HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
Looks like Windsor is going to try to join Detroit in its bid for the HQ2. Mayor Drew Dilkens has been in discussions with billionaire Dan Gilbert to have Windsor become part of the bid. Interesting, but I'm not sure how that would work!

http://windsorstar.com/news/local-ne...-for-amazon-hq
The international aspect will certainly set it apart from any other bid. Whatever works to stand out.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 6:47 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Likewise, the Region of Waterloo is apparently supporting Toronto's bid, but I have no idea what that means in concrete terms.
supporting or joining? If Amazon comes to Toronto, then many GTA tech firms will have to expand the area they recruit from to include Waterloo (if they weren't already).

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Housing prices have to be low and taxes relatively low.
Then Toronto is out the window.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
The international aspect will certainly set it apart from any other bid. Whatever works to stand out.
The Detroit-Windsor idea is very bright. The biggest issue would likely be that major improvements would be needed for public transportation including cross-border.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
So there was a good discussion about this move on the CBC radio this morning.

Amazon is looking at adding mostly engineering staff. But are having an issue recruiting to the Seattle region for a number of issues. Housing cost and 47 are 2 of the problems.

What they need is a business central location, Access to mass transit and room in the central business location to build the facility. Housing prices have to be low and taxes relatively low.
They were talking about it on CBC in Toronto this morning as well. The biggest problem Toronto itself has, according to the guy they interviewed, is a lack of space for the size of facility that would be required.

If it did end up in Ontario, I suspect it will end up in the 905, the outskirts of K-W, or Kanata.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 6:55 AM

Calgary would be best Canadian destination for Amazon's HQ2, data cruncher says

Vancouver data analyst says Calgary is top contender north of the border based on the criteria

By Stephen Hunt, CBC News Posted: Sep 20, 2017 2:17 PM MT Last Updated: Sep 20, 2017 2:20 PM MT

A Vancouver data analyst crunched some data about which Canadian city is the best candidate to win the bid for Amazon's expansion, and when all was said and done, Vancouver didn't come out on top.

Jens Von Bergmann, who is a data analyst for Mountain Math, took a look at a recent New York Times article, from the Upshot blog, which analyzed which American city would be the best fit for Amazon to locate its second headquarters. However, the analysis left out Canada — despite Amazon stating it's interested in a North American site.

"I reran the New York Times analysis for Canadian cities and what came up is that Calgary is the winner for Canadian cities," Von Bergmann said on The Calgary Eyeopener.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...mann-1.4298204

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 1:36 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
They were talking about it on CBC in Toronto this morning as well. The biggest problem Toronto itself has, according to the guy they interviewed, is a lack of space for the size of facility that would be required.

If it did end up in Ontario, I suspect it will end up in the 905, the outskirts of K-W, or Kanata.

I doubt it will end up here, but there is a huge amount of space in the central city that could be brought online in a relatively quick manner if there was the impetus from a tenant like Amazon. Specifically thinking of the Unilever site and potentially sites in the Port Lands area. It's not ready today, but Amazon won't exactly be relocating 50,000 employees overnight. Anywhere they relocate would require custom built offices and I'm pretty sure their timelines go a number of years out.

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2016/11/...-redevelopment

Quote:
Envisioned as one of the largest developments in Canadian history, the re-imagining of Toronto's Unilever Site could deliver a radically intensified urban context to a 60-acre remnant of 20th-century industry. Now marketed as 'East Harbour,' First Gulf's vision proposes calls for the vacant brownfield site to be transformed into one of the city's primary commercial hubs, employing up to 50,000 people across some 11.5 million ft² of new office space.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 1:41 PM
I am the law!

Estimated they will require 500,000 square feet for the first few years.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 1:45 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Calgary would be best Canadian destination for Amazon's HQ2, data cruncher says

Vancouver data analyst says Calgary is top contender north of the border based on the criteria

By Stephen Hunt, CBC News Posted: Sep 20, 2017 2:17 PM MT Last Updated: Sep 20, 2017 2:20 PM MT

A Vancouver data analyst crunched some data about which Canadian city is the best candidate to win the bid for Amazon's expansion, and when all was said and done, Vancouver didn't come out on top.

Jens Von Bergmann, who is a data analyst for Mountain Math, took a look at a recent New York Times article, from the Upshot blog, which analyzed which American city would be the best fit for Amazon to locate its second headquarters. However, the analysis left out Canada — despite Amazon stating it's interested in a North American site.

