HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I was saddened to hear Matt Nichols' post game comments about how it felt being booed.....
His comments would have pissed me right off if I were Bombers fan. What he should have said was we deserved to be booed based on our performance tonight, but we'll work harder to build ... yada yada yada.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post
His comments would have pissed me right off if I were Bombers fan. What he should have said was we deserved to be booed based on our performance tonight, but we'll work harder to build ... yada yada yada.
I was surprised by how personally Nichols took the boos. I think he was mistaken as to who the jeers were intended for, as I've pointed out above. But even if they were aimed squarely at him, he should have taken the high road... it's professional sports, he makes a handsome living playing a game. No one owes him anything.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I was surprised by how personally Nichols took the boos. I think he was mistaken as to who the jeers were intended for, as I've pointed out above. But even if they were aimed squarely at him, he should have taken the high road... it's professional sports, he makes a handsome living playing a game. No one owes him anything.
There were boos at a RedBlacks game earlier this season. Within the crowd, there were people yelling to not boo our own team. I agree with this. I will only boo the referees, or maybe the other team. But, it is never a good idea to boo the home team. A team is a team, and when you boo, it is booing the whole team. You can't boo the coaching staff and have that understood.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 6:31 PM

Some places are like that... Ottawa and Edmonton certainly fit that mold. Winnipeg, however, is for better or for worse the kind of place where people will loudly rag on the home team if they feel the urge.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 7:44 PM

Booing the home team is probably never a good idea for making things better. People should think when they boo or make non stop negative posts at a website, does this actually contribute to making things better? Unless it is a clear case of the players quitting and not trying, the home team should not be booed. Often the reasons for poor performance are by then beyond the player's control.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 7:51 PM

Could this be a steal? I thought this guy would be the next Jason Clermont after the 2016 CFL draft. Will he get a break in Regina?

Riders make trade with Argos for former first round pick Canadian receiver Brian Jones
3Down Staff August 20, 2018

The Saskatchewan Roughriders have acquired Canadian receiver Brian Jones from the Toronto Argonauts in exchange for a seventh-round selection in the 2019 CFL draft.

The 24-year-old was selected in the first round, fourth overall of the 2016 CFL draft. Jones has played 24 games recording 24 catches for 128 yards and one touchdown. He’s played special teams as all making nine tackles and blocking one punt.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 8:09 PM
arf

Saskatchewan does not seem to be a place to make a living at the present moment.

Of course, you could always find yourself back in town in a couple of months.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Saskatchewan does not seem to be a place to make a living at the present moment. Of course, you could always find yourself back in town in a couple of months.
Not quite sure what you mean unless you are refering to Bagg and Carter but the Riders and Collaros looked pretty darn good against the Stamps.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 9:41 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Not quite sure what you mean unless you are refering to Bagg and Carter but the Riders and Collaros looked pretty darn good against the Stamps.
Definitely Bagg for the recent referral. Collaros didn't turn the ball over which is what the Riders need and the special teams didn't hand the Riders a -7 balance sheet for the end of the game this week. Calgary coughing up 3 fumbles helped. Hats off to Lauther for a stellar game bailing out a team that still can't score offensive touchdowns.

Still, happy to be 4-4. Sets up a huge game in BC this week and then the back-to-back games against Winnipeg.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Collaros looked pretty darn good against the Stamps.
Ya I have to admit I was on here a couple weeks ago saying that I thought Collaros better days were behind him as he didn't seem to have any confidence or poise in the pocket, so I'll eat crow on that as he had plenty of both on Sunday

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 1:47 PM

^ Yeah, Sask sure looks like a different team when Collaros is at the helm. If he stays healthy, I think second place is a strong possibility for the Riders.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post
Ya I have to admit I was on here a couple weeks ago saying that I thought Collaros better days were behind him as he didn't seem to have any confidence or poise in the pocket, so I'll eat crow on that as he had plenty of both on Sunday
I thought the same thing but that game against the Stamps had to have been a real confidence builder. He looked like he was able to do the things he set out to do. I don't think that's a one off, I'd say the old Collaros is back.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 8:12 PM
arf

The offensive line did well. No sacks makes for an easier day. Compare that to the game where he was injured. Ottawa was in his face the whole time and he threw two interceptions and was sacked once before being pulled out of the game with a 4-10 for 106 yards a touchdown and two interceptions.

I am hoping we are back to having an offensive line.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 2:19 AM

Barnburner in Hamilton as Ticats are making a late comeback on TNF.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 2:28 AM

Wow, great ending on last TNF game of season.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 6:14 PM

Duron Carter expected to sign with Argos: sources
Justin Dunk 3downnation August 24, 2018

Duron Carter’s visit to Toronto is expected to become permanent at least for the remainder of the 2018 season.

Multiple sources say Carter is joining the Argos and plans to sign a contract – barring a complete change of minds from both sides – that would put the 27-year-old in double blue after the boatmen play Montreal on Friday. The 2017 CFL all-star receiver was in Toronto meeting with the Argos this week.

Current Argonauts general manager Jim Popp bought Carter to the CFL in 2013 while he held the same position in Montreal. Over 40 games with Montreal, Carter made 185 receptions for 2,877 yards and 17 touchdowns. The Alouettes released Carter 14 games through the 2016 season, but the decision had more to do with then-head coach Jacques Chapdelaine than Popp.

Carter has the same agent, Mitch Frankel, as Toronto Raptors’ star Kawhi Leonard and the two athletes know each other well. That’s one of the basketball-related ties the playmaking pass catcher has to Toronto. Uncle Butch Carter, brother of Hall of Fame receiver Cris Carter, played six seasons in the NBA and was the head coach of the Raptors for three seasons (1998-2000) lives in the GTA.

Through 65 career CFL games, Carter has 266 receptions for 4,031 yards and 26 touchdowns, averaging 980 receiving yards per season.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 8:18 PM
arf

A big thanks to Hamilton for the comeback win against Edmonton last night.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 5:13 AM

How about that Rupert Pupkin? Is Johnny "Canadian" Football going to get "Pipped" again

Pipkin opening eyes after second career start
cfl staff August 25, 2018

MONTREAL — There was a time, not that long ago, when Antonio Pipkin was no longer part of the Montreal Alouettes’ future.

Now, after turning in two impressive starts, including a 25-22 win over the Toronto Argonauts Friday night, he may have just forced himself into their plans.

Pipkin threw for 303 yards and scored twice on the ground in his second career start, setting up Boris Bede‘s game-winning field goal with 1:10 remaining for the Als’ first home win of 2018.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 8:06 PM
Rational urbanist

Time to fast track that Halifax team or else Johnny won't have anywhere he can start!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 10:48 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Time to fast track that Halifax team or else Johnny won't have anywhere he can start!
Maybe Winnipeg.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada