HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi
Which building? The MCS or the Book Cadillac? The MCS lost all of its window because of vandalism over the years. Same with the Book Cadillac, however a lot of changes have been made since work crews began attending to her. I'm sure a lot of the windowless holes are due to the renovation.
I'm talking about the Book Cadillac, it seems like the back of the building has been partly cut away or sumthing, im not talking about where the windows were

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfane
Doesnt Detroit's mayor look like a pimp? lol
No, he does not.

And what do you mean run everything into the ground?

Quote:
i Guess this what you get when you keep voting crooks into office and they run the city like a city in Rwanda and run everything into the ground.
No, this is not what you get when you vote crooks into office. What you get when you vote crooks into office is what happened in the case with former City Councilman, Alonzo Bates. He is in Federal Court charged with employing "ghost employees", namely his former girlfriend and her daughter.

Hear me out: The girlfriend worked full time at a hospital. The daughter attended New York University full time. In other words, SHE LIVED IN NEW YORK. Both were paid middle-income wages to do absolutely nothing for Bates...all at the taxpayers' expense.

I find it offensive that people think Detroiters are going to just vote in crooks, simply because they don't care. You've been listening to people, haven't you?

Another case occurred when former City Clerk Jackie Curry screwed up the voting system so much, that dead people were casting their votes all over the city. Detroiters were just as furious as in the Lonnie Bates scandal, that Jackie Curry's opponent, Janet Winfrey won by a landslide. Curry just bitched and moaned that she did nothing wrong, even though the clerks office was falling apart.

So, to answer your question, no the mayor is not a pimp and no, residents don't vote in crooks. The mayoral race is not just confined to the city. It is in terms of who can vote, but people here are smart enough that the election of the mayor of the city of Detroit is a decision that affects the entire region...all 5 million of us.

Detroit's history goes back farther than the 1980s, when it was possibly at its worst. It takes more than just a mayor for the city to be the way it is today. To think otherwise is just simple minded and lazy.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toog05
I'm talking about the Book Cadillac, it seems like the back of the building has been partly cut away or sumthing, im not talking about where the windows were
Oh yah. That's just the way the building was built. It has always been like that. Looking at the front of the building, you would think it was a huge square, but in fact, the Book Cadillac layout is more like an "L-shape", but with like one other corner and side.

This design actually created a challenge for renovation plans because hotel rooms and hallway corridors back then were so small, it was difficult for architects to figure out which walls can be knocked out to create new hotel and condo units.

EDIT:
I guess "U-shaped" would better describe the layout.

http://www.forgottendetroit.com/cadd...uestfloor.html

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 2:28 AM
Posh

Wow, it's like the good, the bad and the ugly all rolled into one.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 5:54 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Quote:
its so sad to see a once great city be turned into a deserted wasteland. i Guess this what you get when you keep voting crooks into office and they run the city like a city in Rwanda and run everything into the ground.

I hope the people get smart there 1 day and stop voting for their boys and vote people in who want to bring jobs in etc.
*tears*

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 6:24 AM

Quote:
its so sad to see a once great city be turned into a deserted wasteland. i Guess this what you get when you keep voting crooks into office and they run the city like a city in Rwanda and run everything into the ground.

I hope the people get smart there 1 day and stop voting for their boys and vote people in who want to bring jobs in etc.
What you're saying sounds ignorant and probably racist...what do you really know about Detroit to make this claim

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 6:26 AM
E pluribus unum

Alright, if I'm ever in Detroit I have to check out MCS. Too freaking cool, and you guys captured everything great about Detroit's past, present and future.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 11:55 PM
SNWEB.ORG

Like the wide angle shots.

Shots are way over-saturated and have too much contrast, it makes it appear more brighter and thus unrealistic, but they are nice anyways.

Hope you enjoyed the city.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 12:36 AM

Great shots! Very fascinating place.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 4:52 AM
Honored Member

How could anyone think Fort St is dangerous? Sure it is gritty but what early 20th century industrial corridor isn't?

And why do so many think all of Detroit's downtown skyscrapers are abandoned? The only major skyscrapers that are abandoned are Broderick Tower, the UA Building, and the David Whitney building. And the Broderick Tower is slated to be renovated into condos and so that leaves the UA Building and the David Whitney Building that have uncertain futures.

Great pics! I especially love the skyline shot at the end.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 1:30 PM
DET->CLT->DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColDayMan View Post
*tears*
I hope you are *tearing* over the ignorance of the statements and not to fan these flames of ignorance to continue to pollute... especially in light of Michi's thoughtful and reasoned argument to counter such really tactless statements.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 3:51 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

^Of course. I can't *tears* anymore?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos