HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMont View Post
Well I guess it could be a nick-name.
I hate that idea. I really do. But it seems like that is going to come to fruition.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMont View Post
I thought the name "Freedom Tower" was to be dis-continued.
People across the country associate this tower strongly with the "freedom everything" rhetoric that was being bandied about in the years after 9/11. It's going to be really hard to get people to disassociate that term until this tower is occupied by thousands of workers every day, and it's being talked about as a place of business instead of the middle finger to terrorism that we all wanted (or were told we wanted) built back then.

I personally can't stand "Freedom Tower." It's about the creepiest, most Orwellian thing I can think of, and the sooner media outlets ditch it for One World Trade, the better.

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 3:19 PM
Sukaitsuri

As I'm French and I live in France, I've seen that the topping-out news was displayed on French TV channels, two days ago.

And, the building was always called "Tour de la Liberté", that means "Freedom tower" in French.

To all American members of the forum:
What is the situation in NY, and in USA ? Do the New-Yorkers, and the other citizens, call the building "Freedom tower" ?
I would like to know... I'm not in USA so I can't know directly haha

That nickname, or "second name", seems to be more and more considered as the first name of the tower... Or maybe I'm wrong

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorque View Post
As I'm French and I live in France, I've seen that the topping-out news was displayed on French TV channels, two days ago.

And, the building was always called "Tour de la Liberté", that means "Freedom tower" in French.

What is the situation in NY, and in USA ? Do the New-Yorkers, and the other citizens, call the building "Freedom tower" ?

That nickname, or "second name", seems to be more and more considered as the first name of the tower... Or maybe I'm wrong
You're not wrong! Everybody I know, family and friends still refer to it as the Freedom Tower, guess the name's gonna stick regardless of the name change.

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 4:26 PM

On the NBC news when they were live up on the crane they did say it started out as Freedom Tower but was changed to 1WTC long ago.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 4:37 AM

People may think Freedom tower is corny but there is a World Trade Center in multiple cities. It's in my opinion boring and unoriginal. Call it Port Authority tower New York Tower. The Spire. Liberty Tower. It was called freedom tower originally because the design was a nod to the statue of liberty. Of course that design is no longer. I don't care as long as it's not boring old WTC1. Boo boring is lame. Empire State. Now that's a name I could stand by.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 1:56 AM

The press has been struggling to keep it professional with 1WTC; I don't think the public will ever stop using 'Freedom Tower.'

Oh well. Who cares.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 1:58 AM

Why is it called world trade center it should be universe trade center wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 4:38 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

This thread title has it backwards. It was a mistake to market 1WTC as "Freedom Tower" back when they first started devolving Libeskind's design. Everyone here calls it what it has always been called "Trade Center."

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorque View Post

NYer here. I know people who still call it the Freedom Tower, but that's almost unanimously because they don't know any better. Not everyone follows skyscraper news like we do. I correct them, then the next time they might stutter ("Freedo...err.. One World Trade...") but then they get it. These tend to be the same people who still use the term "Ground Zero".

A lot of people call it by what they used to call it pre-9/11: the Trade Center. You say "Trade Center" in NY and everyone knows what you're talking about.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 8:07 PM
don't *meddle*...

Calling the WTC site 'Ground Zero' is even worse and also in a sense totally inappropriate.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 8:44 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Since "Freedom"and its nebulous twin "Liberty" have declined greatly since 911, I propose calling it the straightjacket tower or the having-your-junk-checked building. On account of the sheer unpleasant experiences one has to endure entering the USA.

Maybe Frisking Towers.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 3:18 AM

I love it!!!! Frisking tower is probably the best name for it.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Since "Freedom"and its nebulous twin "Liberty" have declined greatly since 911, I propose calling it the straightjacket tower or the having-your-junk-checked building. On account of the sheer unpleasant experiences one has to endure entering the USA.

Maybe Frisking Towers.
lol, it represents about as much freedom as the Patriot Act.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 10:52 PM
Architect

WTC!!!

The label "Freedumb Tower" was a Repuke/Conservative propaganda foisted upon us by the same idiots who tried to rename French Fries "Freedumb Fries" - yes, these idiots actually did that when France refused to go along with the Repuke/Bush lies that lead us into the Iraq War of CHOICE based on WMD LIES!!!

I will NEVER, EVER use that disgusting term!

I am proud to not live in FEAR like the coward REPUKES and am proud to have a PRE-911 mindset!!!

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 2:58 AM
Is That LEGO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMarko View Post
propaganda foisted upon us by the same idiots who tried to rename French Fries "Freedumb Fries"
Yea that's one of my issues with it.

The other is I've always felt the World Trade Center should be replaced with the World Trade Center. There's something indomitable in that.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 5:56 PM

Interesting article from WSJ today about the difficulty of getting people to adopt the new name, and the reluctance of many to let go of "Freedom Tower."

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 9:09 PM

:edit, mods please delete this:

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 4:33 PM
Sukaitsuri

It's almost finished.
Next year, the building will be unveiled to the world, by the medias.
It will become the new symbol of New York..

For that reason:

It is high time that they find a suitable name for that tower.

"One world trade center" is not a name. It's too long and means absolutely nothing. Just an adress.
"Freedom tower" doesn't suit for an office building. A "freedom street" or "freedom park" is OK, but not for a skyscraper.

USA should be inspired by the UK and their habit to give good nicknames to their towers.
Please USA stop giving adress names to your gorgeous towers...
you're ruining the whole thing!

How can the tourists who come to NY remember such a name like "one world trade center" ??

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 4:55 PM

Too late for that, I think the name "Freedom Tower" is here to stay. Tho I do agree with u in the sense that I would've preferred a more creative nickname, London-style; maybe The Obelisk or The Watch Tower.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture