into apartments, and the conversion of the Metropolitan Opera House building into a state-of-the-art concert venue for promoter Live Nation — he was able to cobble together historic tax credits and other public funding sources to get his investors a workable return.

But those projects were baby steps toward achieving what Blumenfeld described as his "mission in life": bringing vibrant street life to the strip of North Broad Street north of Center City. The possible tax windfall available to investors in his Mural West opportunity zone project could fuel a great leap forward, he said.

"This type of project puts bodies on the ground — not just residents but people working here — so there's a multiplier effect," he said. "To have this program, this sense of urgency, it helps bring North Broad Street along."
From: https://www2.philly.com/philly/busin...-20181015.html

What he is describing doesn't seem to match this conceptual rendering that floated around last month:

Both, however, point to imminent development of this lot. Blumenfeld gets stuff done.

Last edited by Urbanthusiat; Oct 15, 2018 at 8:42 PM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 8:36 PM

A tower on the northeast corner of Broad and Spring Garden Street; 30 to 33 floors; intriguing.

Does anyone know much about it?

Just a guess from my end which won't count for much seeing that I haven't seen the plans. I know the old State building is 19 floors with a section of the structure being higher so 30 to 33 floors should be a good deal higher than that. If remember from years ago when I use to attend meetings that the old Aramark Building which is now owned by Jefferson University was 32 floors and it was slightly over 400 feet; we use to watch the fireworks on Penn's Landing from the top.

I'm not sure but this early with the current designs of building who can say what the distance of the floor to ceiling ratio will be? Since most of the building is residential I guess the ratio is shorter but this can have a real impact on North Broad Street; but if the drawing from the article has any accuracy it seems to have a pretty prominent crown on top.

Looking forward to news about this; a new skyscraper.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 1:01 PM

Society Hill nimby's want to stop the by-right 31-story tower by B/P Group from getting off the ground -- who is surprised??

Meeting on Hi-Rise Development Proposal at Dock Street
Date: October 15, 2018
Time: 7:00 pm
At Pennsylvania Hospital Auditorium, 8th and Spruce entrance.
https://societyhillcivic.org/blog/category/calendar/

http://www.5thsq.org/support_1_dock_street

Society Hill Civic Association is hosting a meeting regarding the proposed 31-story, 273-unit development slated for 1 Dock St, currently the Sheraton Hotel. The new units would be a residential addition to the hotel, which sits across from Society Hill Towers, so there is already a precedent for high-density housing in this area.

See the Inquirer's coverage for project details.

This project is permitted by-right, but Society Hill Civic Association is appealing the already-approved units on this 2-acre site for all the standard reasons (density, height, views, etc). We believe this is an ideal use of this space, and is an appropriate level of density given the proximity of the property to Center City and waterfront amenities.

This meeting is just the first step in what will be an ongoing campaign by Philly YIMBY around Society Hill zoning remapping, which kicks off this fall in one of the richest and most notoriously change-resistant neighborhoods in the city.

Please consider coming out to this meeting and voicing your support for this project! After the meeting we'll head to the Khyber for drinks to debrief and talk next steps for organizing.

October 15, 2018 at 7pm – 8pm
Zubrow Auditorium
800 Spruce St
Philadelphia, PA 19107
United States
Google map and directions
1 person is going
Philly YIMBY
phillyyimby@gmail.com

----------------

If anyone has any further info -- pplease share.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
Society Hill nimby's want to stop the by-right 31-story tower by B/P Group from getting off the ground -- who is surprised??

Meeting on Hi-Rise Development Proposal at Dock Street
Date: October 15, 2018
Time: 7:00 pm
At Pennsylvania Hospital Auditorium, 8th and Spruce entrance.
https://societyhillcivic.org/blog/category/calendar/

http://www.5thsq.org/support_1_dock_street

Society Hill Civic Association is hosting a meeting regarding the proposed 31-story, 273-unit development slated for 1 Dock St, currently the Sheraton Hotel. The new units would be a residential addition to the hotel, which sits across from Society Hill Towers, so there is already a precedent for high-density housing in this area.

See the Inquirer's coverage for project details.

This project is permitted by-right, but Society Hill Civic Association is appealing the already-approved units on this 2-acre site for all the standard reasons (density, height, views, etc). We believe this is an ideal use of this space, and is an appropriate level of density given the proximity of the property to Center City and waterfront amenities.

This meeting is just the first step in what will be an ongoing campaign by Philly YIMBY around Society Hill zoning remapping, which kicks off this fall in one of the richest and most notoriously change-resistant neighborhoods in the city.

Please consider coming out to this meeting and voicing your support for this project! After the meeting we'll head to the Khyber for drinks to debrief and talk next steps for organizing.

October 15, 2018 at 7pm – 8pm
Zubrow Auditorium
800 Spruce St
Philadelphia, PA 19107
United States
Google map and directions
1 person is going
Philly YIMBY
phillyyimby@gmail.com

----------------

If anyone has any further info -- pplease share.
pretty sure this was last night.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 1:58 PM

^I know ... did anyone go? Any info?
I didn't hear of opposition until seeing that post from 5th Square.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 2:48 PM

I wonder how many NIMBYs against this tower live in the SH Towers? "I know I live in a modern high rise that doesn't conform with SH's quaint village atmosphere, but nobody else can."

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 4:05 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
NIMBYism and Society Hill go hand-in-hand, it doesn't matter what the project is-- private, public, etc etc. Here is a link to every newsletter they ever released:

https://societyhillcivic.org/about/p...etter-archive/

You'll find that there's not a single one that doesn't have a section about opposing some new development-- if they're not opposing they're dictating terms about how it should be.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 8:26 PM

Quote:
I was there. The gist of it was the civic association hired an attorney to appeal the zoning permit based on some supposed errors made by L&I in evaluating the application. They didn’t go into the specifics of these errors and it sounded to me like a losing battle. It’s a by-right project, I don’t think there’s much society hill can do about it. The developer wasn’t at the meeting so we don’t really know anything new about the project itself. If I were the civic I would be trying to negotiate with the developer to include additional community amenities like restaurant and retail but it seems that the civic will instead spend money on questionable appeals to try to delay the inevitable here.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 8:32 PM

^Very interesting. Thank you for the info.

B/P Group has deep pockets, and lots of experience now in the hotel, restaurant, and luxury apt/condo game -- so I'm sure it'll work out in the end (after some delays and nimby nonsense).

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
I was there. The gist of it was the civic association hired an attorney to appeal the zoning permit based on some supposed errors made by L&I in evaluating the application. They didn’t go into the specifics of these errors and it sounded to me like a losing battle. It’s a by-right project, I don’t think there’s much society hill can do about it. The developer wasn’t at the meeting so we don’t really know anything new about the project itself. If I were the civic I would be trying to negotiate with the developer to include additional community amenities like restaurant and retail but it seems that the civic will instead spend money on questionable appeals to try to delay the inevitable here.
I would assume that the plan to file appeals is not necessarily based on any sound legal basis as it is a plan to cause delays, which from their viewpoint might make the developer have 2nd thoughts about spending money and time on this site. This method has worked in the past

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations