HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

The Continental in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 2:09 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post
While I agree that the location has a number of positive elements, what I find most interesting about your post Citizen is the use of the term "Downtown Westboro". That's definately a new one for me.
This is not rocket science. If you look up Westboro on Wikipedia you will find that it is defined as the area bounded by Island Park, Scott ST (or the Ottawa River), Woodroff and Carling AVE. The Continental is actually in Westboro but not in the 'downtown' section of Westboro. I would say 'downtown' Westboro would probably be the area nearer to... lets' say....Richmond RD between Churchill / Golden AVE. More of the business dictrict of Westboro. Wouldn't you agree with that Ottawan?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 3:38 AM
Busy Beaver

The business area is referred to as "Westboro Village"

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 3:58 AM
Citizen-at-large

Sorry if I caused any offence, that was not my intention. In my mind a downtown generally has to do with an entire urban area and not a neighbourhood or district (and if we're looking back historically to Westboro Village as part of Nepean Township, already at that time it was adjascent to Hintonburg, which was annexed by the City of Ottawa, and not truly an independant village, therefore I would argue Westboro never even historically had a downtown).

I definately do agree in where you locate what I would call "Central Westboro", "The Heart of Westboro", "Westboro's Business District", "Westboro's Core", or as Kitchissippi says "Westboro Village".

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post
Sorry if I caused any offence, that was not my intention. In my mind a downtown generally has to do with an entire urban area and not a neighbourhood or district (and if we're looking back historically to Westboro Village as part of Nepean Township, already at that time it was adjascent to Hintonburg, which was annexed by the City of Ottawa, and not truly an independant village, therefore I would argue Westboro never even historically had a downtown).

I definately do agree in where you locate what I would call "Central Westboro", "The Heart of Westboro", "Westboro's Business District", "Westboro's Core", or as Kitchissippi says "Westboro Village".
I think the meaning of 'downtown' has blurred a bit in the last few decades to overlap significantly with related terms like 'core' or 'central'. But like many such word blurs in English, the change is not universal.

Somewhat OT, but where does the term 'downtown' come from? It seems like every city has a downtown but do they also have uptowns? Or is it only New York that has an uptown?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 12:16 AM
Living With My Mother

I actually like this project. It's remote enough that you can have some level of privacy and exclusivity. Yet it's also close enough that you're not doing the Queensway when you want to get somewhere. Definitely a place where you would still need a car. Plus the views towards the river are clean and attractive.

I would have bought there, excepting that the unit that would have worked best for me, the Atlantique, was sold out at all but the lowest level before I even heard about the project.

In fact, that's one of the reasons why I'm here so that I can get an inside scoop on things coming up that may fit my needs.

Last edited by Norman Bates; Nov 24, 2009 at 12:33 AM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 12:52 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
No pics since April! Anyone want to go by the site and take a picture of what's happening over there?
I walked past a few weeks ago. They still seemed to be engaged in shoring in a few places, but by and large the exterior foundation walls are in place. They've also started to build the interior basement/garage walls.

But that was a few weeks ago.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 8:12 PM

I haven't seen much going on other than the excavation is finished, and that the exterior walls were done on the main foundation...

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 1:59 AM

Smile

My wife & I recently bought the Victoria model on the 9th floor. It is a corner unit and has SE-S-SW exposure so it should be bright and sunny in the winter. This location was very attractive for us as we did not want to live in the busy, commercialized Westboro village. The building entrance off Cleary AVE will be only a few feet from the NCC paths and trails as well.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 3:32 AM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen 4829 View Post
My wife & I recently bought the Victoria model on the 9th floor. It is a corner unit and has SE-S-SW exposure so it should be bright and sunny in the winter. This location was very attractive for us as we did not want to live in the busy, commercialized Westboro village. The building entrance off Cleary AVE will be only a few feet from the NCC paths and trails as well.
Congratulations, it truly is a classy and gorgeous building. I hope you'll post some pictures of and from the inside of your new home when you take possession. Has the builder said what they were going to do with the retail space on the ground level? Will it be a little store or will they use it as amenity space for the condo?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille Sabords View Post
Has the builder said what they were going to do with the retail space on the ground level? Will it be a little store or will they use it as amenity space for the condo?
Gee...I wonder, it's Charlesfort so its parking, an underused excercise room or a commercial space that's almost too small for anything...but I am not bitter about the Glasgow

Old Posted Nov 27, 2009, 1:49 AM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by archie-tect View Post
Gee...I wonder, it's Charlesfort so its parking, an underused excercise room or a commercial space that's almost too small for anything...but I am not bitter about the Glasgow
One can hope... I mean, some builders DO pick up lessons from one building to the next over the course of a 20-year building career...

Old Posted Nov 27, 2009, 3:48 AM
National Capital Region

FWIW, on the other side of Cleary there is a strip mall with a number of fairly stable businesses (including a Polish deli); that strip mall itself is slated to become a slightly shorter condo so there may be an opportunity for some of those businesses to move over.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2009, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
FWIW, on the other side of Cleary there is a strip mall with a number of fairly stable businesses (including a Polish deli); that strip mall itself is slated to become a slightly shorter condo so there may be an opportunity for some of those businesses to move over.

Speaking of that Polish deli, if anyone is interested in trying authentic Polish pierogis, go that that Polish deli, they have very good ones which they get from Toronto. Try the sauerkraut/mushroom ones, my favourite!

Never, ever get that garbage they sell in groceries stores, those are not real pierogies, trust me, I am Polish and a pierogi expert!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 12:39 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille Sabords View Post
Congratulations, it truly is a classy and gorgeous building. I hope you'll post some pictures of and from the inside of your new home when you take possession. Has the builder said what they were going to do with the retail space on the ground level? Will it be a little store or will they use it as amenity space for the condo?
There is only one small space devoted to retail in The Continental and it fronts on Richmond RD. The sales staff at Charlesfort have said that it will be used for a medical/dental or legal office but my guess is it won't be used for that. Quite frankly, that's good in my opinion. This is the residential building we will be living in. There is plenty of commercial space a short walk away in Westboro village. Were not interested in having commercial space mixed in the same building we will be living in, like some of those condo developments in Westboro village.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 12:42 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
I talked to the owner of that Polish deli last week. He said that strip mall is not being demolished and that The City has denied the developers request for development?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 11:49 AM

Smile Pics of Continental

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
No pics since April! Anyone want to go by the site and take a picture of what's happening over there?

I have some pics taken 28/11/2009....not sure how to post ?

Last edited by Citizen 4829; Nov 29, 2009 at 12:00 PM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Go to imgur.com and upload a picture.

Browse to the image location on your local machine and select the picture file.

Click Continue.

Right click on the link under 'The Image' (circled in red) and select 'copy link location' or 'copy shortcut'.

Then when creating a post here, just click on the little yellow picture of a mountain (show below with a red circle). In the box that pops up, replace the highlighted text (starting with http://) with the full link you copied from the imgur.com page (which should also start with http://).

You should end up with a line in your post something like the following:

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 1:42 AM

Quote:

http://imgur.com/1ZpOU.jpg
Looking E on Richmond RD, Polish Deli in background.

http://imgur.com/J0RaR.jpg
Looking W on Richmond RD

Level B parking level complete and Level A parking level roof about to be poured.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
http://imgur.com/1ZpOU.jpg
Looking E on Richmond RD, Polish Deli in background.

http://imgur.com/J0RaR.jpg
Looking W on Richmond RD

Level B parking level complete and Level A parking level roof about to be poured.

There is an easy way to post these pictures......

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 12:31 AM

I drove past there this afternoon on my way home from school (I'm on a course in Kanata this week), and I saw that they are going to be at ground level very soon...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa