HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
We can increase Seabus speed without high wakes with Catamarans over the more conventional Seabus hulls without as much of a wake- and thus, be faster.
The Sea Buses are all catamarans, the two newest also have bulbous bows. (four of them )

Higher speed runs were trialed with unacceptable wake produced, harbour traffic would cause schedule delays with higher speed runs. We will get higher frequencies soon but it will still be a 15min (really 12min most of the time) trip.

burrard otter ii@piet sinke 09-03-2014a (15) by Maasmondmaritime, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 5:34 AM

Quote:
We can increase Seabus speed without high wakes with Catamarans over the more conventional Seabus hulls without as much of a wake- and thus, be faster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catamaran#Resistance
Make cars for the rich only, I doubt you would have any complains from West Vancouver.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 5:56 AM
See ya down under, mates

Fred, Translink was decades too late in building a third seabus, and they're not even using it yet. A fourth one is in production. How is switching to something new realistic? Imagine the cost of redoing the terminals etc too, something that is also currently being heavily renovated.

You were talking about tolling existing bridges, not new ones.

It wouldn't be be "my" economy that's destroyed, it's OUR economy. The north shore is a vital part of metro Vancouver, even if you personally never visit. The goal is not to suffocate it.

Please, I beg you, stop this stream of consciousness posting and think a little more.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 5:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
The Sea Buses are all catamarans, the two newest also have bulbous bows. (four of them )

Higher speed runs were trialed with unacceptable wake produced, harbour traffic would cause schedule delays with higher speed runs. We will get higher frequencies soon but it will still be a 15min (really 12min most of the time) trip.

burrard otter ii@piet sinke 09-03-2014a (15) by Maasmondmaritime, on Flickr
Speeds should still steadily increase into the future (maybe to 10 minutes) with better material technology.

Maybe a gondola across wasn't such a horrible idea. The issue being the massive tower...

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 6:01 AM

Quote:
It doesn't travel on the WCE line, it travels on the Pacific Connector (a lot less congested) to Pacific Central, then on the Stratcona Interurban Spur to Waterfront.

I don't know how congested the Horseshoe Bay- North Van rail section is, but I wouldn't expect that much.

And Commuter Rail is pretty fast, faster than even Skytrain. Unlike ExpressBus, it actually hits the North Shore city Centers at First Narrows and Lonsdale, and takes a load off the Seabus.
Neptune Terminals doubled their coal export capacity, new G3 Grain Terminal, Richardson doubled their wheat cargo capacity:

Quote:
Despite ongoing construction, which began in September 2013 and concluded earlier this year, Richardson managed to set both rail and shipping records at its busy port terminal. While the facility typically ships about three million tonnes of grain each year, it set a new handling record in 2015, shipping 5.2 million tonnes. Richardson shipped 551,000 tonnes of grain in April 2016 alone, beating the previous record of 489,000 tonnes. That same month, the Vancouver terminal received 5,400 rail cars – 200 more than it has ever received in the same time period.
https://www.richardson.ca/richardson...pping-records/

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Neptune Terminals doubled their coal export capacity, new G3 Grain Terminal, Richardson doubled their wheat cargo capacity:

https://www.richardson.ca/richardson...pping-records/
We need another set of rail lines for a commuter rail, don't we?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 7:00 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
We need another set of rail lines for a commuter rail, don't we?
Yes, and along with ZERO demand for an east-west commuter rail to nowhere, there is absolutely no space. This is the corridor that you have to work with going through Lonsdale: https://goo.gl/maps/C6UxT4JTdos

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 8:09 AM
perhaps . . .

Sorry Fredinno, but you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Speculate if you want, but stop with the conclusive statements.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 8:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
Sorry Fredinno, but you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Speculate if you want, but stop with the conclusive statements.
I already did 2 posts ago.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 4:38 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
I already did 2 posts ago.
I think he means more in a general sense.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 3:31 AM

Anyways, Looking at Google Earth shows the Lonsdale Section is surrounded by ports, is relatively small, and should to be upgraded anyways, if it's that congested...

It's a single track most of the way from Second Narrows to the Ports, even in the sections where space is available... (perhaps because the lack of a larger bridge makes it pointless anyways.)

Plus, there are areas of WCE's track in Downtown Vancouver that can only be expanded by destroying roadway.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 4:13 AM
See ya down under, mates

OK well maybe take your dumb, unrealistic commuter rail fantasies to the transit fantasies thread instead of continuing to wreck this discussion about Hwy 1.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 4:38 AM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 18, 2020 at 1:06 AM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
The whole situation on the North Shore seems like it will require some serious creative solutions, even if flow can be improved the highway simply isnt all that wide, do highway express buses run here?
No, that's why I suggested it.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 5:35 AM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 18, 2020 at 1:06 AM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
It's certainly a logical idea lol, these coach style buses actually provide a very good service and I think intoducing some more Highway routes using them would be excellent!
In principle, it sounds like a good idea. However, when looking at the North Shore's unique geography and population distribution, I'm not sure how much of a benefit they would add to the transportation network. There's no highway east of the Second Narrows, so Seymour and Deep Cove passengers would still be on municipal streets. The portion between Capilano and the Second Narrows tends to get congested (and is where a large portion of the population already is), and the western portion - while clear - doesn't have a large enough population.

Perhaps if there were bus-only lanes on the highway, or on the Lower Levels Road, otherwise I'd think that a highway bus would just get stuck in the same traffic as the cars.

EDIT: If money's no object, a separated (or elevated) busway along the highway from Capilano to the Second Narrows, with bus-only lanes up and down Capilano, Lonsdale, Lynn Valley Road, and Mountain Highway, and down Westview, might be interesting.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
In principle, it sounds like a good idea. However, when looking at the North Shore's unique geography and population distribution, I'm not sure how much of a benefit they would add to the transportation network. There's no highway east of the Second Narrows, so Seymour and Deep Cove passengers would still be on municipal streets. The portion between Capilano and the Second Narrows tends to get congested (and is where a large portion of the population already is), and the western portion - while clear - doesn't have a large enough population.

Perhaps if there were bus-only lanes on the highway, or on the Lower Levels Road, otherwise I'd think that a highway bus would just get stuck in the same traffic as the cars.

EDIT: If money's no object, a separated (or elevated) busway along the highway from Capilano to the Second Narrows, with bus-only lanes up and down Capilano, Lonsdale, Lynn Valley Road, and Mountain Highway, and down Westview, might be interesting.
Gondolas would be better on the long term.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Gondolas would be better on the long term.
I really don't see a practical application for gondolas on the North Shore. Possibly for Lonsdale,Avenue, but where else would you use them?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
I really don't see a practical application for gondolas on the North Shore. Possibly for Lonsdale,Avenue, but where else would you use them?
Lonsdale to Lynn Valley Central?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 5:53 AM
See ya down under, mates

In case you missed it the first time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
OK well maybe take your dumb, unrealistic transit fantasies to the transit fantasies thread instead of continuing to wreck this discussion about Hwy 1.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure