HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Area Photos & Videos

Old Posted Nov 13, 2011, 4:58 PM

Great thread!

Here's a few grainy old film pics from the east end I shot sometime back in the 90's:

...and here's a few newer ones from the past couple of years:

Every time I come back to London its interesting to contrast all the new development with all the same old un-velopment(?)

I guess the more things change the more they stay the same...

Old Posted Nov 13, 2011, 6:43 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

^ Awesome pictures, welcome to the forum!

I like that 6 story old industrial building in the first one, it has always intrigued me.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2011, 8:02 PM

Thanks!

that building on Nightingale Ave is deffinitely one of my favourites too.

http://www.emporis.com/building/471-...-london-canada

I'm pretty sure it was abandonded when I took that photo. I guess its part of some canoe/kayak company now, but I never knew what it was originally built for. Do you know??

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 2:09 AM

do you guys remember when there was a whole block of abandoned houses where that red brick affordable housing tower went up? right by cch. I have some pictures kicking around somewhere i think.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 1:52 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I visited the legendary London Mall the other day just for kicks (well, actually taking my kids to McShitties nearby). In the hall facing Oxfart, there is only the Sears outlet store (itself a very tired, depressing place of scratch&dents and undesired merch). In the hall facing Wonderland, there was some Asian hair salon and next door, Schmokey's BBQ...and temporarily, Finch the Bald Auto Shiller has taken over Price Chopper as his indoor showroom (across the street, a new pavilion is under construction). Despite the addition of Finch, the place was deader than ever. Outdoors, it appears that most stores facing the parking lot are abandoned, save Bubble tea and kelsey's.

PHotos coming soon.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I visited the legendary London Mall the other day just for kicks (well, actually taking my kids to McShitties nearby)...
Did you notice the posting on Wonderland concerning the zone change application for the site? Unfortunately, the Legend won't live on much longer.

As for the McDee's, I can remember eating there well over 40 years ago. It's likely the restaurant that has sold more meals to people than any other in the city's history. If it weren't a fast food joint but instead something like the Elmhurst, it would likely be considered a historic site. Strange but true.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolognium View Post
Off the top of my head I can think of two (three including Mill St.) boarded-up houses around my neighbourhood:

That house stands no more! Demolished a few weeks ago. Not sure if anything else is going to go up.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 6:51 PM
most inspired name ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
Did you notice the posting on Wonderland concerning the zone change application for the site? Unfortunately, the Legend won't live on much longer.

As for the McDee's, I can remember eating there well over 40 years ago. It's likely the restaurant that has sold more meals to people than any other in the city's history. If it weren't a fast food joint but instead something like the Elmhurst, it would likely be considered a historic site. Strange but true.
That Mcdonalds is actually the first in Canada. London is the test market for many things since we're so damn average. Ex the huge wallmart super center in hyde park, the drive through beer store on Wharncliffe, and recently rogers pick and choose cable packages

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 9:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
Did you notice the posting on Wonderland concerning the zone change application for the site? Unfortunately, the Legend won't live on much longer. .

Ummm who knows anything about this?
J

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondONstudent View Post
That Mcdonalds is actually the first in Canada. London is the test market for many things since we're so damn average. Ex the huge wallmart super center in hyde park, the drive through beer store on Wharncliffe, and recently rogers pick and choose cable packages
A technicality, but...

That McDonalds was the first in Eastern Canada.

I can think of a few other test market products/services that have been in London:

- Tim Hortons Iced Cappuccinos - first available in London in the summer of 1998, launched nationally in 1999
- Yellow Pages CD-ROMs - available in London in late 1996, before the widespread adoption of the Internet and online phone listings
- Viagara's Canadian introduction was apparently in London

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 3:20 AM
User Registered

Don't forget the debit card!

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 6:54 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
A technicality, but...

That McDonalds was the first in Eastern Canada.

I can think of a few other test market products/services that have been in London:

- Tim Hortons Iced Cappuccinos - first available in London in the summer of 1998, launched nationally in 1999
- Yellow Pages CD-ROMs - available in London in late 1996, before the widespread adoption of the Internet and online phone listings
- Viagara's Canadian introduction was apparently in London
Yeah, I lived in Richmond, BC (home of the first McRotten's in Canada). Incidentally, I met George Cohon several times (original franchisee of the London outlet; later President of McD's Canada), in my days as a mgr at Mickey D's.

Quote:
The company was founded by Chicago-born George Cohon. The first store opened in 1968 as the Western Canadian franchisee and operated with the U.S. operations. Cohon was the Eastern Canadian franchise and opened his store in 1968. In 1971, Cohon merged the two operations to one national operation. Cohon was responsible for developing the eastern Canadian franchises. The first McDonald's restaurant in Canada was opened in 1967 in Richmond, British Columbia by western franchise owners. It was also the first McDonald's restaurant outside of the United States. In 2007, McDonald's Canada had 1,400 stores (including Wal-Mart Canada locations) in Canada, and more than 77,000 Canadian employees.
Wikipedia

Quote:
1967 The first McDonald's restaurant outside the United States opened in Richmond, British Columbia.

1968 As Franchisee for Eastern Canada, George A. Cohon opened the first McDonald's in London, Ontario.

1970 McDonald's 50th Canadian restaurant opened in Dieppe, New Brunswick.

1971 McDonald's operations in Eastern and Western Canada were amalgamated and George A. Cohon was named President and Chief Executive Officer, McDonald's Restaurants of Canada Limited.
McDonalds.ca
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2011, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumLeap View Post
Ummm who knows anything about this?
J
Unfortunately, nothing to get worked up about. A car dealership up the road wants to use the lot as a temporary dealership while they renovate their existing facility.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2011, 3:27 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

I always thought that the McDonald's on Oxford was a newer one built in a retro style. You would think that the first one would have been on Wharncliffe or something.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpseatles View Post
I always thought that the McDonald's on Oxford was a newer one built in a retro style. You would think that the first one would have been on Wharncliffe or something.
You're right. The McDonald's on that site was built in 2001, with the retro look as a nod to the history of the location. There was a previous McDonald's on that site that was demolished in early 2001, but it was a typical McDonald's of that era, similar to the one below.

http://my.tbaytel.net/jmehagan/stree...dsredriver.JPG

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 4:09 AM

McCormicks/Kellogs

Has anyone recently checked out McCormicks or the recently abandoned Kellog's factory? I hear the McCormicks factory has been bought by a construction company and is in the process of being re-created into something newer (old folks home, or residential block). Anyways I'm just kinda sitting here looking at the history of London and all the abandoned stuff it has to offer. Also, another one that kinda intrigued me was the Wonderland Gardens Swimming Pool. Whats going on there now? I remember passing it as a child on the bike path and it was just so eerie and now I have seen people in and around it.

Thanks!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 3:55 PM
Sanity merchant

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 5:32 PM
The Vomit Bag.

the abandoned creep is proceeding up Wharncliffe and Oxfart (the milk jug-looking homes)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Area Photos & Videos