"I reran the New York Times analysis for Canadian cities and what came up is that Calgary is the winner for Canadian cities," Von Bergmann said on The Calgary Eyeopener.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...mann-1.4298204
Calm down Calgary. Every Joe Schmoes doesn't need to be given five minutes of fame.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 1:57 PM

There are too many factors he doesn't take into consideration in his analysis, such as Calgary being in the West of the continent while for balance sake Amazon might be looking for a foothold in the East, closer to the East Coast metropolises. He mentions that Vancouver is too close to Seattle, but Calgary is as well.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
There are too many factors he doesn't take into consideration in his analysis, such as Calgary being in the West of the continent while for balance sake Amazon might be looking for a foothold in the East, closer to the East Coast metropolises. He mentions that Vancouver is too close to Seattle, but Calgary is as well.
Calgary meets the minimum size threshold, but it's not that big, and it's geographically isolated, far from other population centres. U.S. metros in this size range, like Raleigh-Durham, are much closer to other major population centres.

Calgary's labour force doesn't really match Amazon's needs nearly as well as a lot of other cities in the east. There's really no chance for Calgary, or any Canadian city besides Toronto.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Calgary meets the minimum size threshold, but it's not that big, and it's geographically isolated, far from other population centres. U.S. metros in this size range, like Raleigh-Durham, are much closer to other major population centres.

Calgary's labour force doesn't really match Amazon's needs nearly as well as a lot of other cities in the east. There's really no chance for Calgary, or any Canadian city besides Toronto.
Not to mention that Calgary doesn't have the greatest public transit system in the world (unless you're on the LRT downtown) and it's airport is largely domestic. Two key criteria that it can't really meet.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
Not to mention that Calgary doesn't have the greatest public transit system in the world (unless you're on the LRT downtown) and it's airport is largely domestic. Two key criteria that it can't really meet.
Their airport isn't largely domestic? It's comparable to YUL.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
Calgary has the 10th highest transit ridership in USA+Canada. The only American cities that beat it are: New York, Washington, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, and Philladelphia, all of which have over 3x Calgary's population. I don't know by what you measure the quality of a transit system but I'd say the only measure that matters is how much people use it and the people of Calgary seem to find it very useful.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 6:45 PM

According to the financial post Calgary is in a horse race with Denver to be the next home.

Sorry Toronto, Calgary and Denver seen in horse race for Amazon HQ

http://business.financialpost.com/ne...in-amazons-hq2

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 7:05 PM

It's old but from CNN 10 days ago.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/11/tech...ies/index.html

Atlanta
Pittsburgh
Toronto
Dallas
Austin
Boston
San Jose
Washington DC

8 cities fit for Amazon's second headquarters
by Matt McFarland @mattmcfarland September 11, 2017: 12:19 PM ET

When Amazon announced plans to open a second headquarters in North America last week, cities were quick to express interest in hosting its new facilities.

Mayors from Toronto to Tulsa Oklahoma rushed out responses, calling their cities prime candidates.

"This is a transformational opportunity unlike any that we've ever seen," Pittsburgh Mayor William Peduto said in a statement.

It's no surprise cities would clamor at this possibility; after all, Amazon will spend billions of dollars developing the headquarters and hire 50,000 workers.

While many would love to call their city a home for Amazon, some locations make more sense than others.

Given Amazon's interest in a sizable city with good transportation, strong schools and a talented workforce, here are cities the tech giant should consider:

continued here: http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/11/tech...ies/index.html

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
According to the financial post Calgary is in a horse race with Denver to be the next home.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 7:14 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:

"...said Adam Waterous, a member of the executive advisory committee of Calgary’s bid."

I've never used an emoji on a discussion forum before, but I think I'm finally ready to pop my cherry. So here goes:

But wait, it gets better. I think this one might even be worth two emojis.

"Waterous said Calgary’s optimism is based on data rather than 'rooting for the home team.'"

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Some very valid points within the write up. What is so comical within the piece?

(You must have just read the title. It's actually made me laugh... probably with a different tone than yours though)

I see Rousseau may have explained it.

Where is the report out of Toronto?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Some very valid points within the write up. What is so comical within the piece?

(You must have just read the title. It's actually made me laugh... probably with a different tone than yours though)

I see Rousseau may have explained it.

Where is the report out of Toronto?

Sorry I didn't write my own report. I did read your link and it was funny.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada