HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 5:06 PM
masonh2479's Avatar
masonh2479 masonh2479 is online now
Semper Fidelis (PPL)
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Austin, Texas | Green Bay, Wisconsin
Posts: 623
AUSTIN | Executive Airport Updates (KEDC)

KEDC looks to be getting a runway extension as part of their master plan. RWY 13/31 will be extending at the RWY 31 threshold around 1,000ft. Bringing the runway length from 6,025ft to around 7,000ft. The new RWY 31 approach will have precision approach surface 50:1.



Information on what a precision approach runway entails can be found here:https://www.ngs.noaa.gov/AERO/oisspec.html

The Austin Executive Airport master plan so far can be found here:http://www.austinexecutiveairport.com/plan.html
__________________
“Never tell me the odds!” — Han Solo

https://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=aus

Last edited by masonh2479; Apr 5, 2018 at 8:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 12:29 AM
skylerspaeth's Avatar
skylerspaeth skylerspaeth is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Austin
Posts: 27
Excited for this new thread. Random question, but why isn't there an FAA diagram for EDC? Is it because its a privately owned field or something?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 12:46 AM
masonh2479's Avatar
masonh2479 masonh2479 is online now
Semper Fidelis (PPL)
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Austin, Texas | Green Bay, Wisconsin
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylerspaeth View Post
Excited for this new thread. Random question, but why isn't there an FAA diagram for EDC? Is it because its a privately owned field or something?
I'm not quite sure. It could be because of no precision approaches yet or it could be because the airport is not towered. I searched for airport diagrams for KEDC and this was all I found:
Edit: Austin Executive does have a control tower that opened February 23, 2018.
http://txtopaviation.com/pirep-austi...control-tower/
__________________
“Never tell me the odds!” — Han Solo

https://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=aus

Last edited by masonh2479; Apr 6, 2018 at 1:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 12:53 AM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 4,577
How big could this airport eventually get? Is it possible that more private planes can be moved from ABIA to the Executive Airport?
__________________
"GOOD TIMES!!!" Jerri Blank (Strangers With Candy)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 12:58 AM
masonh2479's Avatar
masonh2479 masonh2479 is online now
Semper Fidelis (PPL)
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Austin, Texas | Green Bay, Wisconsin
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
How big could this airport eventually get? Is it possible that more private planes can be moved from ABIA to the Executive Airport?
Quite possible that many planes can and will be moved from ABIA to the Executive Airport. The airport has plenty of space for more hangars, a larger ramp, and more fixed base operators. (the current fbo at the airport is one of the highest rated in the country)

The only problem that could occur is the current runways width being to narrow to accept the largest private jets. The runway will probably have to be widened from 100ft to 150ft eventually. Not quite sure on the taxiway width.

Even at the current 6,025ft, runway 13/31 has plenty of room to land many if not all common private planes. Adding length just gives more room for error, and accompanying the random billionaire with a 757.
__________________
“Never tell me the odds!” — Han Solo

https://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=aus
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 1:53 AM
sammyk sammyk is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
I'm not quite sure. It could be because of no precision approaches yet or it could be because the airport is not towered. I searched for airport diagrams for KEDC and this was all I found:
They actually just built a tower there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 1:55 AM
masonh2479's Avatar
masonh2479 masonh2479 is online now
Semper Fidelis (PPL)
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Austin, Texas | Green Bay, Wisconsin
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyk View Post
They actually just built a tower there.
Yep, saw that after I posted and added it to the bottom of my post.
__________________
“Never tell me the odds!” — Han Solo

https://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=aus
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 2:07 AM
sammyk sammyk is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
Yep, saw that after I posted and added it to the bottom of my post.
Oops, didn't see it there at the bottom of the image.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 2:17 AM
skylerspaeth's Avatar
skylerspaeth skylerspaeth is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Austin
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
I'm not quite sure. It could be because of no precision approaches yet or it could be because the airport is not towered. I searched for airport diagrams for KEDC and this was all I found:
Edit: Austin Executive does have a control tower that opened February 23, 2018.
http://txtopaviation.com/pirep-austi...control-tower/
It's interesting because the FAA provides almost all docs except a diagram, and, to what you said, any ILS approaches:
https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flig...1804&ident=EDC

I'm curious about the current condition of runway 16/34. I've seen old videos of people landing on it and it is the worst condition runway I have ever seen. Hell, a grass strip would serve just as well. It'd be nice to see it restored so it could be used more often than it is now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 2:50 AM
masonh2479's Avatar
masonh2479 masonh2479 is online now
Semper Fidelis (PPL)
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Austin, Texas | Green Bay, Wisconsin
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylerspaeth View Post
It's interesting because the FAA provides almost all docs except a diagram, and, to what you said, any ILS approaches:
https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flig...1804&ident=EDC

I'm curious about the current condition of runway 16/34. I've seen old videos of people landing on it and it is the worst condition runway I have ever seen. Hell, a grass strip would serve just as well. It'd be nice to see it restored so it could be used more often than it is now.
That is probably the worst paved runway that I have ever seen. I didn't even know it was still used till I watched the video!
__________________
“Never tell me the odds!” — Han Solo

https://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=aus
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 5:24 AM
skylerspaeth's Avatar
skylerspaeth skylerspaeth is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Austin
Posts: 27
Any timeline on all of this? If the plan isn't even released I'd assume this will take years.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 3:22 PM
masonh2479's Avatar
masonh2479 masonh2479 is online now
Semper Fidelis (PPL)
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Austin, Texas | Green Bay, Wisconsin
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylerspaeth View Post
Any timeline on all of this? If the plan isn't even released I'd assume this will take years.
I’m thinking that this project could happen sooner than we expect. Being privately owned is a big deal for getting things done fast. I don’t think the project will take billions of years like ABIA’s is.
__________________
“Never tell me the odds!” — Han Solo

https://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=aus
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 8:04 PM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 4,577
So the runway in the video is the small one. Didn't know it was in such bad condition. What is funny is you can see hay bales in the field all around it. Can't tell if there's a fence but I wonder if pilots have to dodge cows as they land lol.
__________________
"GOOD TIMES!!!" Jerri Blank (Strangers With Candy)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 8:53 PM
masonh2479's Avatar
masonh2479 masonh2479 is online now
Semper Fidelis (PPL)
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Austin, Texas | Green Bay, Wisconsin
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
So the runway in the video is the small one. Didn't know it was in such bad condition. What is funny is you can see hay bales in the field all around it. Can't tell if there's a fence but I wonder if pilots have to dodge cows as they land lol.
Quite small indeed. Runway 16/34 is listed as 1550 x 25 ft long. With the asphalt in fair condition and the runway markings in poor condition. It's an incredibly poor runway that needs to either be completely redone or closed. Though I do think it would be fun to test your luck and land on it. Theres no way someone would let cows get so close to an airport to interfere with ops
__________________
“Never tell me the odds!” — Han Solo

https://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=aus
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 12:15 AM
abigdeal's Avatar
abigdeal abigdeal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Austin, yo
Posts: 181
Back when I lived in NE Austin, I loved taking the boys out there to watch planes for a bit. Such a fun experience because you are so close to the experience.

I know nothing about the operations side. Does anyone fly scheduled flights out of there, or is it all private?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 3:06 AM
masonh2479's Avatar
masonh2479 masonh2479 is online now
Semper Fidelis (PPL)
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Austin, Texas | Green Bay, Wisconsin
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by abigdeal View Post
Back when I lived in NE Austin, I loved taking the boys out there to watch planes for a bit. Such a fun experience because you are so close to the experience.

I know nothing about the operations side. Does anyone fly scheduled flights out of there, or is it all private?
This is a privately owned general aviation airport. All scheduled commercial flights into and out of Austin go into ABIA.
__________________
“Never tell me the odds!” — Han Solo

https://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=aus
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17  
Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 10:29 PM
abigdeal's Avatar
abigdeal abigdeal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Austin, yo
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
This is a privately owned general aviation airport. All scheduled commercial flights into and out of Austin go into ABIA.
Cool. I was mostly wondering if there was some kind of super exclusive concierge operation out of there that wasn't with someone like Southwest, Delta, etc. I always assume that the 1% have access to stuff that I don't even know about and thought maybe Austin Executive had some of that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18  
Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 10:37 PM
masonh2479's Avatar
masonh2479 masonh2479 is online now
Semper Fidelis (PPL)
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Austin, Texas | Green Bay, Wisconsin
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by abigdeal View Post
Cool. I was mostly wondering if there was some kind of super exclusive concierge operation out of there that wasn't with someone like Southwest, Delta, etc. I always assume that the 1% have access to stuff that I don't even know about and thought maybe Austin Executive had some of that.
They do have a fbo that can act as a sort of concierge.
https://www.paragonaviationgroup.com...edc-austin-tx/
__________________
“Never tell me the odds!” — Han Solo

https://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=aus
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19  
Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 2:15 AM
Armybrat Armybrat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 281
Extending the runway so the 1%ers can land their G650ERs out there?

The airport owner/developer was certainly lucky & surprised when the land owner offered to sell him all his property instead of the 30 or so acres he originally wanted to buy to add onto the old Birds Nest.

Last edited by Armybrat; Apr 11, 2018 at 2:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20  
Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 3:00 AM
masonh2479's Avatar
masonh2479 masonh2479 is online now
Semper Fidelis (PPL)
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Austin, Texas | Green Bay, Wisconsin
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
Extending the runway so the 1%ers can land their G50ERs out there?

The airport owner/developer was certainly lucky & surprised when the land owner offered to sell him all his property instead of the 30 or so acres he originally wanted to buy to add onto the old Birds Nest.
Not related to the airport, but I was able to see inside a G650ER when touring a Gulfstream Service Center and they are very, very nice looking on the inside. I would love to fly one of them! I'm lucky enough to have a service center at my home airport.
__________________
“Never tell me the odds!” — Han Solo

https://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=aus
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:03 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.