HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Nakheel Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Dubai Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jun 22, 2008, 6:20 PM

I know this is likely to start a firestorm of "don't derail us with this question thats been asked a million times", so, please feel free to point me in the direction of where to find the answer. But does no one give thought to who the hell will fill all of these massive towers? Is there data on vacancy rates in Dubai?

I understand the concept of build it and they will come, but there really has to be a limit. No?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2008, 8:25 PM
Hala Wal'la

well im no expert , but lets take one example just for the hell of it !

Egypt currently has 78 million people .... by 2030 its expected to reach double that and these figures were mentioned by the president of egypt adressing the people a few weeks back , anyway

its a hell of alot easier for egyptian (teachers , fresh graduate engineers and doctors , pilots) to settle down and find jobs and make families in a country which is considered a million times better than Egypt (the UAE) the standard of living here is tons of times better and now they can actually save up and buy property and live in a culture very similar to theirs in many ways ... so lets say out of the 40 maybe 50 ? million over loading the egyptian Regime , 1 million settle in the UAE , wont they need a place to settle and multiply ? ><

another example and ive noticed this recently.... professionals of arab desent coming to the gulf area to settle and raise there teenage children in an enviroment more fitting to them after spending 20+ years in the US / canada / australia and the UK !

Yum

Old Posted Jun 23, 2008, 7:08 AM

Mt. Dubai aka Tall Tower

Is this a definate go ? When is this monstrosity scheduled to start construction? Im going to have to schedule a trip to Dubai sometime early in the next decade...

wow..

Old Posted Jun 23, 2008, 8:16 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

I can only imagine how deep this building's foundations will be, and will it be deep enough to support such a "Tall Tower."

Good Bye America, World's tallest building will be in the Persian Gulf for the next 100 years

Old Posted Jun 23, 2008, 8:43 AM

There goes "ALL" of the worlds materials!!! There won't be any steel left to make other buildings, no glass, concrete!

Seriously though... I forgot where I read this/seen this (I believe it was when they where making the Trade Centers + Sears), but when those building where being made it slowed construction of all buildings world wide for a good while due to a shortage of building materials. Kinda "Wait in line" for your sh*t type deal... I can't imagine what this will do!

Last edited by PIZ; Jun 23, 2008 at 8:56 AM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2008, 11:27 AM
Architecture student

I don't think that such a design as in the render (which isn't official) is not really possible to be build. The pressure from all those floors on the bottom floors would be enormous...

Why do you think that all skyscrapers that are build end in a peek or keel? That's to lower the pressure on the bottom floors.

And more than 1,000m of concrete, steel and glass, what would be the weight of that? It would be enormous! Too much for the basement floors and the rest at the bottom of the tower.

But that's my opinion, although I'm sure of it.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 12:50 AM

Well maybe they'll use some carbon fiber reinforced plastics on the upper floors.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 1:38 AM

This is sorta ridiculous. A lot of the fun of skyscrapers for me is that they are driven by economic factors, whereas even if this is possible from a physical standpoint there is absolutely NO WAY this could possibly be a profitable venture. That is why Dubai sort of makes me sick in a way. I don't want it to sound like sour grapes but it's frustrating.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
Is this a definate go ? When is this monstrosity scheduled to start construction? Im going to have to schedule a trip to Dubai sometime early in the next decade...

wow..
in my upinion it is ! end i think the pictures speak for it self !
the plot is wat the plot was for the burj dubai in the bigining of 2003

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=153876
end here is my flickr page http://www.flickr.com/people/henrikkarlskoga/

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 6:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequal View Post
I don't think that such a design as in the render (which isn't official) is not really possible to be build. The pressure from all those floors on the bottom floors would be enormous...

Why do you think that all skyscrapers that are build end in a peek or keel? That's to lower the pressure on the bottom floors.

And more than 1,000m of concrete, steel and glass, what would be the weight of that? It would be enormous! Too much for the basement floors and the rest at the bottom of the tower.

But that's my opinion, although I'm sure of it.
The lithosphere probably couldn't support such artificial weight.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 6:27 AM
Hala Wal'la

The will place a HUGE block of titanium the size of the sear tower under the piles , that should do it ! XD haha

Yum

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 7:27 AM

Yeah, the higher the gas prices, the taller the middle-eastern towers get

As for the design, it might be Burj Dubai-esque where the structure tapers, unlike the (very) old monolithic rendering of Al Burj.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 9:29 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

It will have to taper. I don't see any other way of building this. I don't know what the hell Nakheel (the guys building it) are trying to do here. It will cost way too much and what benefit will this be to them and the city? It'll also be ridiculously expensive to maintain. But then again nothing at Nakheel makes much sense.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
It will have to taper. I don't see any other way of building this. I don't know what the hell Nakheel (the guys building it) are trying to do here. It will cost way too much and what benefit will this be to them and the city? It'll also be ridiculously expensive to maintain. But then again nothing at Nakheel makes much sense.
Same was said for the Burj Dubai.

I am guessing its been said for just about any revolutionary skyscraper ever built. Indeed, maybe even the builders of the pyramids said the same thing, but they made it anyway.
--

I remain surprised that there are still a few visionaries in this messed up world, people with ideas that can inspire and make the world a slightly more interesting place.

I can't wait to see the final designs.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calrissian View Post
Same was said for the Burj Dubai.

I am guessing its been said for just about any revolutionary skyscraper ever built. Indeed, maybe even the builders of the pyramids said the same thing, but they made it anyway.
--

I remain surprised that there are still a few visionaries in this messed up world, people with ideas that can inspire and make the world a slightly more interesting place.

I can't wait to see the final designs.
While the Burj Dubai is indeed insane, It's still only around 2100 feet in terms of roof height, and spire-less buildings U/C like the Russia Tower and the Chiacgo Spire can achieve nearly the same roof height.

Really, 4600-ft tall skyscraper? One can probably build a downtown complex with that amount of money, although this is Dubai, I wouldn't be surprised if it costed less than the WTC complex.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
Another design change and height change. It seems this happens 2 or 3 times a year. I'd say it'll change again in a few months. I wouldn't believe anything until an official statement and official render come out.

I say the final design gonna look more like the Illinois planned for Chicago yrs. ago and that is still a vision waiting for a developer. Do I say SOM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 12:38 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Sorry, but this borders on retarded. Simply a publcity stunt.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 2:42 AM
Ex Houstonian

Guys, holy crap, look at this! Theres not a Dubai thread really so Ill put it here! The worlds first rotating tower to be built in Dubai. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7472559.stm

Last edited by photoLith; Jun 25, 2008 at 5:37 AM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 5:34 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

^^^Wow. How old and uneventful. And yes, ther ARE Dubai threads.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 5:37 AM
Ex Houstonian

Oh, well sorry, I didnt know, I saw it on the BBC website and had never heard of it and as a common passerby through this website every day i would have thought that I would have heard something about this project but whatever I guess that no one can post info on here without getting criticized.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive