HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Beitler Telecom Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 12:42 AM

Hopefully at least odds are that at least one of them shall materialize.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 12:42 AM
Time/Space

WOW!!!

I like this new tall one!!! I am not sure if thats a good location... maybe if it was setback somewhere in the middle from that location with of all the other buildings around it.

But what that hell... Built the thing!!!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 1:18 AM
Landmark Restored

Im pretty sure the design people are praising or bashing isnt the design that will be built, am I correct in thinking the actual structure is yet to be designed?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 1:18 AM
THAT Guy

SSC brought up the good point that the current location of this tower would get rid of 500 LSD lot. Man, I really want to see what that tower looks like!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 1:27 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by STERNyc
Im pretty sure the design people are praising or bashing isnt the design that will be built, am I correct in thinking the actual structure is yet to be designed?
Almost any building looks differently from it's prelim, released design. That's a given. But, obviously the concept shows a few guidelines and general massing. It's not going to change thaat much.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 2:07 AM

If they are planning to build this thing, it will be taller than the CN Tower in Toronto.

With Navy Pier nearby, and the possibility of the Fordham Spire being built, this whole area will be congested with traffic, security and tourists.

Maybe they should build it next to the new Suntimes building

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 2:11 AM

What interests me is the depreciated cash flow for this investment. Is there that large of a revenue stream from signal broadcasting that they can justify the expense of such a massive structure? It seems to me that it would make more sense to build something under it (such as the Fordham) that generates revenue, and then just put a few antennae on top.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 2:12 AM
Landmark Restored

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich
Quote:
Almost any building looks differently from it's prelim, released design. That's a given. But, obviously the concept shows a few guidelines and general massing. It's not going to change thaat much.
Im under the impression that this isn't Cesar Pelli's design rather a design created by the paper that released it.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 2:21 AM

Isengard has been Unleashed

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 2:21 AM

Looks like the guys in Chicago decided to recreate the city the way it was in I, Robot.

Well, you know all those buildings in "the future"? Well someone's gotta start building them, right?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 2:34 AM

i like it!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 2:38 AM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich
Quote:
Im under the impression that this isn't Cesar Pelli's design rather a design created by the paper that released it.
You could be correct. I'm not sure if this is a Pelli design or what. Perhaps they (like Tom) had old renderings of the same kind of building and used those.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 2:39 AM
BANNED

Nice! I like it but it might look wierd by Fordham.

Nice to be able to view higher than Sears' roof (if built).

About the newspaper articles, those guys are morons.

As a built thing it IS a building just like CN. I don't honestly care about the multi-floor dumb-ass rule. They don't even call CN a "skyscraper" as if it doesn't qualify to appear to "scrape the sky."

This new tower will look splendid on the Chicago skyline and it will be that city's tallest skyscraper. I would take that over that glorified candy cane proposed nearby.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 2:51 AM

I think 2 slim spires located to close to eachother...maybe move on to Museum Park might make a surplus to Chicago skyline instead of lowing the beauty down.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 2:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonious
Wow, If Trump and Waterview were added to that above image, it would frame out the river awesomely.

Throw in the Mandarin Oriental and the LSE at build out, and that's a sick ass build up in the middle of the skyline. NYC and HK, eat your heart out.

However, if this project really does get built, and built where it's proposed, then it had well better NOT look like it does. Nothing would suck more than 1300ft of bare, industrial looking concrete, with a couple pods of cutesy glass thrown on at either end, and 3 massive, blinking antennas on top. It would look like a fricking concrete bridge, cantilevered out of the ground.

It would be much, much more attractive to at least hang some occupabale space in regular intervals all the way up the structure, kinda sorta like a cross between the defunct 7SD and Calatrava's proposal for 80 South St in NYC.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 3:05 AM

Catching Dubai is another story....

But at least this shows this side is not dead.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 3:10 AM
Administrator

^Dubai's skyline is going to have way too much of the "tower in the park", resort style open space thing going on IMO. That city will have tall towers, but numerous other global cities will have true arbanity.

but NEways.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonious
Wow, If Trump and Waterview were added to that above image, it would frame out the river awesomely.

Throw in the Mandarin Oriental and the LSE at build out, and that's a sick ass build up in the middle of the skyline. NYC and HK, eat your heart out.

However, if this project really does get built, and built where it's proposed, then it had well better NOT look like it does. Nothing would suck more than 1300ft of bare, industrial looking concrete, with a couple pods of cutesy glass thrown on at either end, and 3 massive, blinking antennas on top. It would look like a fricking concrete bridge, cantilevered out of the ground.

It would be much, much more attractive to at least hang some occupabale space in regular intervals all the way up the structure, kinda sorta like a cross between the defunct 7SD and Calatrava's proposal for 80 South St in NYC.
Not to mention the unlimited potential of new skyscrapers that will rise on Wabash Avenue for the next few decades and beyond. There is a proposal for 80 and 70 at the moment, and it is just begining.

Oh yea, there is a 80 story building proposed for LSE too.:nuts:

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 3:24 AM
THAT Guy

If Fordham and this Tall Tower are built, the only one that can be moved is the Tall Tower really. Once you change the location of Fordham to something on the south side it's won't happen at all. One of Calatrava's sticking points was that Carley find a waterfront property.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 6:02 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Man, I'd love if they'd go with painted, black metal (a la the Eiffel Tower), or clad it in black granite. Both ideas are far too expensive for modern architecture, though. lol

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive