HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 3:36 AM
Chicago

625 W Adams

February 16, 2017

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 3:37 AM
Chicago

1035 W Van Buren

February 16, 2017

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
They just need to work on that sulcus between JHC and River Point now.... River North, I'm looking at you...
Wow, are you a doctor or something - must be the first use of "sulcus" in like seventy thousand posts of this thread.

Actually, you may get your wish that an, er, sub-sulcus of your sulcus will get filled along Superior starting in the next year. Can't say more but based on numbers heard, from your angle the skyline would get a tiny bump there.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Actually, you may get your wish that an, er, sub-sulcus of your sulcus will get filled along Superior starting in the next year. Can't say more but based on numbers heard, from your angle the skyline would get a tiny bump there.
Huh, along Superior you say. For it to be planned as a decently tall tower, and from J_M_Tungsten's perspective, would mean that it has to be approximately east of Wells Street. However, the only three vacant lots on Superior, east of Wells, are at 110 W. Huron, Cathedral Parking Lot, and the Abott Hall surface lot at Northwestern. 110 W. Huron already has a plan in place. For Abbot Hall to be the site (and noticeable), it would have to be in +750 ft range. Northwestern isn't in an immediate hurry to give up the lot, so this site may be an unlikely option. The Cathedral site is a more likely candidate, because the church has already confirmed that they are seeking a developer for the site. Estimates for the lot have been placed as high as $100 million, so whoever buys it would want to plop something big. In this case for a proposed tower on this lot to peak out, with Park Tower and Water Tower Place in the background, the tower would have to be +850 ft.

Of course, this is assuming the tower will be built on an empty lot. Other options for different sites open up if the demolition route is taken instead, but not much more.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 9:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielschell View Post
I wasn't sure what you were seeing, so I talked to someone from McHugh down there today. According to him, there is nothing happening with the data center.
Hmm. Yeah im not sure what they were doing. I was using the web cam. But there was definetly two machines scooping and pushing dirt around the NW corner of that empty lot earlier this week. But now i have no clue what for, playing in the big sandbox maybe. Haha.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 10:37 AM

Has anyone heard anything about that highrise proposal for that dunkin donuts building at 400 s.Financial. It's been quiet for the last few years but there was an article on curbed which seems random, unless talks behind the curtain are starting up again. Spyguy...Bvic....you guys got anything?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE View Post
Has anyone heard anything about that highrise proposal for that dunkin donuts building at 400 s.Financial. It's been quiet for the last few years but there was an article on curbed which seems random, unless talks behind the curtain are starting up again. Spyguy...Bvic....you guys got anything?
I think a different developer has that property now. There was an article within the past week or two regarding the property I believe.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 3:06 PM

I finally saw a construction crew and equipment moving at the hotel site on 11th/Wabash yesterday.

Has anyone seen any activity on Nobu, or are they gaslighting us at this point?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 3:15 PM
Chicago picture-taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
I finally saw a construction crew and equipment moving at the hotel site on 11th/Wabash yesterday.

Has anyone seen any activity on Nobu, or are they gaslighting us at this point?
Nada at Nobu

Twitter: @buildupchicago

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 3:43 PM
Chicago picture-taker

Hilton McCormick Place

Caissons are almost done for the triple-brand Hilton, 123 East Cermak http://wp.me/p7uLxw-2lB

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 3:47 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielschell View Post
Nada at Nobu
Nobu isn't going to happen. I'm calling it.

They need to sell that site to a real developer.

I'm also getting a bad feeling about the OBriens hotel in Old Town

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Wow, are you a doctor or something - must be the first use of "sulcus" in like seventy thousand posts of this thread.

Not a doctor, but have worked in Radiology for the past 10 years. I guess some medical terminology unknowingly seeped into that post!

Intrigued at what would fill that, but excited for the prospect of anything.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 4:40 PM

What's so bad about this new design for that North Ave Hotel? It's not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than the beige precast prison they originally proposed:

DPD twitter feed

I actually really like the treatment of the corner on the new design. The chamfer at the bottom and the huge blade sign on the corner are really urban and will make a huge improvement over the existing gas station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

Yeah, I've been saying this about Nobu for a loooonnngg time. Mark Hunt is a total joker and already blew his chance to build Soho House in the old Three Arts Building in the last boom. Looks like he's going to take so long to get this deal started that he will blow Nobu too in this cycle. Wonder what neighborhood will be the next West Loop in 5-10 years when they actually get to build here? I think I'll try to figure that out and buy something I can lure Nobu into once Hunt finally screws the pooch on this one.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Mark Hunt is a total joker
Pretty much.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

They haven't torn down O'Briens yet, have they?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 7:13 PM

[QUOTE=LouisVanDerWright;7715550]What's so bad about this new design for that North Ave Hotel? It's not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than the beige precast prison they originally proposed:

DPD twitter feed

I actually really like the treatment of the corner on the new design. The chamfer at the bottom and the huge blade sign on the corner are really urban and will make a huge improvement over the existing gas station.

I agree with you on a lot of points, that this is a vast improvement over the gas station and the new design is much better.

What I do not like and wish they had rethought was the obscene focus on cars on the ground floor. The building immediately to the east has a car park along the alley separating the lot but dedicates retail space along North Avenue. It would have been great if they had moved the car entrance and egress to the alleys and left the street frontage to a lobby, coffee shop, or something to activate the street life. It's a highly trafficked area along Ashland and North, but the area is not devoid of pedestrian traffic.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 11:31 PM

The original design was a hell of a lot worse. But the design execution still fumbles. It's like...I get it, the budget is low, but there's all sorts of ways the architect can cope with that.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 11:47 PM
Chicago picture-taker

Shirley Ryan AbilityLab

They were putting up the lettering yesterday. And might as well post another shot of that fantastic driveway.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 11:50 PM

215 W Lake

Feb 17

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 1:51 AM

Three11 W Illinois

Feb 9

Feb 10

Feb 17

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations